Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Vredestein Quatrac 5

Just got shipment notice that my new rear tire in 205/60R15 size will be delivered next Tuesday

Ordered on March 27th from Vulcan Tire. It's a special order item, but will be worth the wait assuming it will handle like the fronts do!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm in the same boat, waiting on the rear. I ordered the V rated, figured the tolerances may be held closer so it may not need as much balancing weights. Not sure of this though.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I'm in the same boat, waiting on the rear. I ordered the V rated, figured the tolerances may be held closer so it may not need as much balancing weights. Not sure of this though.
    The speed rating should have no difference ........... the quality of the tire is what matters ..... Here's something interesting - the General Altimax RT 43 has a better rating in the lower " speed rating " than the higher ones ???? ... I have no explanation for that .... it just is ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm making simple ass-umptions here. V rate is good to 149 MPH continuous, while T rated is 118 MPH continuous. At very least the quality control has to be better. But I may pay the price in extra weight. The higher speed rating may mean more reinforcement, hence more weight. I'll weight the V rated and post the specs against the Kenda when I get it.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I'm making simple ass-umptions here. V rate is good to 149 MPH continuous, while T rated is 118 MPH continuous. At very least the quality control has to be better. But I may pay the price in extra weight. The higher speed rating may mean more reinforcement, hence more weight. I'll weight the V rated and post the specs against the Kenda when I get it.
    KENDA - that tire is a joke compared to even the lowest rated auto tire ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I concur wholeheartedly.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I just checked Valcan Tire's web site and they now show both the H and the V version in the 205/60R15 size in stock.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Excellent tire!
    Approaching 10K on em.
    On my front drive Toyota Sienna.
    Quiet, smooth, took hardly any weight.
    Road force indicates virtually no variance side to side.
    Gor me thru deep 8" snow with no problem
    Good luck with them on your Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Just got shipment notice that my new rear tire in 205/60R15 size will be delivered next Tuesday

Ordered on March 27th from Vulcan Tire. It's a special order item, but will be worth the wait assuming it will handle like the fronts do!
    Update,

I did get my tire and 2 additional ones that I did not order. Sent the suppler an email about this, but have not heard back.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Hope you didn't get mine, I have a 205/60R15 Vredestein coming in by the 14th. Took them over a month to process the order!
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A link to a Canadian supplier for the Vredestein tires was posted on this site, I went to it today, and just ordered my 2 front tires...I have not had confirmation as to when they will be shipped yet.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    A link to a Canadian supplier for the Vredestein tires was posted on this site, I went to it today, and just ordered my 2 front tires...I have not had confirmation as to when they will be shipped yet.
    Hey Big Bad it would be nice if you posted the Suppliers info ……. Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hey Big Bad it would be nice if you posted the Suppliers info ……. Mike
    Sorry Mike, my bad. Supplier is Quattrotires.com. They appear to be in the province of Quebec, probably Montreal.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

AKA 1004, don't know you situation, however, when the dealer told me he would only install the same size as on the Spyder, I would have gone to a dealer that would, and make sure he knew it!

Spyder Garage

Just got the new Quatrac 5's on the fronts ... and wow what a great tire, indeed. Blueknight Mike, thanks for the recommendation in this direction! Now... to wear them out!

Spyder Garage

Generally speaking, a higher speed rating means a stiffer sidewall.

Spyder Garage

Bosch, who designed & produce the VSS used on our Spyders & a fairly significant range of other vehicles once the working parameters are dialed in seem to be pretty sure that something as trivial changing the brand of tires you run won't upset the VSS at all! It isn't of any concern on any o ne of all those other vehicles either, is it?! Besides, the VSS is designed to handle all sorts of variables, including different tire pressures & therefore differing rolling diameters, traction, road surfaces, etc, so something like a better made tire is going to be absobloodylutely nothing to the VSS!! And then there's the millions of miles of 'free testing' that's been done by thousands of Spyder Ryders over the years, with not one reported concern with the traction/stability systems or the entire VSS reported (in fact, quite the opposite!) IMHO, it's nothing but manufacturer scare tactics & double-speak to make owners scared of using anything but their low quality high priced excuse for a tire!

And here in Aust, all vehicles that are approved for sale &/or 'grey import' must be able to run any 'design approved tire' that is within the approved +/- legal size range and that meets or exceeds the load & speed ratings & the construction type. So basically, any Pasenger construction type tire that will fit on your Spyder without modding the swing arms or front suspension under the OE tupperware is almost certainly a legal fitting! But it is up to you to decide if you want to run any tire other than the Kendas. I know what choice I've made!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Bosch, who designed & produce the VSS used on our Spyders & a fairly significant range of other vehicles once the working parameters are dialed in seem to be pretty sure that something as trivial changing the brand of tires you run won't upset the VSS at all! It isn't of any concern on any o ne of all those other vehicles either, is it?! Besides, the VSS is designed to handle all sorts of variables, including different tire pressures & therefore differing rolling diameters, traction, road surfaces, etc, so something like a better made tire is going to be absobloodylutely nothing to the VSS!! And then there's the millions of miles of 'free testing' that's been done by thousands of Spyder Ryders over the years, with not one reported concern with the traction/stability systems or the entire VSS reported (in fact, quite the opposite!) IMHO, it's nothing but manufacturer scare tactics & double-speak to make owners scared of using anything but their low quality high priced excuse for a tire!

And here in Aust, all vehicles that are approved for sale &/or 'grey import' must be able to run any 'design approved tire' that is within the approved +/- legal size range and that meets or exceeds the load & speed ratings & the construction type. So basically, any Pasenger construction type tire that will fit on your Spyder without modding the swing arms or front suspension under the OE tupperware is almost certainly a legal fitting! But it is up to you to decide if you want to run any tire other than the Kendas. I know what choice I've made!
    with Peter 200% .. since 09 I've personally put more than a dozen different types and sizes of Auto tires on my three Spyders …. none have caused an issue ….. Similar VSS systems are now on all cars and trks. made today - have you EVER heard of a tire causing a problem with those systems ??? … I haven't …… but as Peter said use what you want …… Mike

Spyder Garage

with Peter 200% .. since 09 I've personally put more than a dozen different types and sizes of Auto tires on my three Spyders …. none have caused an issue ….. Similar VSS systems are now on all cars and trks. made today - have you EVER heard of a tire causing a problem with those systems ??? … I haven't …… but as Peter said use what you want …… Mike
    If anecdotal evidence was needed then yes, i have read thousands of posts on varying sites [Goldwings and others] that what you're saying is right, enough to convince me to go that way. Now to find whats available in Oz. the OUDTRAC 5 does not seem to be available here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    If anecdotal evidence was needed then yes, i have read thousands of posts on varying sites [Goldwings and others] that what you're saying is right, enough to convince me to go that way. Now to find whats available in Oz. the OUDTRAC 5 does not seem to be available here.
    Tell me what's readily available to you in the Auto tire category and I'll see what's best in that bunch ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Tell me what's readily available to you in the Auto tire category and I'll see what's best in that bunch ….. Mike
    Thanks Mike, waiting on Peter or will do some research, finally though do changing from Kendas make that much of a difference, especially to handling/stability.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That.

In Australia, it's the law, so a dealer doesn't have to worry about getting their *sses sued off if they "put a car tire on a motorcycle". In the U.S. I can understand the reluctance of dealers to do it. We live in the "Land of Litigation" here. It's been absurd for quite a long time. Some lawyers here make a living by ONLY looking for ways to sue someone...particularly businesses with "deep pockets". A business here can be put OUT of business by someone looking to make a "legal buck". Heck, litigation laws in my country make ignorance and stupidity of the consumer a cash cow sometimes. Order a cup of coffee and spill it on yourself while driving your car? Then find a lawyer who will say you got burned and the SELLER of the coffee should have known better? What about the consumer being stupid? THEY didn't know coffee is hot and if you spill it on yourself it might burn you? So MAYBE they shouldn't have been trying to do the "One Hand Juggle" with a hot liquid while driving their vehicle?

