Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up BRP windscreen installed !

I have received my brp wind screen / deflection system today and put it on. At first glance, seemed well built.
    Windscreen: - 23" tall
    The wind screen installed with only one issue. They use plastic screws for the top 2 screws. go figure, I snapped one off and had to remove it. Went with all metal screws. Looks very good though, covers the hands nicely. There is no bluring or warped vision if you look through it.

The wind deflectors:
    not bad to install except they are not labeled, with a L or R. so look at the pictures VERY closely or you will install it on the wrong side only to swap it later. Sturdy they seem and they block the wind nicely. They also break up the lines of the spyder giving it a different persona,

The ride:
    on back roads, my main face shield can be lifted and ride with glasses, some but not a ton of wind is felt on the face. The screen was confortable to ride behind on back roads. The highway was most noticable. I am 5'7" tall, the screen did its job. There was very limited buffering though. I also have the brp riser installed though. The leg deflectors did a fantastic job as I got caught in the rain. came off actually dry while riding. This is the first time I could hear the spyder on the highway as it created a nice air pocket. again, hands nicely covered. A majority of my rides are highway in the boston area. hand coverage is a good thing up here.
    Now the big question answered. I CAN use my BRP cover and it DOES cover the spyder with out an issue. Ill add to this post in a bit with some photos.
    My personal opinion

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

windscreen photos are on my flickr. they were to large to upload here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30938419@N03/

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok now that looks good! Now I am going to my dealer tuesday and find out they haven't got one in and fail to tell me about it today if they had one in? Looks really good! And the rear cam is also cool!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got mine the other day. Like the shield, the winglets, not so much. Up close they look like a tacked on afterthought, and tupperware on top of tupperware slows up maintainance, so I took them off. I will probably put them back on when the weather turns dirty, though.

RT-S PE#0174
    Spyder Garage

I am looking into replacing my windshield also. I have a couple of questions for you. Where did you order your windshield from? Did the wind-deflectors come with the windshield? or was that seperate? Spyder is cool looking!!! Where did you get the back-up monitor from? Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ordered the windscreen back in december when it first was priced out so I got it for the 250. It did include the wind deflectors windscreen and all hardware. They are shipping out by my dealer in MA has about 4 still on back order. The back up cam I bought at advanced autoparts. 100 bucks for it. It is a wireless system and wred ito the rear license plate light so it is on continously. still playing with the location of the monitor though.

RT-S PE#0174
    Spyder Garage

From who did you order the windshield? Thanks

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Touring windshield

I just picked up my touring windshield and deflectors yesterday. Was to hot to install yesterday or today. Mighty tough not getting out there and getting it done but with garage temps in the 100+ range and shade tree temps in the 95+ range just couldn't do it. Choppin' at the bit though to do it.

Kit looks real good and straight forward to install. I would suggest if you are over 5'9" get the 25" set.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Installed touring windshield

Well, I couldn't stand it... it started to cloud up dropping the temp to 89. I got out there and installed the BRP touring wind shield . She let me take it for a spin... no more wind sting on my arms or chest. Still get the buffeting on my forehead though. Then my SO took it for a spin, it's her SE5, and she experienced the same buffeting on her forehead and she is 5'7', I'm 5'10'. Now we wish we had ordered the 25 inch model instead of the 23 inch.

She said she was going to call on Tuesday, not open on monday, and order the 25 inch. If she does I'll be listing a 23 inch on the classifieds soon.

It does make a big difference though. When I get the deflectors mounted I suspect it will make an even bigger difference.

Spyder Garage

How & where do the deflectors connect?

I ask because I'm about to place DZUS on all of the panels, but I'm concerned that the deflectors are tied into the bolts on the black panels. This may stack too much material for a DZUS clip

Also, I just installed the new BRP seat and sit a bit higher in the saddle. At 6'2" I wonder if the 25" windshield would be high enough? Which leads to the next question - would I do better with a CHAD 25" over a BRP, since the angle can be changed?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

take a look at my photos. the brackets use the 2 screws that the 2 overlaping panels use. They have a rubber mounted strip to protect the finish also. The windscreen kit was purchased from my dealer in chelmsford ma. He has 4 still on back order

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quantumleap39 View Post
    take a look at my photos. the brackets use the 2 screws that the 2 overlaping panels use. They have a rubber mounted strip to protect the finish also. The windscreen kit was purchased from my dealer in chelmsford ma. He has 4 still on back order
    Thanks.

I may hold off on the DZUS until I get the shield.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default You may want to install a...

