Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S Garmin Zumo 590 wiring harness question

Hey guys!
    I've been searching through some confusing information on the sound system harness as it applies to connecting a Garmin Zumo 590 (non-BRP kit)... adapters, various cables, splicing, etc. What I found under the side panel at the radio head unit on this 2014 seems too simple to trust, so I thought I should ask the experts. It appears someone at BRP screwed up and actually supplied the 2 needed connectors ( a 3.5mm jack and a 2 pin waterproof connector) stemming from the main radio harness. I'm hoping these are: 1) audio IN jack for the GPS output, and 2) Power (+) and Ground (-) source for the GPS. If so, the harness that came with the 590 is easily usable with just the addition of a 2 pin connector! BTW the 2 pin connector wires on the Spyder are light green with yellow stripe (+)?, and light green with black stripe (-)?
    I would appreciate anyone who has experienced this setup on the 2014 RTS to confirm or enlighten me. Pics below...
    THANKS in advance!
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

You are correct, they are likely from the supplied Zumo cable. Here's a video you might want to watch:

I tried to upload the english version of the manual, but it's too big for Spyderlovers. Go to the garmin website and you can find the manual.

Good luck,
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick reply Rob!
    I have the manual and I have no questions how to hook the GPS up. Also, I have run the Garmin supplied harness back to the Spyder radio area. I just want to make sure those unused connectors BRP left back there are power, ground, and input for the GPS to run through the speakers.
    Thanks again for the help!!!
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where is the GPS harness? the 3.5 would plug into the female 3.5 and the power comes from the connector shown. You may have to order the pins to push into the connector if your GPS cable does not have them installed.

Take a volt meter and plug in the leads. It will tell you which one is Positive and negative . Ex - 12 then reverse the leads and it should be 12

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Where is the GPS harness? the 3.5 would plug into the female 3.5 and the power comes from the connector shown. You may have to order the pins to push into the connector if your GPS cable does not have them installed.

Take a volt meter and plug in the leads. It will tell you which one is Positive and negative . Ex - 12 then reverse the leads and it should be 12
    Hey trikermutha, thanks for posting! That's the point to this post... I don't have the large loose connector with a dust cover that people have to tap into with pins and adapter cables, etc. that I'm seeing in posts and videos on this subject. There is one large connector plugged into the head unit and these 2 connectors (in the pics) are factory spliced into it. They are attached to the frame and gas tank, and have dust covers on them, apparently ready to be uncovered and used. This is a pic of the Garmin harness I have. I was testing the polarity when you sent this message
    Thanks for the help!!!
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Ahhh good ole BRP, their wiring colors are such a crap-shoot! The green wire with the BLACK stripe is (+). If there's one thing I've learned about Spyders, it is to check every wire with a test light. On my previous RSS, the left and right turn signals were wired with the same color wires, but the polarities were opposite each other!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=trikermutha;1440020]
    You may have to order the pins to push into the connector if your GPS cable does not have them installed.

The Garmin power wires are bare, so I am going to install this (pic) to them and plug it into the BRP connector.I just have to "fix" the polarity, as the black wire on this connector lines up with the (+) wire on the Spyder connector. Color doesn't matter as long as I get the polarity right

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be careful running the GPS cable they get damaged very easy if you pull the wires too hard.

I would test it before you run the harness. I have gotten bad harnesses in the past or may have damaged them and had to remove and reinstall twice.

As for the power connector all you need are the pins and seals, the connector is already there. It may already have the pins and seals with it?? Take it off and you will know for sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Be careful running the GPS cable they get damaged very easy if you pull the wires too hard.

I would test it before you run the harness. I have gotten bad harnesses in the past or may have damaged them and had to remove and reinstall twice.

As for the power connector all you need are the pins and seals, the connector is already there. It may already have the pins and seals with it?? Take it off and you will know for sure.
    He does as it shows in his pictures.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue