Spyder Garage

Default Miles to empty accuracy

How dependable is it to rely on the miles to empty (Autonomy) display. Reason I ask is when I filled up last I reset my trip odometer. I've rode 118 miles since then and my Miles-to-empty reads 110 miles. That would be a range of 228 miles on a tank and 43.18 mpg. From what I've read in forums most people are getting around 30 ish mpg.

Spyder Garage

Probably not very accurate as how hard you ride it is going to significantly affect your mpg.

Fill the tank full, then see how much gas you use vs miles driven between fill ups. Do that a dozen times and you’ll have a pretty fair idea how far you can go on a tank given how you ride.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ryker, not sure what they are getting for the 600 and the 900. I will need to do a search.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 05-08-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Change for Ryker
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    How dependable is it to rely on the miles to empty (Autonomy) display. Reason I ask is when I filled up last I reset my trip odometer. I've rode 118 miles since then and my Miles-to-empty reads 110 miles. That would be a range of 228 miles on a tank and 43.18 mpg. From what I've read in forums most people are getting around 30 ish mpg.
    The amount is going to vary Widely … weather, type of gas, rider speeds etc. etc. ….. Last year I ran my 14 RT to empty ( and I shut it off immediately. ) I got 245 miles and I ride briskly all the time. I have found over the years that you have 1.3 gal. of usable gas AFTER the warning light goes on …… I Always have 750ml. of gas with me me ( about 10 miles worth ), so I wasn't concerned about going empty..... yours mileage may differ …....... Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't think I would trust it for now. I see the same thing as you everyone getting about 28 - 35 mpg. I always use my trip meter on the HD or RT and fill every 150 miles or so.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

The miles to empty (range) is only determined by how you rode since it was last reset. It does not (can not) consider how you WILL ride on the remaining fuel. Too many variables for it to be accurate..... hills, wind, speed..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

And in my experience, the 'miles to empty/range' figure appears randomly. I didn't see it for the first couple 100 miles and then had a hard time getting back to 'avg mpg'. Now I don't seem to be able to find it. But I rely on the odometer, resetting one each fill up (if I'm traveling and both if I'm not.) I would not trust either the fuel 'meter' or the miles to empty/range figures. As for economy, I've been commuting 6 miles each way, four times a day. Avg MPG readout varies from 26 when I start out cold to 27+ when I stop. Then it repeats each time, each way. Goofy.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice feature....

It's nice to know how far you can go till empty but it is not going to be exact nor does it register in a even progression. You may find the drop faster at some point. I make it a habit to start looking for fuel once the warning light comes on knowing well I have 35 miles or so till empty and carry a one liter fuel bottle.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have that feature on my car. I take it with a grain of salt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    And in my experience, the 'miles to empty/range' figure appears randomly. I didn't see it for the first couple 100 miles and then had a hard time getting back to 'avg mpg'. Now I don't seem to be able to find it. But I rely on the odometer, resetting one each fill up (if I'm traveling and both if I'm not.) I would not trust either the fuel 'meter' or the miles to empty/range figures. As for economy, I've been commuting 6 miles each way, four times a day. Avg MPG readout varies from 26 when I start out cold to 27+ when I stop. Then it repeats each time, each way. Goofy.
    Cycle through the display until you see the "Autonomy" option. That is "Miles to Empty". I like the idea of carrying a small amount of gas with me.

Spyder Garage

Cycle through the display until you see the "Autonomy" option. That is "Miles to Empty". I like the idea of carrying a small amount of gas with me.
    I carry a small amount of Gas in a plastic bottle that was used for Liquor …. WHY ? that container …. because it was designed to hold Alcohol without leaking ( even odor ) it works for Gas …. You can find them in oval shapes and even rectangular ones ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I carry a small amount of Gas in a plastic bottle that was used for Liquor …. WHY ? that container …. because it was designed to hold Alcohol without leaking ( even odor ) it works for Gas …. You can find them in oval shapes and even rectangular ones ….. good luck …. Mike
    How often to you change it out or do you add a fuel stabilizer to it?

And since this is my first post this is a great group!...........ed
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    How often to you change it out or do you add a fuel stabilizer to it?

And since this is my first post this is a great group!...........ed
    I missed " the first post " sorry …. Sooooooooooo & ….. I add " Startron " to the container. and usually change it Twice per season ….. Startron claims to negate the Ethanol in the gas ,,, I try to put Ethyl-free in the container …… My 1.5 lt. container guarantee's me 15 miles to get gas …... Mike

Spyder Garage

Here is a fuel option in a safe container for long term storage. https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-32-...e-Fuel/3654390

It's high test and alcohol free
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Here is a fuel option in a safe container for long term storage. https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-32-...e-Fuel/3654390

It's high test and alcohol free
    ... That is IDEAL solution, however it's NOT in-expensive ….. I have given my Gas to more than a few motorists …. Sorry but that wouldn't happen using your item …..just sayin …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I am just a daily(when possible) 900 Ryker rider that loves the fast curvy country lane roads. I'm not into 75-90 mph blasts down the interstates. So in 10 tanks of gas i am averaging 36 MPG. One trip with some sport bikes got me down to 32 MPG because i was at maxed throttle most of the time. The Autonomy ain't accurate with a full tank of gas. How could it be when the gas gauge doesn't even read a lever until you are at 1/2 tank. It just stays at the full mark till you get halfway, then it starts dropping somewhat quicker than you expect. Poor design for the fuel tank and level gauge. Now, i just use the odometer mileage and amount of gas at the fillup to determine MPG. Basically i have about 150 miles til the low light comes on, then i stop for gas. I also seem to never get a full 5 gallons into the tank( even when i ran out of gas on purpose)on the 5.28 gallon tank. So it makes me think there is still gas in the tank even when the fuel line inlet is above the fuel level.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... That is IDEAL solution, however it's NOT in-expensive ….. I have given my Gas to more than a few motorists …. Sorry but that wouldn't happen using your item …..just sayin …. Mike
    How much is it worth to you to ride instead of walk? I'm just saying... Anyway even if you share fuel you can reuse the can. We carry a few of these in all of our boats for get home fuel.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    How much is it worth to you to ride instead of walk? I'm just saying... Anyway even if you share fuel you can reuse the can. We carry a few of these in all of our boats for get home fuel.
    OK , I didn't know they were re-fillable ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

I do know that my mileage changes if I use the Eco mode instead of the non Eco mode. No one is talking about which mode they are in. I use both modes depending on the traffic that I am in. When I use the non Eco mode I know I do not get the same mileage and have to refill quicker. I have not figured out my mileage chart as yet as I have enough gas stations around for now.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts