Thread: Fuel light

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel light

Hello to all, question time I have a fellow Canadian rider that has a 2011 RTS and they say that there fuel light stays on all the time when it is full or half full. Anyone have any ideas why this is. There is no codes coming up.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Not much to go on....

You will get no codes for this. Are we talking analog dial gauge or digital bars on dash. In any case it would be the sending unit that needs to be checked. Has any work been done lately electrical lights where they may have tapped into the wiring..?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've got one of those randomly activating fuel lights too, altho right atm, it's apparently working correctly for a while?! I'm on the second tank full with the gauge reflecting the REAL contents of the tank & the light has not yet come on because the tank is not yet holding less than 1/4 of a tank full of gas rather than it reflecting some random level somewhere between full & empty that may or may not reflect the correct level of fuel remaining in the tank, with a fuel light that may or may not be on to show that I should seek to refil the tank within some arbitrary distance?!

There have been times when I've filled the gas tank on my Spyder close to overflowing so that the fuel gauge showed full and yet the fuel light came on again less than 15 miles down the road while the gauge still showed close to full!! And at other times the gauge might drop to empty and the low fuel warning light come on within the same distance; or the contents in the tank might be down to less than 1/8th of a tankful with the gauge showing that & yet the light has not yet come on, or vice versa?! Believe me, both the gauges (digital & analogue) & the low fuel warning light on my Spyder are usually either religiously correct (ie, they show whatever they damn well please & I pray like buggry that there's enough gas in there left to get me to the next fuel stop! ) or they work pretty well and seem fairly accurate for a while, but your guess is as good as mine as to how long they'll remain in either condition; so I know how frustrating a dodgy gas gauge & a randomly lit low fuel light can be!!

I think there must be something sticky or jamming in the fuel gauge sender/low fuel warning light sender somewhere, and every now & then it gets bumped free, so then it works, until the next time it sticks anyway..... I guess it could be fixed properly, but it's bloody hard to jiggle the gas tank far enough out to the right that you can actually get in there to see & maybe sort things so that it works properly or you can replace the whole sender unit/pump/pick-up unit - and I've yet to find a dealer that is sure they can fix it!! Got a couple that'll have a go (at my expense of course! ) but they won't guarantee that they'll sort it properly on the first go, and most think it'll take at least a couple of hours at expensive dealer rates to even try the first time!

All of which boils down to mean that I'm gonna put up with it as is until it stops working completely & the Spyder engine splutters to a stop with the gas gauge showing full & the low fuel light shining brightly!! Or maybe I'll get sick of it first?! I dunno, but it hasn't driven me to take to the dash with an axe..... not yet, anyway!

Besides, no other bike I've owned even had a fuel gauge &/or warning light, so just like always, I plan my refuelling stops off the trip meter.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2019 at 05:20 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My gauges and warning light have always worked just fine, but I still use the trip meter for every tank. I fill up every 200 miles +/- 10 or so, and always have about a gallon left.

If you learn your range on a tank, and use the trip meter, you'll never have to worry about the accuracy of the gauges.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Being a long time rider, I tend to go by the miles rode instead of the gauge. 200 miles when not pulling my camper. 160 when I am. I have learned that I usually have about a 1/2 gallon left when the warning light comes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    My gauges and warning light have always worked just fine, but I still use the trip meter for every tank. I fill up every 200 miles +/- 10 or so, and always have about a gallon left.

If you learn your range on a tank, and use the trip meter, you'll never have to worry about the accuracy of the gauges.
    Me too. That way I have two different methods of verification. That's the accountant in me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looked over the drawing. I don't think I missed anything. Could not find a separate level sensor or float for only the light. An analog signal from the fuel sender is sensed by the cluster, and so it appears that the cluster generates the light, all on its own, based on that. That IS weirdly interesting. Personally, I use the gauge combined with the trip meter method. Most of the time I'm not looking at the dash lights anyway, because they're rather hard to see...for me anyway. Changing out the sender or the cluster is not a small, inexpensive thing.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238