Thread: M2 Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default M2 Shocks

I ordered a full set of M2 Shocks to help with stability and handling on my 2013 RT-S. I received the shocks the Thursday before Spyderfest with the hopes of getting them installed for my ride to Pitbull Motorsports on Saturday. Before I began the install I gave Marcus McBain (M2 Shocks) a call. Marcus told me what to expect and how the shocks would affect how the Spyder sits; the Spyder will sit lower in the front end after install by design.

Marcus stayed in contact with me throughout the install process to ensure everything went smoothly. I did have to adjust my ride height up a little because my size compressed the front a little too much for my liking. After a few test rides and speaking with Marcus I got my front shocks set stiff enough that my bike doesn’t bob and weave like it once did, but it is still plush enough that I don’t feel like I’m riding an unsprung rock. The best thing about the shocks is they are fully and easily adjustable. Marcus is especially helpful and will make sure you are happy with his product. I can honestly say I have never experienced product support this good.
    M2 Shocks.jpgFront Shocks.jpgRear shocks.jpg

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Nice install review ... seems that product support is beyond what one would expect. Now where is the ryde review....??? let us know....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The ride is much more stable and I was able to corner with much more confidence. I do need to soften up the rear shock a bit as I have it set a little stiff right now, but I do prefer a more firm ride. I was worried at first about scraping since the front end sits lower but haven't had any additional issues. I have not taken it out two up just yet though. As I said adjusting is super easy just a click of a knob that is easily accessible.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

If the front ride height has been altered, the front wheel alignment should be reset to ensure correct wheel alignment. Spyders are prone to bump steer which is unwanted induced alignment change as the suspension moves. Altering the laden ride height affects this.

All the best with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If the front ride height has been altered, the front wheel alignment should be reset to ensure correct wheel alignment. Spyders are prone to bump steer which is unwanted induced alignment change as the suspension moves. Altering the laden ride height affects this.

All the best with it.
    I have personally developed our suspension and extensively tested the suspension...this is a non issue after putting 1500 miles on the chassis.

Marcus McBain

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Shocks View Post
    I have personally developed our suspension and extensively tested the suspension...this is a non issue after putting 1500 miles on the chassis.

Marcus McBain
    Regardless, altering ride height affects toe in. Toe in on the Spyder is critical. If the machine is raised even a slight amount, toe in is altered enough to create concerns. Conversely, lowering the front is worse, as it creates toe out, and with that the machine looses stability.

When first posted about these M2 shocks, I visited your website. Granted, you have credentials, but realize also, you may not be the only suspension tuner that is involved with Spyders.

As a racer, you understand the importance of correct chassis settings and setup. The Spyders primitive front end steering geometry is a critical performance tuning criteria.

All the best with your M2 Spyder series shocks, truthfully, it is good to see another player at the table regarding Spyder performance suspension.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for bringing this up as a point of discussion.

The point that is brought up is true to a degree, you actually have to look at "where does the Spyder actually ride at?" We did not put full travel sensors on, but we did extensive video analysis of the the front and rear. The stock shocks are so bad, they constantly "move all over the place".

So, the static position is largely academic as that is "not the actual riding/real driving position". Here are some "before and after" videos. We choose the ride height selected as it provided the most consistent/correct position for the wheel to ride/travel. We did two machines with no sway bar...and we completely eliminated the "wandering" without that cost or part.

Video of the stock shocks

Video with M2.Shocks

I somewhat hesitate to answer this as I cannot completely put into a post the tremendous time we invest in "doing it right", and it is easy to pick an "Internet fact of discussion", but I do want customers to know WE PUT MORE INTO THIS THAN THEY CAN POSSIBLY KNOW. The original Spyder we did 2 year ago has many thousands of miles on it...and they are very happy customers. There has been no uneven tire wear or issues that have been alluded to.

Thank you all for the opportunity to make your hobby more enjoyable.
    Last edited by M2Shocks; 05-07-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: To thank the poster that brought the issue up for discussion

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Shocks View Post
    Thank you for bringing this up as a point of discussion.

The point that is brought up is true to a degree, you actually have to look at "where does the Spyder actually ride at?" We did not put full travel sensors on, but we did extensive video analysis of the the front and rear. The stock shocks are so bad, they constantly "move all over the place".

So, the static position is largely academic as that is "not the actual riding/real driving position". Here are some "before and after" videos. We choose the ride height selected as it provided the most consistent/correct position for the wheel to ride/travel. We did two machines with no sway bar...and we completely eliminated the "wandering" without that cost or part.

Video of the stock shocks

Video with M2.Shocks

I somewhat hesitate to answer this as I cannot completely put into a post the tremendous time we invest in "doing it right", and it is easy to pick an "Internet fact of discussion", but I do want customers to know WE PUT MORE INTO THIS THAN THEY CAN POSSIBLY KNOW. The original Spyder we did 2 year ago has many thousands of miles on it...and they are very happy customers. There has been no uneven tire wear or issues that have been alluded to.

Thank you all for the opportunity to make your hobby more enjoyable.
    My replies are posted with full respect towards your efforts and an understanding of your goals.

In simplest words, please realize, the front steering geometry and associated interrelationship with the front suspension design induces bump steer. With that, and I fully grasp that you optimized your settings based on suspension arm positions, any change in or movement of the front suspension results in bump steer.

That said, if the ride height prior to, with oem shocks sets at say 100mm, AND the machine has been properly front end aligned at that 100mm, any change away from 100mm, will effect front wheel alignment.

I have measured our Spyders front toe dimension and adjusted as needed. Prior to installing my performance suspension, I measured the chassis height. Upon completing the installation of the performance suspension, I rode the vehicle a few miles, letting things settle. I then rechecked the chassis height. The change was very small at 10 mm difference. Again, I checked the front wheel alignment. Suffice to say, I was very surprised to see the dimensional change to the front alignment was off considerably.

With front alignment corrected and performance suspension added, handling was much improved.

The change in toe from raising the chassis, was an increase in Toe In. This resulted in the most stable the Spyder had ever been, but tire scrub was noticeable compared to a proper setup.

All the best with your products. My remarks are not bashing nor attacking your product or you, merely simple basic of chassis design and performance.

Spyder Garage

All I can say is that the M2 shocks have vastly improved my ride. I prefer a stiffer suspension setup and these shocks deliver. I also know they will provide a more plush ride as well and I have that tuneability if I choose that ride type in the future. Great shocks, excellent support. I will not hesitate to recommend these shocks to anyone and will equip on another Spyder if I should purchase one.

2013 RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got mine yesterday installed last night Took about hour and a half or so ride height same What little riding i have done so far is very very improved what a difference

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where do you purchase M2 Shocks for a 2019 RT?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage