Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Juuuust missed hitting a Deer! Great brakes on these things!

Fourth jaunt, up to a raging 103 miles...going around the lake because it's a good road with little traffic. At 57mph downhill I saw the first deer and rolled off the throttle; the second one came up out of the ditch, had time to say #2 but no time to do it. Excellent brakes on these things. If it was more than 2" I'd be amazed...
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Live to Ride, Ride to Live!! Glad you saw them and were able to react!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Do those stick-on Deer Whistles actually work?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

No----- no they don't.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Absolutely not!

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    No----- no they don't.
    Better to invest your money in some cow magnets.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Glad you made it but do know from experience these machines have great brakes. Sold a ton of those deer whistles and know they still do but never known them to do much....defensive driving and always alert works best...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is the second deer that kills you! While you watch the first, the second runs out in front of you. Happened to me in Glacier National Park in July. Looking at the beautiful Buck crossing in front and past me at that point, and Boom another flashes in front of me. Missed it by an inch!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Coming from MN and WI, deer were always an issue when driving. They are also frequent here in Arkansas....but I have yet to encounter them on the road. Always try to be aware and expect the unexpected.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I grew up in Wisconsin, lots of deer. I was once told that more deer lived in Marathon County than people. I now live in NW Iowa and there are lots of them here also. They keep eating the Hostas planted right next to the house. Sometimes I roust one in our driveway. See them on a daily basis. Really have to stay alert, especially early and late in the day. I very seldom ride at night. When the corn is mature they can come out of the fields with very little chance of seeing them. Also once the harvest starts the combines keep them moving.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    They do a good job of lightening your wallet is all.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I hit one with my 2012 RT Limited in Nov. 2016 in N.W. Virginia. I was doing about 50 MPH on a country road, and never even saw the Deer to try and dodge it, until I ran over it. I broke both of its back legs, but I hung on and never flipped the Spyder. In fact, it happened so fast, I never even hit the brakes! My Insurance Adjuster granted me $1300 for the damage, which was mostly cracked Frunk and Tupperware. I never fell off the Spyder, but took the ditch. If I had been on my Harley, the out come surely would have been much worse, as I would have went down. I see several Deer every day I go out, so I have to stay alert. Deer hits are my biggest fear of riding, or driving my car. Its really sad to see so many dead Deer laying on the sides of the roads, left for Vultures to eat. They pick the bones clean, and just leave the head and hide. I made several phone calls to 911 trying to get help for the dying Deer I hit, but no one would come. I don’t know what happened to it, as I went back with my Truck 2 hours later, and it was gone.
    007James

Quote Originally Posted by SSBN617 View Post
    Fourth jaunt, up to a raging 103 miles...going around the lake because it's a good road with little traffic. At 57mph downhill I saw the first deer and rolled off the throttle; the second one came up out of the ditch, had time to say #2 but no time to do it. Excellent brakes on these things. If it was more than 2" I'd be amazed...
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Living in upper Wis. and 20mi from the nearest milk n bread I am familiar with the great stopping power of the brake's!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSBN617 View Post
    When you see one always be ready for the second, or third, or more, deer. Deer do not travel solitary.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Deer are evil and have a plan to eliminate all vehicles, even at the risk of their own lives! They have formed a loose network of like minded deer all over most of the US to accomplish this goal! Because of that, we as drivers of vehicles, regardless of the number or configuration of wheels, must be hyper vigilant whenever we are operating said vehicles. That is the only way we have a chance to be victorious in overcoming this nefarious plot by these evil creatures. DO NOT be fooled or lulled into being complacent because they project an aura of cuteness or beauty! It is part of their ploy!

Seriously, where we live they have record setting deer and LOTS of them. With the exception of bucks, they are most often travelling together in a group that may consist of two to thirty or more. They are difficult to see at night if you don't see their eyes reflected in your headlights. As said previously, they may emerge from a field or ditch in a slow walk, or at a full run. They may be scared of humans but they fail to equate vehicles with danger and often do not run away from them.

One thing that is imperative is to slow down especially at night. Don't overdrive your headlights (good advice at anytime) and always be on the lookout!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wildlife, and particularly deer, appearing out of seemingly nowhere, create one of motorcyclists greatest hazards when riding in rural areas, I think. The stability and braking capabilities of Spyders, combined with alert driving, do much to reduce the risk, but I still breathe easier when the field of vision isn't severely compromised by heavy growth at or near the side of the road.