Take your own wheel off and bring it with the car tires to a "put the tire on the wheel ONLY" place and they won't care (well...most of them). They can always claim, "We didn't know he was gonna put it on a motorcycle!". That's the only way they could probably avoid being sued if the car tire "caused an accident or injury" while on the motorcycle in my country.

There are some things dealers should not be expected to do because of the LACK of laws that would protect them if they DID do it. And in the U.S., MOUNTING a car tire on a motorcycle is one of them. It just leaves the dealer wide open to litigation later here. It's sad, but it's true.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    That.

In Australia, it's the law, so a dealer doesn't have to worry about getting their *sses sued off if they "put a car tire on a motorcycle". In the U.S. I can understand the reluctance of dealers to do it. We live in the "Land of Litigation" here. It's been absurd for quite a long time. Some lawyers here make a living by ONLY looking for ways to sue someone...particularly businesses with "deep pockets". A business here can be put OUT of business by someone looking to make a "legal buck". Heck, litigation laws in my country make ignorance and stupidity of the consumer a cash cow sometimes. Order a cup of coffee and spill it on yourself while driving your car? Then find a lawyer who will say you got burned and the SELLER of the coffee should have known better? What about the consumer being stupid? THEY didn't know coffee is hot and if you spill it on yourself it might burn you? So MAYBE they shouldn't have been trying to do the "One Hand Juggle" with a hot liquid while driving their vehicle?

Take your own wheel off and bring it with the car tires to a "put the tire on the wheel ONLY" place and they won't care (well...most of them). They can always claim, "We didn't know he was gonna put it on a motorcycle!". That's the only way they could probably avoid being sued if the car tire "caused an accident or injury" while on the motorcycle in my country.

There are some things dealers should not be expected to do because of the LACK of laws that would protect them if they DID do it. And in the U.S., MOUNTING a car tire on a motorcycle is one of them. It just leaves the dealer wide open to litigation later here. It's sad, but it's true.
    I'm guessing that you missed my Thread about this subject …. Harley Davidson .. SELLS their Trikes with Auto tires mounted as OEM tires … HD lists their Trikes as Motorcycles …… There is ZERO incentive for a dealer NOT to require the tires be Kenda's.... they make a hugh profit for doing this …… JMHO …. Mike

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

I'm guessing that you missed my Thread about this subject …. Harley Davidson .. SELLS their Trikes with Auto tires mounted as OEM tires … HD lists their Trikes as Motorcycles …… There is ZERO incentive for a dealer NOT to require the tires be Kenda's.... they make a hugh profit for doing this …… JMHO …. Mike
    That is true. But the key difference is HD "sells their trikes with auto tires mounted as OEM tires" to begin with. An attorney would have a hard time winning a lawsuit about an "aftermarket car tire" causing an accident or injury being the DEALER'S fault in the future if all they did was REPLACE an OEM-standard piece of equipment. HD made the "car tire" the "standard equipment of the product line" when it was originally bought by the customer. The lawyer would have to sue the TIRE MANUFACTURER instead of the DEALER or HD, and would have to prove the ENTIRE TIRE PRODUCT LINE was defective. That's not gonna happen. Plus, not many lawyers would WANT to sue an "American Icon" company like HD. They are the ONLY U.S. motorcycle manufacturer. And HD is struggling to even sell motorcycles nowadays. The media would have a field day with that. But sue a foreign manufacturer? Or their "dealer's representative"? Why not? The lawyers advertise, "You don't pay us unless we WIN!" is how most of these lawsuits work. If (when?) the lawyer wins the case, they keep one-third of the settlement as their "fee". It's a great way to make a living. And oh...if the lawyer isn't pretty sure they WILL win to begin with, they aren't even going to TRY to do the lawsuit to begin with. Sorry, but that's how it really works.

