Spyder Garage

Default What Model year to consider?

Ok sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find it. I am looking to get my first Spyder! I will use it mainly for recreation not touring. I have had plenty of 2 wheelers but I just love the spyder! Naturally I am looking to save on cost so I am searching used ones.

Question - what is the oldest year for a used model I should consider? I saw an awesome priced 2010 with 3k miles but I am afraid that model does not have enough of the newer upgrades or features as they make it better each year. I was told by one person to try and get a 2016 or newer. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

first off, we all love the spyder too. Nextly, what model are you thinking about? In 2010 they were using the 998twin across the line.
    In 2014 they changed to the 1330 triple , a huge upgrade, except maybe in exhaust note. A lot of folks just getting their feet wet,
    so to speak, are opting for a Ryker. There are lots of low mile, gently used spyders, of all years out there, Without a little more info
    about your preferences and stuff it is tough to recommend one. If it was ME, I would go with any that are 2014 or newer, just to get the 1330
    and six speed.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Hi 13,

Re: Naturally I am looking to save on cost so I am searching used ones.

Give this some consideration: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...2008-Spyder-RS

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with the 998 twin. The 1330 is better and newer, but if all that is in your budget is an older one, you will still have fun. I have a 2009 RS SE5 and it is fun to ride . Just find a well maintained one, and enjoy.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

If it's about price....Ryker new or 998 twin (2013 or older). Most 2010's and older can be had for less than $10K. The original 2008/09 GS/RS have been as low as $6K on the site.

If it's about the engine...1330 came on the RT's and F3's in 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies and info. I was mainly wondering because one of the dealers I spoke with said I should go 2016 or newer to get all the computer and tuning updates as well but looking around it seems everyone is happy with any year, If I was to get a newer one I like the SPyder F3 and would be perfect as I won't be using it much for long distances. Just around town and some weekend rides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadneck13 View Post
    Thanks for the replies and info. I was mainly wondering because one of the dealers I spoke with said I should go 2016 or newer to get all the computer and tuning updates as well but looking around it seems everyone is happy with any year, If I was to get a newer one I like the SPyder F3 and would be perfect as I won't be using it much for long distances. Just around town and some weekend rides.
    Consider the source of the information. I bet he had something that would fit his recommendations.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

All models will still get updates to their 'computers' when serviced by a dealer but obviously older models are less likely to need updates as:
    - The systems were simpler on older models.
    - All possible issues are likely to have been resolved already.

There are several different models spanning different years and different engine config's. May have got the years slightly wrong but...

GS/RS Mark 1 - 2008 to 2012. The original Spyder. 998cc v-twin engine. Likes rev's but as a result a bit thirsty on fuel. sitting position is more leaned forward with your feet back than any other model.
    RS Mark 2 - 2013 to 2016. Same appearance as Mark but changes to the frontend suspension, differently tuned engine etc. Torque etc moved lower in the rev range, more economical but slightly slower than the Mark 1.

ST - 2013 to 2016. Similar appearance to RS but sitting position more relaxed and bigger fairing etc. Same engine etc as the RS Mark 2.

RT Mark 1 - 2010 to 2013. Big tourer, again had the 998 v-twin engine but tuned more for touring etc. Big fairing, seat etc. Got the same engine upgrade as the RS in 2013. Early on there were some heat problems with the 2013 RT's which BRP sorted with recalls (new vents and some computer updates to change the tuning I believe)
    RT Mark 2 - 2014 to present. Big tourer, now with the 1330 3 cylinder engine.

F3 - 2015 to present. The cruiser model, feet forward sitting position. 1330 3 cylinder engine.

I've got a 2011 RS so obviously believe that is the best model of the lot:-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find yourself a 1330 triple!
    (Keep singing to yourself: "Three is for me!")
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    All models will still get updates to their 'computers' when serviced by a dealer but obviously older models are less likely to need updates as:
    - The systems were simpler on older models.
    - All possible issues are likely to have been resolved already.

There are several different models spanning different years and different engine config's. May have got the years slightly wrong but...

GS/RS Mark 1 - 2008 to 2012. The original Spyder. 998cc v-twin engine. Likes rev's but as a result a bit thirsty on fuel. sitting position is more leaned forward with your feet back than any other model.
    RS Mark 2 - 2013 to 2016. Same appearance as Mark but changes to the frontend suspension, differently tuned engine etc. Torque etc moved lower in the rev range, more economical but slightly slower than the Mark 1.

ST - 2013 to 2016. Similar appearance to RS but sitting position more relaxed and bigger fairing etc. Same engine etc as the RS Mark 2.

