Spyder Garage

Default 2014 1330 SE6 thermostat

Decided to take the Spyder for a short ride today since it hasn't been ridden for 2 weeks. Started up and let idle while I moved a couple of other vehicles out of the way. After just a few minutes in the driveway the cooling fans came on. Odd. It always takes much longer to warm up. Got on the bike and noticed the analog temperature gauge was higher than it has ever been. I pulled out of the driveway and went about 1/2 block and the temperature quickly climbed. Came back home and parked it. Checked the coolant and it was full but was also not hot in the expansion tank. Never any coolant leaks detected and there was no overheating issue when previously ridden. Could only be a stuck thermostat (IMHO). Looked at the parts list for a thermostat and could not find it. Is the thermostat part of the water pump assembly? If so, can just the thermostat be replaced within the assembly or does the entire pump need replacing? I still have a month warranty left. (WHEW) But the reason I ask is, if I can just order an inexpensive thermostat now and have it on hand when the dealer can work on my bike then I wouldn't need to wait for parts. As it is now the dealer service is booked out 3 weeks and parts could take???????? to get here..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The shop manual says you have to replace the water pump module.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    The shop manual says you have to replace the water pump module.
    Thanks. I was afraid of that. Three weeks just to get into the shop, then probably other 2-3 weeks for repair. Dealer will not pre-order parts and doesn't stock anything. I'm going to be out of commission for well more than a month. This is the most frustrating aspect of Spyder ownership..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    ........ I'm going to be out of commission for well more than a month. This is the most frustrating aspect of Spyder ownership..... Jim
    Reminds me of something that used to be said about owning an old Jaguar here in Aus, & it held pretty much true for many years! "If you want to own a Jag, you need to buy THREE - one to drive; one for spares; and the third to drive during the months that can pass while you are fixing the first with parts from the second cos you're waiting for spares from the dealer!"

Maybe we all need to buy a couple more Spyders?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Reminds me of something that used to be said about owning an old Jaguar here in Aus, & it held pretty much true for many years! "If you want to own a Jag, you need to buy THREE - one to drive; one for spares; and the third to drive during the months that can pass while you are fixing the first with parts from the second cos you're waiting for spares from the dealer!"

Maybe we all need to buy a couple more Spyders?
    Reminds me of when I was a lot younger. There was an older guy I worked for that I admired. He had an Austin Healy 3000 that I liked a lot but couldn't afford. I got an MGA. Wire wheels and all. His comment to me, and I will never forget, was, " welcome to the headache and heartbreak club". He was a wise man and eventually became very wealthy. I never learned..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

But if you know you need the part and they will not pre-order it , I would order it from cheapcycleparts.com myself. They are OEM parts and cheaper than Dealer. Only thing is if it is warranty dealers will refuse to use customer supplied parts.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But if you know you need the part and they will not pre-order it , I would order it from cheapcycleparts.com myself. They are OEM parts and cheaper than Dealer. Only thing is if it is warranty dealers will refuse to use customer supplied parts.
    I'm afraid that my diagnosis may be off. But I don't think so. Anyway, I would order the parts but if the dealer refused to use them, I am out the expense. And if they did use them, there could be a problem getting reimbursed from the BRP warranty. Too risky to do I think..... Jim
    Semper Fi