So a dealer replacing a motorcycle tire with a car tire is subject to getting screwed TWO ways if they do it. First, they could get sued by any attorney who thinks they could convince a jury it was the dealer's fault. And second, the motorcycle manufacture could always say, "We didn't condone that. In fact, we RECOMMENDED to our dealers NOT to do it. It's not OUR fault. Heck, we even state it might VOID THE WARRANTY if the owner did it."

Me? I'm gonna put car tires on my Spyder when the OEM's wear out. But it will be with the full knowledge that if I get in an accident after that, there won't be anyone I can reasonably try to blame for it "tire-wise". So if a dealer doesn't want to do it for me, I'm fine with that. If anyone else wants to do it for me, I'm willing to sign a "release of liability" for them in advance if they provide the service. Heck, in all honesty, I have a hard time believing anybody who agrees to MOUNT "car tires" on my motorcycle for me WOULDN'T want a "release of liability" form from me before they would do it. There's probably a lawyer out there somewhere who would chomp at the bit to sue the "installer" AND ME if I caused the accident. "Your Honor, and members of this distinguished jury (?), Rick knowingly put car tires on his motorcycle fully knowing the manufacturer recommended against doing that. When he lost control of the vehicle with THOSE tires and ran over Fluffy, the Plaintiff's loving family member poodle, he caused immense pain and suffering for the entire family. Make him pay! Make Him Pay!!!"
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    That is true. But the key difference is HD "sells their trikes with auto tires mounted as OEM tires" to begin with. An attorney would have a hard time winning a lawsuit about an "aftermarket car tire" causing an accident or injury being the DEALER'S fault in the future if all they did was REPLACE an OEM-standard piece of equipment. HD made the "car tire" the "standard equipment of the product line" when it was originally bought by the customer. The lawyer would have to sue the TIRE MANUFACTURER instead of the DEALER or HD, and would have to prove the ENTIRE TIRE PRODUCT LINE was defective. That's not gonna happen. Plus, not many lawyers would WANT to sue an "American Icon" company like HD. They are the ONLY U.S. motorcycle manufacturer. And HD is struggling to even sell motorcycles nowadays. The media would have a field day with that. But sue a foreign manufacturer? Or their "dealer's representative"? Why not? The lawyers advertise, "You don't pay us unless we WIN!" is how most of these lawsuits work. If (when?) the lawyer wins the case, they keep one-third of the settlement as their "fee". It's a great way to make a living. And oh...if the lawyer isn't pretty sure they WILL win to begin with, they aren't even going to TRY to do the lawsuit to begin with. Sorry, but that's how it really works.

So a dealer replacing a motorcycle tire with a car tire is subject to getting screwed TWO ways if they do it. First, they could get sued by any attorney who thinks they could convince a jury it was the dealer's fault. And second, the motorcycle manufacture could always say, "We didn't condone that. In fact, we RECOMMENDED to our dealers NOT to do it. It's not OUR fault. Heck, we even state it might VOID THE WARRANTY if the owner did it."

Me? I'm gonna put car tires on my Spyder when the OEM's wear out. But it will be with the full knowledge that if I get in an accident after that, there won't be anyone I can reasonably try to blame for it "tire-wise". So if a dealer doesn't want to do it for me, I'm fine with that. If anyone else wants to do it for me, I'm willing to sign a "release of liability" for them in advance if they provide the service.
    It would be in your best interests to familiarize your self with the " Moss-Magnusson Act " …. and I am quite familiar with what goes on in Court with attorney's etc. ……. I was a certified accident investigator for many years and testified in court about tires more times than I can count …. … Are you aware that the wheels on your Spyder " MOTORCYLE ", are actually stamped " J " type rims ….. which are AUTOMBILE rims ( not motorcycle rims - which are quite different )….. go figure ….. Mike