Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand that 'stuff happens' but this sure makes me nervous. A most interesting thread.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trouble roaming the plastic rivet. A flat blade screw driver and a torx bit. Covers come right off. now the issue with your spyder is it the dealer can't fix it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Sorry ...it is not a fastener... it is a plastic rivet which you have to pry off (rivet on owner's manual)...and do not forget the twisted funnel to add coolant/water (have to carry a bottle of it too??).
    A rivet IS a fastener. Rivet simply describes it as a fastener type that inserts and expands to accomplish its job. This particular type is intended to be reusable. They are very simple to remove and replace once you know how. Pull the center pin up and the fastener comes out easily. These type fasteners are very common across the bike and automotive world among many manufactures. Again, sorry you are having bike troubles but it really sounds like you never checked the coolant. Its one of the vital fluids that should be checked before any out of town journey. Coolant caps dry out and the seals fail. Happens. At 5yrs old, not beyond reason. They are also often not replaced correctly and cause the problems you have seen. I suspect this is the more likely cause.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    A rivet IS a fastener. Rivet simply describes it as a fastener type that inserts and expands to accomplish its job. This particular type is intended to be reusable. They are very simple to remove and replace once you know how. Pull the center pin up and the fastener comes out easily. These type fasteners are very common across the bike and automotive world among many manufactures. Again, sorry you are having bike troubles but it really sounds like you never checked the coolant. Its one of the vital fluids that should be checked before any out of town journey. Coolant caps dry out and the seals fail. Happens. At 5yrs old, not beyond reason. They are also often not replaced correctly and cause the problems you have seen. I suspect this is the more likely cause.
    Good old Judeo-Christian guilt... never getting old!!! If this such a "vital" fluids, why is there not a simple screw, a Dzus or anything else better that this rivet "very simple to remove and replace once you know how" ? On all my LC bikes the coolant level is easy to see without having to take parts of the bike off. Sorry I will not take the blame for a poorly made concept... It just reminds me of something done by a Citroen engineer, on strike and drunk! This kind of Walmart' moral is so tiring!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good old Judeo-Christian guilt... never getting old!!! If this such a "vital" fluids, why is there not a simple screw, a Dzus or anything else better that this rivet "very simple to remove and replace once you know how" ? On all my LC bikes the coolant level is easy to see without having to take parts of the bike off. Sorry I will not take the blame for a poorly made concept... It just reminds me of something done by a Citroen engineer, on strike and drunk! This kind of Walmart' moral is so tiring!!!
    You had to learn how to use a screwdriver the first time, right? Just seems like you’re throwing out the baby with the bath water. You might ask your service tech to show you how to do some of the simple maintenance checks so you’re not stuck again.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck with what ever decisions you make.

Spyder Garage

BRP Engineers certainly could have installed the coolant bottle in the middle of the windshield. It would have been a lot easier to check and service. the oil reservoir should also be in that area. Would you prefer it on top, or below the coolant tank?
    ... now about brake lining; were should we ask them to put them? Windshield area, or handle bar? ��

There is a maintenance schedule to be followed, to keep you bike in good shape. also, there is a pre-ride inspection list in the user manual. It is a "machine" and it requires maintenance.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Every scooter I have owned required use of a screwdriver to get at the coolant to check the level.
    That, or a borescope, I guess.

That, and every car required that I lift a heavy body panel to do same. Which required me to find some cleverly-hidden lever somewhere in the driver bay (who thought of putting it there?), and THEN, ANOTHER lever under said heavy body panel.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Funny how after around 50 years of wrenching, rebuilding, racing and RIDING (no pics of my Spyder on a trailer here (only the, too, many times it broke down)), I have to come here to listen to personal insults from people who I must have ridiculed the manhood through their Spyder (thought it was reserved to big truck and Corvette?)… I know this personalization/insult in any discussion is part of the new “non PC” policy but it is very sad none the less. One could hope that on a forum of grown ups this kind of BS would not take place.
    BTW: I’d love to have the water tank and oil reservoir by the windshield but… are you sure the windshield arm would be able to stand this, it is not like it needs any incentive to break!!!
    As now in my garage, to check water level, the Vmax needs opening the fake gas tank with a key, Tenere is under 2 Dzus, Tbird Sport is readable from the front the tank...I cannot find in my memory such a difficult to reach water tank, even in the old GT750.
    Analogy with a car could be fun if not dumb!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Close the thread already! This is going nowhere

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Winter ending should make riders happy !!