Just one of the benefits of desert riding.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yes, but you do have javalina!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Here in WI, they are always in groups or 2 or more... except during the rut, when bucks are moving and looking for girlfriends (and won't tolerate other bucks). In summer, the bucks tend to herd up in bachelor groups together and the does/fawns keep to themselves. When breeding season starts, that ends. The bucks rub the velvet off their antlers in late summer in preparation for fall fights. They become loners. The harvest and breeding puts them all on the move and accidents here go way up. Still, I've never seen so many deer sleeping on the side of the road as in springtime, when the does are having babies and kick the youngsters away ... and the wandering teenage-type deer don't have a clue about anything. Be safe. Deer jumping can be the blink of an eye or less. That's why I gear up to give myself a chance for a better outcome... just in case.

Spyder Garage

Here in the mountains of N.E. Arizona our problem is elk. They are probably at least twice the size of a white tail. In town, they wander the streets and neighborhoods munching on grass and gardens. They seem to show little concern for people or vehicles. There are two major interstate highways leading into and out of our town. Early mornings and evenings are when we see a lot of them along the highways, sometimes even wandering on to them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Years ago I had them on my Goldwing. Heading out of Flagstaff in the early morning I spotted deer on the side of the road grazing. Thought to myself that this is a good test of my investment. Passed by them at highway speeds at about 50 yards. They didn't even look up or acknowledge my existence. I kept going and they continued on with their breakfast. A Lead Zeplin tune at decent volume from the fairing speakers probably does a better job..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Years ago I had them on my Goldwing. Heading out of Flagstaff in the early morning I spotted deer on the side of the road grazing. Thought to myself that this is a good test of my investment. Passed by them at highway speeds at about 50 yards. They didn't even look up or acknowledge my existence. I kept going and they continued on with their breakfast. A Lead Zeplin tune at decent volume from the fairing speakers probably does a better job..... Jim
    I don't believe that we have any real idea as to how their hearing works. I find it incredulous that an animal that responds instantaneously to a twig snap at 100 yards doesn't seem to notice a semi traveling at 105 feet per second. As far as those whistles, if they really had any effect it would be at a specific air velocity...and that would depend more on vehicle shape and mounting than on speed. Great idea for the 'inventor', though. Kinda like pet rocks. Love to see his research.
    2018 RT , Dark grey

Spyder Garage

Deer...Sore subject
    Two years ago, returning from a northern Michigan trip and traveling on I-75 @73mph with my BMW R1200RT on cruise control.
    2 deer suddenly exploded from the trees in the medium and onto the roadway. I hit the second one. The next thing I remember is sliding down the pavement
    to a rolling stop. For some unexplained reason , not injured thanks in part to ATGATT .The bike and deer...not so much.
    This all happened in an instant with no time to react because the cruise control never disengaged and the bike continued down the road for another 300 yards.

I guess if anything good came from this, at least it got me on a Spyder!
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

I personally have lost 3 acquaintances to deer. One was in a car. It came through the windshield.
    In Wisconsin, another bad time is in spring when the deer flies come alive. Deer will come running out of cover without warning.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    No----- no they don't.
    And NO-- they don't work.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 12tree View Post
    I personally have lost 3 acquaintances to deer. One was in a car. It came through the windshield.
    In Wisconsin, another bad time is in spring when the deer flies come alive. Deer will come running out of cover without warning.
    I had a buddy who was killed by a deer that came through his windshield. Only thing was, he didn't hit the deer. It bounced off a car that was coming the other direction, then he hit it while it was still airborne, coming through his windshield.

I was going home from work at the end of second shift and saw three cars on the side of the road. All I could tell was there had been a wreck and that some of the people standing there had cell phones so I didn't stop. Found out the next day it was my buddy.

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Glad you missed them. Here we have the usual whitetails and the dogs sized Sika. This time of the year the whitetails are coming out of every corn field every morning and evening. The Sika are more anti-social. I do not see them very often. However, just recently while riding through a local NWR, I smaller than usual Sika came to side of the road, I slowed, she jogged beside me for about a 1/4 mile. Quite a beautiful little deer. Their behavior is generally to go back into the woods unlike the whitetail that like to challenge motor vehicles.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White