I installed the 23 inch BRP but I wish I had installed a 25 or the CHAD which is adjustable. If you install the 25 CHAD you may want to see if someone that installed the BRP but did not install the deflectors wants to sell them. I've noticed that some install the wind shield but not the deflectors.

Right now we, my SO and I, are considering getting the CHAD because it is adjustable which should stop some of the forehead buffeting. But having said that the 25 inch BRP might stop it. I do like the style of the BRP better because the widest part of the flare near the bottom goes all the way out to the edge of the turn signal. This dramatically increases the wind protection on the arms.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    I installed the 23 inch BRP but I wish I had installed a 25 or the CHAD which is adjustable. If you install the 25 CHAD you may want to see if someone that installed the BRP but did not install the deflectors wants to sell them. I've noticed that some install the wind shield but not the deflectors.

Right now we, my SO and I, are considering getting the CHAD because it is adjustable which should stop some of the forehead buffeting. But having said that the 25 inch BRP might stop it. I do like the style of the BRP better because the widest part of the flare near the bottom goes all the way out to the edge of the turn signal. This dramatically increases the wind protection on the arms.
    Thanks for the advice.

I like the adjustability of the CHAD, but I agree with you on the BRP style where you get more hand/arm protection. I rode into the beginning of December (Connecticut) last year and though I have heated grips the extra protection for the tops of my hands may be better than what the CHAD offers.

As for the head buffeting, I'm 6'2" and I have the short BRP windshield and the Scorpion 1000 helmet, I don't really experience too much. I think this has a lot to do with the aerodynamics of the Scorpion helmet; as long as I stay in line with the windshield, the buffeting is minimal, even at high speed.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    As for the head buffeting, I'm 6'2" and I have the short BRP windshield and the Scorpion 1000 helmet, I don't really experience too much. I think this has a lot to do with the aerodynamics of the Scorpion helmet; as long as I stay in line with the windshield, the buffeting is minimal, even at high speed.
    You may actually experience a lot more head buffeting with a taller shield than the stock one, even with the Scorpion helmet. The strong part of the windstream coming over a stock windshield or a sport touring shield hits your body. You are less likely to notice buffeting there. A taller shield, that is not quite tall enough, at the wrong angle, or spaced to far away, will allow the strong part of the windstream to hit the top of the helmet, or even lower. Often this is due more to turbulence, and not the direct windstream itself. Having no wind pressure on the body or the rest of the head, combined with significant wind pressure hitting high on the helmet, results in the feeling of buffeting, especially as the neck muscles get tired the longer you ride. This is exaggerated if the air is turbulent. For whatever reason, steady strong pressure over the entire helmet doesn't produce this buffeting effect. Maybe somebody here that understand aerodynamics can explain this phenomenon better.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I am not a Aerodynamics Expert . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You may actually experience a lot more head buffeting with a taller shield than the stock one, even with the Scorpion helmet. The strong part of the windstream coming over a stock windshield or a sport touring shield hits your body. You are less likely to notice buffeting there. A taller shield, that is not quite tall enough, at the wrong angle, or spaced to far away, will allow the strong part of the windstream to hit the top of the helmet, or even lower. Often this is due more to turbulence, and not the direct windstream itself. Having no wind pressure on the body or the rest of the head, combined with significant wind pressure hitting high on the helmet, results in the feeling of buffeting, especially as the neck muscles get tired the longer you ride. This is exaggerated if the air is turbulent. For whatever reason, steady strong pressure over the entire helmet doesn't produce this buffeting effect. Maybe somebody here that understand aerodynamics can explain this phenomenon better.
    -Scotty
    . . . . but I think you described it perfectly Scotty.

I actually get less buffeting with the short stock BRP windshield, though I get a lot more wind.
    It seems to be a difficult equation to balance between the Helmet + Windshield + Rider Height + Speed. I still have not found the right combination.

Tom

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    ......It seems to be a difficult equation to balance between the Helmet + Windshield + Rider Height + Speed. I still have not found the right combination.

Tom
    Yeah, if we knew the secret formula, we'd be rich by now from selling the solution.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . but I think you described it perfectly Scotty.

I actually get less buffeting with the short stock BRP windshield, though I get a lot more wind.
    It seems to be a difficult equation to balance between the Helmet + Windshield + Rider Height + Speed. I still have not found the right combination.

Tom
    Thanks Tom. You, and Scotty, have given me something to think about. I may try test driving a few of these shields, if I can, before I shell out anymore $$$$

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerspachb View Post
    From who did you order the windshield? Thanks
    They are a BRP product, just like your Spyder. You buy them from your dealer or some other vendor that sells BRP products.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    How & where do the deflectors connect?