RT Mark 1 - 2010 to 2013. Big tourer, again had the 998 v-twin engine but tuned more for touring etc. Big fairing, seat etc. Got the same engine upgrade as the RS in 2013. Early on there were some heat problems with the 2013 RT's which BRP sorted with recalls (new vents and some computer updates to change the tuning I believe)
    RT Mark 2 - 2014 to present. Big tourer, now with the 1330 3 cylinder engine.

F3 - 2015 to present. The cruiser model, feet forward sitting position. 1330 3 cylinder engine.

I've got a 2011 RS so obviously believe that is the best model of the lot:-)
    . The above is very good information. There were slight upgrades such as a different dash in 2018 and such, but since you are looking for the most bang per buck, the above information is all that you will need. One key is to figure out what riding position suits you best. If I was looking to get into my first spyder, I would probably look at getting a RSS. They are great bikes and sound and look pretty good. The seating position is sort of between what you will find in a sport bike, and a sport touring bike. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Good Info on the differences. What I didn't see is that the 2014 on had changes to the suspension and braking and a 6 speed transmission as well.

If you are looking for best price touring, I would not really look at anything but the RT. If you are looking for a mix (touring and sport) I would look at the F3 models, and of course best sport the RS.

Just like on a two wheeler you can tour on a smaller bike but the comfort level isn't there. I have owned a 2011,2012,2014 and now a 2018 (all RT with semi- auto trans) and I had the most problems with the 2011 (mainly electrical and limp mode problems) I put about 13000 on that bike in the first year but it left me stranded a couple of times. I know there are lots of people who have that year model and have not had any problems. The 2012 was good with the caveat that the gas mileage was not good for a touring bike. I put 23000 miles on that in one year and it never left me stranded. It did have several things that needed to be fixed under warranty and maintenance costs are generally higher for the 998 model. The 2014 was an awesome machine that only had one glitch (DESS error) that was fixed under warranty by replacing the ignition. That bike had 39000 when I retired and bought my latest retirement present... the 2018 RTL.

When you look at cost the bike may cost less for the older ones just as cars do but you will also inherit problems and costs (gas and oil changes) that come with those models. Ex.. If I remember correctly the oil needed to be changed on the 998 three times in the same amount of miles as the 1330 (I am sure someone will correct this). The 998 early models seemed to have more problems with Limp mode for various issues. They also generated much more heat so things like vacuum hoses and the like had issues. Again... not for everyone but it was always discussed on this board. The very early models had issues with gas canisters.

Anyways... good luck and have a great ride.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Look for a used 2014 and up with the "1330 Triple" engine.

The "1330 Triples" are lower maintance, quiter engine, more fuel efficient, comfortable, smoother engine, higher torque, less fuel fill-ups, Eco mode smart assist( optimizes your shifting behavior, combined with the fuel efficiency of the Rotax 1330 Ace engine, reduces your fuel consumption), New 1200-W Alternator 85 % more power for your electronic accessories( the previous maximum of 650 W on older spyder models), 6 speed transmission( you can cruise comfortably at 3,300 RPM'S, it has a new hydraulic clutch activation system with pressure control. Pass through town without down shifting).

My first spyder was a 2012 RTSE5 then I up graded to my current spyder a 2014 RTS-SE6 with 24,000 miles( I have had only 1 problem it was the D.E.S.S. error which was fixed under warranty).
    Good luck!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

You have purchased many Spyders. I am going to buy a new one this time around and I'm horrible at haggling. Can you give me some advice or point me to some links that can help me. I've found the bike I want. It is on imotorsports. Do you know anything about those dealers?

Thanks for just reading this message.

Susan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Consider the source of the information. I bet he had something that would fit his recommendations.
    BWAHAHAHA that’s exactly what I thought when I read it. Especially the “computer upgrades”.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2009 GS with 34,000kms on it and it looks like new and rides great after owing and riding bikes for 50 years 20190318_114944.jpg20190318_114924.jpg
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lilluke View Post
    You have purchased many Spyders. I am going to buy a new one this time around and I'm horrible at haggling. Can you give me some advice or point me to some links that can help me. I've found the bike I want. It is on imotorsports. Do you know anything about those dealers?

Susan
    Hi Susan, people are generally very happy with imotorsports, I don’t know how much haggling they do.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Susan
    There is probably not a lot of haggle with IMoto. Most that buy there seem to be very happy with the pricing and the service during the sale. The SL boss has even purchased from there.

Search out how to buy a Spyder in the archives. I have posted three separate times about some of the do's and don'ts of the haggle, as well as some of the "tricks" you may encounter along the way. Everything does not work everywhere, but there is a good idea or two that most can use.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Susan
    that's where I got my 2017, I like them. I think of all the people that weighed in, most are positive about I motor sports.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)