Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 94
  1. #26
    Active Member h0gr1der's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    232
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Mike,

    Pulling on your knowledge here. How about widely divergent UTQG ratings? The Vredesteins I've got are all UTQG 400 rated, which usually means 2 rears for every front replacement. How about the safety of a UTQG 700+ (hard compound) tire mixed with the softer fronts? Maybe get to swap all at once?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Roadster Renovations Vibration Damper*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

  2. #27
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,468
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mike,

    Pulling on your knowledge here. How about widely divergent UTQG ratings? The Vredesteins I've got are all UTQG 400 rated, which usually means 2 rears for every front replacement. How about the safety of a UTQG 700+ (hard compound) tire mixed with the softer fronts? Maybe get to swap all at once?
    UTQG - doesn't matter - it doesn't have meaning in relation to the Rule " same tires on same axel ", The real life meaning for the UTQG rating varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, because THEY decide what Rating they are going to PUT on their tires …… Awhile back I Tried the Toyo Proxes T1r …. that was a damn STICKY tire , it had a low UTQG , however I did get good mileage from them ( they were front tires for my 2014 RT ……..I wouldn't have any real concerns about the timing on the switch …. Mike

  3. #28
    Very Active Member pegasus1300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Spring City,Utah
    Posts
    2,933
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I was thinking about attending spyder Jam in Cuba but cowtown will not install ANY car tires in front.
    May be I should expand my search area to Dallas...
    I replaced my Kendas with car tires asap the Kendas wore out. I didn't even bother with a Spyder dealer. My local car tire vender was happy to do the fronts, remove wheels , mount tires and balance. This is in a very small town in rural Utah. Buy what you want then ask a local tire shop or independent motorcycle shop to change your tire. You can remove the rear wheel yourself if you have to, not that hard.

    Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

    2012 RT L
    AMA
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    Venture Riders
    TOI

  4. #29
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    los angeles, ca
    Posts
    1,883
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Well, if I was home may be not a monumental challenge to do it myself although I just don’t wanna do it(done it once) but I’m currently in middle of nowhere Texas working, without much tools.
    BUT it looks like I will have somehow do it as I can’t even find a suitable oem size tires(dealer would only install exact oem size).
    Kumho in the rear is pretty much only choice now but I didn’t like the wet traction of it.
    I shall go with quatratec all around with 165/60 and 205/50.
    6 states down 42 states to go

  5. #30
    Active Member WisconsinDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Beaver Dam WI
    Posts
    119
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Just got the new Quatrac 5's on the fronts ... and wow what a great tire, indeed. Blueknight Mike, thanks for the recommendation in this direction! Now... to wear them out!

  6. #31
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Greer, SC
    Posts
    37
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Generally speaking, a higher speed rating means a stiffer sidewall.

  7. #32
    Active Member teninospyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    tenino, wa
    Posts
    229
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Yes to the Vredestein tires BLUEKNIGHT and others have, and are, applauding

    Hi Blueknight911, I told you I would post about my experience with these tires (all around) as soon as I had a few miles on them. I am now approaching my first 1,000 miles on them and in a week we are leaving on an "out of town" 1,000 mile trip in WA state and Idaho.

    As you know, I was one of a few owners who actually had very few issues with the original front tires. 26,000 miles and still close to a third of the tread left when I decided to "make the move" to your recommended tires. The back had been replaced once (as it turned out Long before it needed to be, because I was planning our very first "long" trip on the Spyder), and the rear I just replaced had 15,000 on it with a "fair" amount of tread left. My only personal concern was I did notice a slight vibration in the fronts, but it wasn't enough to make me get them balanced. I'm just stating MY experience here, not making any judgement about others experiences or beliefs.

    OK....Now to my experience since swapping to the Quatrac5 tire...ÖÖÖÖ...I (WE) have been extremely surprised and impressed with the difference in ride smoothness and steering response. I DO push the "posted limits" once in a while and I have noticed for one thing on these tires I have immediate positive response in changes to speed and direction while the ride continues to "feel" softer and more consistent throughout these changes. (I'm not Emerson F. or Lewis H so don't take my seat of the pants reference TOO seriously please ) I also have not seen or noted ANY vibration in the fronts, and even the installer was impressed with how little he need to balance and stated it may even have been the rims needing it not the tires.

    Ok, I've said enough Thanks again (as always) Mike for continuing to bring up these tires.

