Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Atlas Throttle Lock

Does anyone use the Atlas throttle lock on theirs? I see they have a top or bottom kit available for Can Am, so wondering which one works better.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vstrommer View Post
    Does anyone use the Atlas throttle lock on theirs? I see they have a top or bottom kit available for Can Am, so wondering which one works better.
    A simple o-ring between handlebar and twist grip works great! To keep throttle from springing back when you don't want it to.

I have some extras. I can send you one if you PM me your address. Just want to save you some money on something that won't work as well, and adds unnecessary complication to you bike.

I thought it would take 2 or even 3, but one works fine for the Ryker. My last bike required 2.

Spyder Garage

No, I don't use one but they look interesting. I like the idea of simply touching a button to engage or disengage the throttle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    No, I don't use one but they look interesting. I like the idea of simply touching a button to engage or disengage the throttle.
    With o-ring, it is even SIMPLER - just use the throttle normally.

IMG_20190505_111054 (1).jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Nice....

I am not fond of cruise control especially throttle locks. Do not like the idea of the possiblity that they can malfunction and one looses throttle control. In a car no problem but not on a bike of any kind. I have installed many through the years and know there are many out there. This one looks nice with nice features but I simply use the palm curise/cramp buster to realax the right hand. I never let go the right hand with the throttle open... jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi all well said Chupaca. Nico 75

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I am not fond of cruise control especially throttle locks. Do not like the idea of the possiblity that they can malfunction and one looses throttle control.
    If one malfunctions, it stops holding throttle, and you simply notice your are slowing down. Not a safety issue at all in that case.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not fond of cruise control especially throttle locks. Do not like the idea of the possiblity that they can malfunction and one looses throttle control. In a car no problem but not on a bike of any kind. I have installed many through the years and know there are many out there. This one looks nice with nice features but I simply use the palm curise/cramp buster to realax the right hand. I never let go the right hand with the throttle open... jmo
    Gotta go with Chupaca 100% on this one. A throttle lock is just courting disaster. Had a palm cruise/clamp on my Harley and it scared the crap out of me on more than one occasion. Even a palm clamp will take away at least 1% of the total control over your ride and that 1% was too much for me. Pulling into a parking lot once and I had to make a quick right turn to avoid a car backing out of a parking spot and goosed the palm clamp. Dam near hit a lady putting groceries in her car. They're just not worth the risk IMHO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    If one malfunctions, it stops holding throttle, and you simply notice your are slowing down. Not a safety issue at all in that case.
    Just so I'm clear on your method of the O-ring.... you place the O-ring only when you know you will be wanting to criuse long periods so it holds the throttle at the speed you wish. Or is it in place all the time so you have to always push the throttle to and from Idle...? You are right in you may never have a malfuction and as many systems of cruise I have installed I have not seen any problem other than they quit working (no issues) or the customer just did not care for it. I have had throttles jam for other reasons and that is not a great feeling but as a manual ryder I can pull in the clutch and shut down the engine a process that to a new ryder may be hazardous. Do wonder about the electronic ones when your throttle is fly by wire and not a push/pull cable operated throttle....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just so I'm clear on your method of the O-ring.... you place the O-ring only when you know you will be wanting to criuse long periods so it holds the throttle at the speed you wish. Or is it in place all the time so you have to always push the throttle to and from Idle...? You are right in you may never have a malfuction and as many systems of cruise I have installed I have not seen any problem other than they quit working (no issues) or the customer just did not care for it. I have had throttles jam for other reasons and that is not a great feeling but as a manual ryder I can pull in the clutch and shut down the engine a process that to a new ryder may be hazardous. Do wonder about the electronic ones when your throttle is fly by wire and not a push/pull cable operated throttle....
    Always in place (too difficult to remove & add back). It is second nature to ride with it, take no time at all to get used to. You twist top towards you for more throttle, or top away from you for less or no throttle.

It is probably naturally/human nature to twist throttle close when you want none anyways, so no difference at all noticed with o-ring. Takes about as much force to close throttle, as one is used to opening throttle (very little!).

