Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Front first still has a 'slight' chance the Nanny will react a little bit quicker, but it really is slight, and the better grip you get will transfer into better directional control and ryding.

With the bigger rear going on first, you'll get very mild understeer, where the Nanny might feel you are going into a corner slightly over-cooked, the slightly changed front/rear heights will fool the sensors into thinking you've turned hard but the Spyder isn't responding as fast as you've turned, so she'll maybe try to stop the Spyder over-running the front tires - which she WILL do if that really does happen anyway! But if you do the front tires first you'll have better, quicker, & more direct turn in so the tail may feel a fraction loose, so the Nanny might be fooled into thinking that you've turned to hard too fast, so she'll maybe try to stop you hanging the tail &/or spinning - which she WILL do if that really does happen anyway!

So whichever end you do first when you are changing tire sizes, there will be a SLIGHT CHANCE that the Nanny MIGHT try to intervervene a little more often or earlier in some instances until you fit some correspondingly taller tires on the other end! Please note the words in caps - SLIGHT, CHANCE, & MIGHT. That is not a certainty, this 'earlier intervention' is very much dependent upon a heap of things including how hard you ryde & how sticky the road surfaces you ryde on may be, but there is a SLIGHT chance that it MIGHT occur, & that can be surprising if you haven't been warned, so here's the warning. But it is a VERY slight chance and even if it occurs it shouldn't be anything drastic or upsetting or even dangerous - the Nanny we have in our Spyders is one of the best in the game at keeping you safe - most of the time you'll be hard pressed to notice any intervention anyway.

This is something that you don't need to be upset about at all, you probably run a greater risk of falling over at home than you have of your Spyder's Nanny really surprising you. Just be aware that if you change the tire size on one end of your Spyder & not on the other at the same time, because you have such a great Nanny, she might intervene just a little more often than you've become used to until you change the tire/s on the other end to correspondingly taller tires. Heck, I know for a fact that there are some people out there who have purposefully fitted slightly taller tires up front and noticeably smaller tires on the back just so they can do things within the scope of the Nanny's intervention parameters to make their ryding more exciting!! Then they've discovered that the only thing about doing is that by varying tire sizes in the way they have, they've already used up some of the Nanny's safety margins so now she steps in earlier when they try to drift so they've got no nett gain!! She's a really smart piece of kit, our Nanny!

Fit whichever end first you need to, & ryde it until you need to do the other end, safe in the knowledge that your Spyder's Nanny WILL be doing her thing all the time to keep you safe, and there's not a heap of things you can do that will escape her attention! She's STILL gonna be looking after you whatever you do! And that shouldn't detract a heap from your ryding enjoyment, altho it might just help you develop better ryding skills once you work out where & why she's intervening so you can practice ryding right up to but not over the boundaries she sets!
    Peter I apologize - we are on the same page with the NANNY as you described it above …… When I think of NANNY interference as being a problem, it's because the size difference between the tires is so large the NANNY - SHUTS the bike down completely and won't let you drive it ……. but after reading your last explanation I see that wasn't where you were at …… I remember back when I had mounted a Toyo Proxes T1r 185/55-15 on the front tires to my RT ( after shimming fender brackets and wheels ) … because I was getting extremely good front traction , I triggered the NANNY ( VSS ) a lot more often...… imho the NANNY detects " G " forces and responds accordingly …… NOT sliding/skidding also trips Her …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for taking the time to explain all of this. Now I really feel educated about tires!