    PS: 15 in the front, 17 in the rear 175/55/R15 frts, 206/60/r15 back (PS I was the guy who bought their last one a while back and they had to show out of stock for a few days )
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

  8. #33
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,468
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Hi Blueknight911, I told you I would post about my experience with these tires (all around) as soon as I had a few miles on them. I am now approaching my first 1,000 miles on them and in a week we are leaving on an "out of town" 1,000 mile trip in WA state and Idaho.

    As you know, I was one of a few owners who actually had very few issues with the original front tires. 26,000 miles and still close to a third of the tread left when I decided to "make the move" to your recommended tires. The back had been replaced once (as it turned out Long before it needed to be, because I was planning our very first "long" trip on the Spyder), and the rear I just replaced had 15,000 on it with a "fair" amount of tread left. My only personal concern was I did notice a slight vibration in the fronts, but it wasn't enough to make me get them balanced. I'm just stating MY experience here, not making any judgement about others experiences or beliefs.

    OK....Now to my experience since swapping to the Quatrac5 tire...…………...I (WE) have been extremely surprised and impressed with the difference in ride smoothness and steering response. I DO push the "posted limits" once in a while and I have noticed for one thing on these tires I have immediate positive response in changes to speed and direction while the ride continues to "feel" softer and more consistent throughout these changes. (I'm not Emerson F. or Lewis H so don't take my seat of the pants reference TOO seriously please ) I also have not seen or noted ANY vibration in the fronts, and even the installer was impressed with how little he need to balance and stated it may even have been the rims needing it not the tires.

    Ok, I've said enough Thanks again (as always) Mike for continuing to bring up these tires.

    PS: 15 in the front, 17 in the rear 175/55/R15 frts, 206/60/r15 back (PS I was the guy who bought their last one a while back and they had to show out of stock for a few days )
    ………… I love it when I can help someone to be happy ….. your narrative was Spot -on ….. I'm glad you have tried the lower psi's I recommended …. and even more glad you are happy with them ……. Years ago I introduced this community to the General Altimax RT 43 " T " rated ….. it took awhile but, when more and more folks tried them, and liked them, they became very popular ( and still are ) ….. However tire technology doesn't remain Static, and the Altimax is no longer " the best " ( great tho ) …. the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is now the best …...imho ….. Mike

  9. #34
    Active Member h0gr1der's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    232
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Just finished up installing my rear Vredestein 205/60R15 91V tire. I'm whipped out, too old for this manual tire breaking stuff. Happy I got the Cycle Hill tire changer, it works reasonably well with a couple of caveats. Got the tire back on, alignment and belt tension set. Ready to continue tire testing tomorrow. For some reason Vulcan tire takes a month to ship, even though they say they're in stock. Wish there was a different source for the rear.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Roadster Renovations Vibration Damper*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

  10. #35
    Member Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Saratoga Springs,NY
    Posts
    11
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Ok Mike I ordered them and seemed like I just closed my tablet and I herd a thump on the back porch.
    Then pressto chango they were on my Spyder @ 16 psi cold I just had to go for a ride.
    Conditions were not conducive for a long ride, cool and very windy so I stayed local and the back windy roads.
    I should also mention I have the BaJaRon sway bar and shock spring adjusters installed. Shock spring tension set @ 1 turn up from bottom.


    Wait for it.

    Wait for it

    yup Iím a happy camper!

    Like I said it was a short ride but I could tell the difference, I had to overcome the old habits but that didnít take long.
    I will go up one more turn on the shock spring because Iíll be doing 2 up riding.
    More to follow.

    Bill

  11. #36
    Active Member teninospyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    tenino, wa
    Posts
    229
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Blueknight911, just a short update on my Quatrac5 tire experience. Today we travelled from Yakima, Wa. to a town called Dayton, Wa. on the way to Lewiston, ID tomorrow. Didn't expect a lot of excitement but today it was a first for us - 150 mostly aggravating, lonely, deserted, farmland "hills and dales" plains miles of heavy rain and high crosswinds. Normal good paved roads, but with no place to hide or get out of the weather until we were at Dayton, it wasn't fun. Even with varying speed limits it is a 3 hour drive. The one thing I didn't have to worry about though, was our new Quatrac5 tires. I have NEVER felt as comfortable about tire traction and continuous response when wanted or needed as I did today. No indication ever of any hydroplaning, or other loss of traction. This was the ONLY, but well appreciated, highlight of this leg of our trip. As before, THANKS AGAIN Mike for providing info on these tires.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