Spyder Garage

from the safety standpoint.... having the throttle locked at all times its just a bad idea. I wouldn't want to have to roll the throttle fwd all the time I let off. But like the hotels.com commercial say.. "You do You and get rewarded" LOL. I will be installing the Atlas one and letting you know how it works.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the old days some of us called the throttle that needed to be turned back a “Dead Mans Throttle” cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    In the old days some of us called the throttle that needed to be turned back a “Dead Mans Throttle” cueman
    Hyperbole. As long as you know how it operates (and not suddenly surprised, like if your return spring malfunctioned) , it will operate just fine!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Hyperbole. As long as you know how it operates (and not suddenly surprised, like if your return spring malfunctioned) , it will operate just fine!
    You are now pushing the 0-ring in two different threads. Why can't you understand that different people have different needs and wants. Yet you have a hard on for these 0-rings and keep insisting everyone has to ride like you.

Please stop. You even resulted in name calling in the other thread.

Your need to always get in the last word on everything is getting tiresome.

Spyder Garage

'aufgeblasen' in Other Languages
    British English: pompous ADJECTIVE
    If you describe someone as pompous, you mean that they behave or speak in a very serious way because they think they are more important than they really are.
    He was somewhat pompous and had a high opinion of his own capabilities.
    This is why!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry your question didn't really get an answer here. This thread took such a hard left turn and went terribly south that I'm kind of embarrassed. I apologize.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Sorry your question didn't really get an answer here. This thread took such a hard left turn and went terribly south that I'm kind of embarrassed. I apologize.
    Yes I have the same question as vstrommer. It appears this one, acts more like a real cruise, you tap a button it kicks off. BRP supported?

Spyder Garage

1D218EBB-CC3A-4CAC-800A-BEA6C3039F2B.jpg

I installed mine today. Is official. I posted a video on the Ryker FB page.

Spyder Garage

Following......
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

The Atlas looks like a good system but over $100 is too rich for me. At that price I want electronic system so if tap brake or backoff throttle it automatically resets. But thats just me. I know high end bikes may come with such systems but I don’t know if aftermarket electronic cruise controls are affordable or available.

Spyder Garage

A reminder to keep comments civil. A couple of these posts are drifting into moderator intervention territory.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    'aufgeblasen' in Other Languages
    British English: pompous ADJECTIVE
    If you describe someone as pompous, you mean that they behave or speak in a very serious way because they think they are more important than they really are.
    He was somewhat pompous and had a high opinion of his own capabilities.
    This is why!
    INCORRECT! Aufgeblasen (different spelling) is GERMAN and means inflated (like a balloon) or outgassing (like flatulence). See Google pic search: https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...39.K3ghmIXmIXA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    The Atlas looks like a good system but over $100 is too rich for me. At that price I want electronic system so if tap brake or backoff throttle it automatically resets. But thats just me. I know high end bikes may come with such systems but I don’t know if aftermarket electronic cruise controls are affordable or available.
    I would have to agree with you on that. As much as I like the idea of a button to release, Its still an extra step that needs to be done in an emergency situation. What they have done though is pretty slick and I don't see it being too hard to take that concept and run a cable down to the brake lever for disengagement when braking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I would have to agree with you on that. As much as I like the idea of a button to release, Its still an extra step that needs to be done in an emergency situation. What they have done though is pretty slick and I don't see it being too hard to take that concept and run a cable down to the brake lever for disengagement when braking.
    You can still roll the throttle fwd, and if some people complain because of the price tag as it is, imagine if you add a brake cable and price jumps to say... $200? Nothing that hold the throttle mechanically is safe at all and I only use mine in open highways with light traffic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TNRyker View Post
    Nothing that hold the throttle mechanically is safe at all and I only use mine in open highways with light traffic.
    That's exactly right and that is just what it says on the warnings of any throttle lock. I use mine seldom for short periods just to give the right hand a break.