I ask because I'm about to place DZUS on all of the panels, but I'm concerned that the deflectors are tied into the bolts on the black panels. This may stack too much material for a DZUS clip

Also, I just installed the new BRP seat and sit a bit higher in the saddle. At 6'2" I wonder if the 25" windshield would be high enough? Which leads to the next question - would I do better with a CHAD 25" over a BRP, since the angle can be changed?
    Zero, if quick panel removal is a priority for you, these wind deflectors are a problem. They have an internal metal bracket which is too thick for 14mm Dzus, you would need longer. I'm not sure how long or if they are available. The bracket covers the joint between the "Can-Am" panel and the fog light panel. By preventing easy removal of the Can- Am" panel, it causes removal\ replacement of the oil reservoir panel and opposite side cooler panel to be a bit more awkward, as well. Finally, the screws supplied for the outside plastic of the deflectors require a 4mm Allen wrench ( go figure!) and the deflector itself is an awkward 3 piece affair. Some people have stated that the deflectors cause too much heat in summer ryding. I did not find that myself, but I mostly ryde in a northen latitude. I think the weather will have to be pretty cold before I put those ugly suckers back on my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Zero, if quick panel removal is a priority for you, these wind deflectors are a problem. They have an internal metal bracket which is too thick for 14mm Dzus, you would need longer. I'm not sure how long or if they are available. The bracket covers the joint between the "Can-Am" panel and the fog light panel. By preventing easy removal of the Can- Am" panel, it causes removal replacement of the oil reservoir panel and opposite side cooler panel to be a bit more awkward, as well. Finally, the screws supplied for the outside plastic of the deflectors require a 4mm Allen wrench ( go figure!) and the deflector itself is an awkward 3 piece affair. Some people have stated that the deflectors cause too much heat in summer ryding. I did not find that myself, but I mostly ryde in a northen latitude. I think the weather will have to be pretty cold before I put those ugly suckers back on my Spyder.
    Thanks Neez.

Good info. I'll have to think about it a bit. Knee-jerk response is, I don't want anything else to add/take-off when working on the

I really appreciate the info. Thanks again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Scotty I need more power...

Why is it, after I installed the new BRP 23" windshield my Hindle exhaust sounds more like a straight pipe on a Harley, it's quite loud.
    Is it because the shield creates a dead space of air that will allow more ambiant sounds to be heard. Therefor not allowing the air to drown out the sound thats always been there previous to installing the larger windshield.

Scotty do you think that I should change out my 23" for the 25" so I don't get so much rushing air on the top of the helmet? I'm 5'10"

Motza
    Last edited by Motza; 07-07-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motza View Post
    Why is it, after I installed the new BRP 23" windshield my Hindle exhaust sounds more like a straight pipe on a Harley, it's quite loud.
    Is it because the shield creates a dead space of air that will allow more ambiant sounds to be heard. Therefor not allowing the air to drown out the sound thats always been there previous to installing the larger windshield.

What did I just say???

Motza
    I'm not Scotty but, yes... a large screen will allow you to hear things you didn't before. The next you know, you'll be on here talking about all of the engine noises you can now hear.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    I'm not Scotty but, yes... a large screen will allow you to hear things you didn't before. The next you know, you'll be on here talking about all of the engine noises you can now hear.

Funny you should say that ata dude, I just got back from a 45 minute ride into town without my earplugs and yes I heard the engine noises that I never heard before...Now I'm really confused...new engine noises, louder exhaust... maybe I should just go back to the Ultra touring windshield and I'll here nothing.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motza View Post

Scotty do you think that I should change out my 23" for the 25" so I don't get so much rushing air on the top of the helmet? I'm 5'10"

What did I just say???

Motza
    Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post

I am Scotty, and approve of AtaDude,s message. You will hear lots of things you didn't hear before with a larger or differently shaped windshield. As you get used to the new noises, you will discover more. Pretty soon it can drive you nuts thinking something new has gone wrong.

As to the air hitting the helmet, it is hard to say. In general, a taller shield will raise the wind about as much as it is taller, but air turbulence from the design can alter that. It also depends on where the air hits you. If it hits three inches down on your helmet, two more inches alone won't help, you need a different shape or windshield angle. That is why the adjustable shields are so handy. How the windshield works also depends a lot on how you ride. An effective shield at 55 mph at rural road speeds, may be windy and noisy at 70 mph on the slab. A shield that works at the posted speed limit may not work at 20+ over the posted.
    -Scotty