Spyder Garage

Default Stays in 1st gear

2011 RSS SE5.....Everything works fine except that it doesn't shift into neutral at shut down. This requires me to manually shift into neutral to start it, even if I have the brake pedal depressed. Any advise? Thanks.
    Last edited by Anjill; 05-05-2019 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Additional info added

Spyder Garage

I don't think they are meant to shift into neutral on shutdown!?! My 2013 RT Ltd (SE5) certainly doesn't do that by itself!! But it does shift into neutral when I try to start & I have my foot on the brake, just like my operators manual says it should!?!

If yours won't start even if you have your foot on the brake, then that's where your issue is - but I don't they ever were meant to shift into neutral on shutdown tho, so it's probably a good thing that yours doesn't!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It’s not supposed to shift into neutral at shutdown. So let’s review - the SE5 uses oil pressure to move the shifter linkage in order to shift gears. Thus the motor has to be running in order to shift gears. So, if it’s in gear when you shutdown, it stays in gear. Now then, when you want to restart, you place your foot firmly on the brake pedal and go through the normal start process. First the motor starts, and THEN, it shifts to neutral once it gets hydraulic oil pressure. Takes about a second or less after the motor starts. That signal that your foot is on the brake comes from the brake light switch. If your machine is not starting correctly, it’s a different problem than you thought. Do your brake lights come on?

Edit- Oh Hi Peter. Didn’t know you were there.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Bingo!! F7 was blown. All good now. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Glad it was a simple fix and thanks for letting us know. Hope it was just a one time thing but good your on the road again with things working as they should....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Is it possible to manually shift a SE5 from 1st into neutral with engine stopped?
    thanks

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johno27 View Post
    Is it possible to manually shift a SE5 from 1st into neutral with engine stopped?
    thanks
    Yes. If you need to shift the transmission, but can't or don't want to start the engine, the back of the shifter arm has flats on it that fit a 13mm wrench. Use the wrench to move the arm one direction or the other. See post #9 in this thread for pics.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...uck-in-Reverse

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238