  12. #37
    Very Active Member PW2013STL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ST Bonifacius, MN
    Posts
    2,943
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Blueknight911, just a short update on my Quatrac5 tire experience. Today we travelled from Yakima, Wa. to a town called Dayton, Wa. on the way to Lewiston, ID tomorrow. Didn't expect a lot of excitement but today it was a first for us - 150 mostly aggravating, lonely, deserted, farmland "hills and dales" plains miles of heavy rain and high crosswinds. Normal good paved roads, but with no place to hide or get out of the weather until we were at Dayton, it wasn't fun. Even with varying speed limits it is a 3 hour drive. The one thing I didn't have to worry about though, was our new Quatrac5 tires. I have NEVER felt as comfortable about tire traction and continuous response when wanted or needed as I did today. No indication ever of any hydroplaning, or other loss of traction. This was the ONLY, but well appreciated, highlight of this leg of our trip. As before, THANKS AGAIN Mike for providing info on these tires.
    That was my experience last week in the rain and wind as well. Kept expecting some wiggle, or hydoplaning as experienced with other tires. It was as if the roads were dry.
    2015 F3S, 2018 F3L

    Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?

  13. #38
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,468
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Blueknight911, just a short update on my Quatrac5 tire experience. Today we travelled from Yakima, Wa. to a town called Dayton, Wa. on the way to Lewiston, ID tomorrow. Didn't expect a lot of excitement but today it was a first for us - 150 mostly aggravating, lonely, deserted, farmland "hills and dales" plains miles of heavy rain and high crosswinds. Normal good paved roads, but with no place to hide or get out of the weather until we were at Dayton, it wasn't fun. Even with varying speed limits it is a 3 hour drive. The one thing I didn't have to worry about though, was our new Quatrac5 tires. I have NEVER felt as comfortable about tire traction and continuous response when wanted or needed as I did today. No indication ever of any hydroplaning, or other loss of traction. This was the ONLY, but well appreciated, highlight of this leg of our trip. As before, THANKS AGAIN Mike for providing info on these tires.
    As usual Thanks for your update on your experiences with the new Quatrac 5 tire..... From what I learned about this tire prior to recommending it, I am very glad to hear that it is performing as I was sure it would …… Actual rider feedback is something that makes others feel confidant, in using a product.....especially one that has the Safety implications that a tire has …….. Reports on handling in really bad weather are priceless ….. Thanks again. …. Mike

  14. #39
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,468
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    That was my experience last week in the rain and wind as well. Kept expecting some wiggle, or hydoplaning as experienced with other tires. It was as if the roads were dry.
    ….Wow love the positive feedback …. It is a shame this tire is one the most difficult to acquire..... due to lack of sellers ….. Thanks again for your report ( and I did see the other one from a few days ago ……. Mike

  15. #40
    Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC. Canada
    Posts
    183
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ….Wow love the positive feedback …. It is a shame this tire is one the most difficult to acquire..... due to lack of sellers ….. Thanks again for your report ( and I did see the other one from a few days ago ……. Mike
    I heartily agree with the hard to get aspect of these tires Mike. I ordered mine on May 9, got acknowledgement of my order approximately a week ago, and was told that I would receive notification from the dealer when they would be shipped. I’m still waiting for the shipping date. Thank the good lord that I don’t NEED new tires. tic...tic...tic...tic...tic...tic...tic...tic

    2014 Spyder RTS-SE6 Cognac
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Sena 10S Helmet Intercom
    Garmin Nuvi GPS
    Sirius Satelite Radio
    Bruce Erickson

    Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

    JMHO WTFDIK

  16. #41
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,468
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I heartily agree with the hard to get aspect of these tires Mike. I ordered mine on May 9, got acknowledgement of my order approximately a week ago, and was told that I would receive notification from the dealer when they would be shipped. I’m still waiting for the shipping date. Thank the good lord that I don’t NEED new tires. tic...tic...tic...tic...tic...tic...tic...tic
    From whom did you get yours ….. Mike

  17. #42
    Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC. Canada
    Posts
    183
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    From whom did you get yours ….. Mike
    As mentioned earlier on this thread, Quattrotires.com....they’re out of Quebec.

    2014 Spyder RTS-SE6 Cognac
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Sena 10S Helmet Intercom
    Garmin Nuvi GPS
    Sirius Satelite Radio
    Bruce Erickson

    Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

    JMHO WTFDIK

  18. #43
    Active Member Airborne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Tasmania, Ausralia
    Posts
    88
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Hi all,

    Please don't shoot the messenger but according to mu owners manual if i don't use oem replacement tires it may interfere with the Traction/stability systems. ETC

    I am happy to convert at some stage but that info leaves a little shadow of doubt, plus dealer tells me not a good idea and there is no car like alternative here in Australia [over to you Peter]

    Please feel free to set me straight. I think i'm already convinced, especially after reading these sort of posts. just need a push.

  19. #44
    Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Peter Aawen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Australia; Sth Aust, Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    2,909
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Bosch, who designed & produce the VSS used on our Spyders & a fairly significant range of other vehicles once the working parameters are dialed in seem to be pretty sure that something as trivial changing the brand of tires you run won't upset the VSS at all! It isn't of any concern on any o ne of all those other vehicles either, is it?! Besides, the VSS is designed to handle all sorts of variables, including different tire pressures & therefore differing rolling diameters, traction, road surfaces, etc, so something like a better made tire is going to be absobloodylutely nothing to the VSS!! And then there's the millions of miles of 'free testing' that's been done by thousands of Spyder Ryders over the years, with not one reported concern with the traction/stability systems or the entire VSS reported (in fact, quite the opposite!) IMHO, it's nothing but manufacturer scare tactics & double-speak to make owners scared of using anything but their low quality high priced excuse for a tire!

    And here in Aust, all vehicles that are approved for sale &/or 'grey import' must be able to run any 'design approved tire' that is within the approved +/- legal size range and that meets or exceeds the load & speed ratings & the construction type. So basically, any Pasenger construction type tire that will fit on your Spyder without modding the swing arms or front suspension under the OE tupperware is almost certainly a legal fitting! But it is up to you to decide if you want to run any tire other than the Kendas. I know what choice I've made!
    2013 RT Ltd

  20. #45
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,468
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Bosch, who designed & produce the VSS used on our Spyders & a fairly significant range of other vehicles once the working parameters are dialed in seem to be pretty sure that something as trivial changing the brand of tires you run won't upset the VSS at all! It isn't of any concern on any o ne of all those other vehicles either, is it?! Besides, the VSS is designed to handle all sorts of variables, including different tire pressures & therefore differing rolling diameters, traction, road surfaces, etc, so something like a better made tire is going to be absobloodylutely nothing to the VSS!! And then there's the millions of miles of 'free testing' that's been done by thousands of Spyder Ryders over the years, with not one reported concern with the traction/stability systems or the entire VSS reported (in fact, quite the opposite!) IMHO, it's nothing but manufacturer scare tactics & double-speak to make owners scared of using anything but their low quality high priced excuse for a tire!

    And here in Aust, all vehicles that are approved for sale &/or 'grey import' must be able to run any 'design approved tire' that is within the approved +/- legal size range and that meets or exceeds the load & speed ratings & the construction type. So basically, any Pasenger construction type tire that will fit on your Spyder without modding the swing arms or front suspension under the OE tupperware is almost certainly a legal fitting! But it is up to you to decide if you want to run any tire other than the Kendas. I know what choice I've made!
    with Peter 200% .. since 09 I've personally put more than a dozen different types and sizes of Auto tires on my three Spyders …. none have caused an issue ….. Similar VSS systems are now on all cars and trks. made today - have you EVER heard of a tire causing a problem with those systems ??? … I haven't …… but as Peter said use what you want …… Mike

  21. #46
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Oakley, Utah & Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    5,144
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ….Wow love the positive feedback …. It is a shame this tire is one the most difficult to acquire..... due to lack of sellers ….. Thanks again for your report ( and I did see the other one from a few days ago ……. Mike
    I got mine delivered in 2 days from when I ordered them online on a Sunday from TireRack.com

    2014 RTL Platinum & 2014 RTL Cognac
    Northern Utah in summer; Yuma, AZ in winter.

  22. #47
    Active Member FalconAF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Posts
    129
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And here in Aust, all vehicles that are approved for sale &/or 'grey import' must be able to run any 'design approved tire' that is within the approved +/- legal size range and that meets or exceeds the load & speed ratings & the construction type. So basically, any Pasenger construction type tire that will fit on your Spyder without modding the swing arms or front suspension under the OE tupperware is almost certainly a legal fitting! But it is up to you to decide if you want to run any tire other than the Kendas. I know what choice I've made!
    That.

    In Australia, it's the law, so a dealer doesn't have to worry about getting their *sses sued off if they "put a car tire on a motorcycle". In the U.S. I can understand the reluctance of dealers to do it. We live in the "Land of Litigation" here. It's been absurd for quite a long time. Some lawyers here make a living by ONLY looking for ways to sue someone...particularly businesses with "deep pockets". A business here can be put OUT of business by someone looking to make a "legal buck". Heck, litigation laws in my country make ignorance and stupidity of the consumer a cash cow sometimes. Order a cup of coffee and spill it on yourself while driving your car? Then find a lawyer who will say you got burned and the SELLER of the coffee should have known better? What about the consumer being stupid? THEY didn't know coffee is hot and if you spill it on yourself it might burn you? So MAYBE they shouldn't have been trying to do the "One Hand Juggle" with a hot liquid while driving their vehicle?

    Take your own wheel off and bring it with the car tires to a "put the tire on the wheel ONLY" place and they won't care (well...most of them). They can always claim, "We didn't know he was gonna put it on a motorcycle!". That's the only way they could probably avoid being sued if the car tire "caused an accident or injury" while on the motorcycle in my country.

    There are some things dealers should not be expected to do because of the LACK of laws that would protect them if they DID do it. And in the U.S., MOUNTING a car tire on a motorcycle is one of them. It just leaves the dealer wide open to litigation later here. It's sad, but it's true.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

  23. #48
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,468
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    That.

    In Australia, it's the law, so a dealer doesn't have to worry about getting their *sses sued off if they "put a car tire on a motorcycle". In the U.S. I can understand the reluctance of dealers to do it. We live in the "Land of Litigation" here. It's been absurd for quite a long time. Some lawyers here make a living by ONLY looking for ways to sue someone...particularly businesses with "deep pockets". A business here can be put OUT of business by someone looking to make a "legal buck". Heck, litigation laws in my country make ignorance and stupidity of the consumer a cash cow sometimes. Order a cup of coffee and spill it on yourself while driving your car? Then find a lawyer who will say you got burned and the SELLER of the coffee should have known better? What about the consumer being stupid? THEY didn't know coffee is hot and if you spill it on yourself it might burn you? So MAYBE they shouldn't have been trying to do the "One Hand Juggle" with a hot liquid while driving their vehicle?

    Take your own wheel off and bring it with the car tires to a "put the tire on the wheel ONLY" place and they won't care (well...most of them). They can always claim, "We didn't know he was gonna put it on a motorcycle!". That's the only way they could probably avoid being sued if the car tire "caused an accident or injury" while on the motorcycle in my country.

    There are some things dealers should not be expected to do because of the LACK of laws that would protect them if they DID do it. And in the U.S., MOUNTING a car tire on a motorcycle is one of them. It just leaves the dealer wide open to litigation later here. It's sad, but it's true.
    I'm guessing that you missed my Thread about this subject …. Harley Davidson .. SELLS their Trikes with Auto tires mounted as OEM tires … HD lists their Trikes as Motorcycles …… There is ZERO incentive for a dealer NOT to require the tires be Kenda's.... they make a hugh profit for doing this …… JMHO …. Mike

  24. #49
    Active Member Airborne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Tasmania, Ausralia
    Posts
    88
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Bosch, who designed & produce the VSS used on our Spyders & a fairly significant range of other vehicles once the working parameters are dialed in seem to be pretty sure that something as trivial changing the brand of tires you run won't upset the VSS at all! It isn't of any concern on any o ne of all those other vehicles either, is it?! Besides, the VSS is designed to handle all sorts of variables, including different tire pressures & therefore differing rolling diameters, traction, road surfaces, etc, so something like a better made tire is going to be absobloodylutely nothing to the VSS!! And then there's the millions of miles of 'free testing' that's been done by thousands of Spyder Ryders over the years, with not one reported concern with the traction/stability systems or the entire VSS reported (in fact, quite the opposite!) IMHO, it's nothing but manufacturer scare tactics & double-speak to make owners scared of using anything but their low quality high priced excuse for a tire!

    And here in Aust, all vehicles that are approved for sale &/or 'grey import' must be able to run any 'design approved tire' that is within the approved +/- legal size range and that meets or exceeds the load & speed ratings & the construction type. So basically, any Pasenger construction type tire that will fit on your Spyder without modding the swing arms or front suspension under the OE tupperware is almost certainly a legal fitting! But it is up to you to decide if you want to run any tire other than the Kendas. I know what choice I've made!
    Thanks Peter, makes perfect sense to me but what's available to us here in Oz, Coincidentally i notice Kendas are quite expensive at dealers.

  25. #50
    Active Member Airborne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Tasmania, Ausralia
    Posts
    88
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with Peter 200% .. since 09 I've personally put more than a dozen different types and sizes of Auto tires on my three Spyders …. none have caused an issue ….. Similar VSS systems are now on all cars and trks. made today - have you EVER heard of a tire causing a problem with those systems ??? … I haven't …… but as Peter said use what you want …… Mike
    If anecdotal evidence was needed then yes, i have read thousands of posts on varying sites [Goldwings and others] that what you're saying is right, enough to convince me to go that way. Now to find whats available in Oz. the OUDTRAC 5 does not seem to be available here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •