Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Student Loan Dumbness

I guess the misguided individuals with massive student loan debt never were taught the classic phrase:

Shakespeare-Quotes32.jpg

All three (3) of our kids went to college, and not a single penny was borrowed for any of them.

Spyder Garage

We are now in the age of entitlement.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Colleges and professors have been gaining while students are losing. This is nothing new, it's been going on for years. To help young couples climb out of a seemingly impossible debt hole, some home loan institutions are allowing applicants to combine their student loan debt in with their home loan.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's nothing to be worried about...
    With the Presidential election coming in about 18 Months: you should start hearing about all of the free stuff that we'll be getting...

NOTE: This post does not in any way endorse a particular party or candidate. It is solely meant to poke fun at ALL of them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, you should know that the government can't give you anything that it hasn't taken away from you first. Everything comes at cost therefore nothing is truly free. Economics 101. No politics intended.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just in case you didn't know: it was all said "tongue in cheek..."

Spyder Garage

Mod stuff:

Two of the usual participants are on vacation for a week.

Just keep it generic and no ####ing matches please. There will be no warnings before shutdown if it gets down and dirty.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-04-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Many go deeply into student loan debt taking courses that prepare them for jobs that are low paying and there is no hope of repaying the loan. It would be nice if there were some sort of system that would put the brakes on that.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Many go deeply into student loan debt taking courses that prepare them for jobs that are low paying and there is no hope of repaying the loan. It would be nice if there were some sort of system that would put the brakes on that.
    There is, it's called a college counselor. However..........................................

Spyder Garage

Yeah......however!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Perhaps someone could satisfactorily explain and justify the cost of a college education?

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i read that most of those who don't have student loan debt never took dance theory
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 05-04-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Sounds better

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Perhaps someone could satisfactorily explain and justify the cost of a college education?
    Well, I'm an engineer with a good job.
    Difficult (not impossible) to get accredited without a college paper filled out with your name on it.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Hi kep-up,

Re: Perhaps someone could satisfactorily explain and justify the cost of a college education?

If you would Google your question you would find the answer.

I come from a VERY working class family, I decided that I wanted more in life. Now, I am a retired engineer with a pension well above the income of most working families.

And, I did not have to use my brawn to make a living.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

My college degree was my ticket to better jobs...but it took me two years to find a company that would give me a start since I was over 50. Once in the field, I ended up with two finance director jobs as well as a college professor at the same time. I held on to the teaching position for eight years after retiring from the others. Without the college degree I would not have done as well.

I had a little bit of debt when I graduated, but paid it off in less than five years. I did finance most of the college stuff by myself though.

On the other side...I know of a couple people who have almost $80K in debt...and have never been able to use their degrees to get better jobs. One even bragged about the debt and that she would never pay it back.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    That's easy! If you think the College it exensive; just give ignorance a try, and see how that one works for you!

Spyder Garage

Hey used brawn and got the education on schools dime, now make more in retirement than when working full time as a millwright. Lol......get your hands dirty Gerty!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Four year apprenticeship for me. I got payed very well to learn as I worked, plus doing classroom learning. When I retire for good in a year, I'll be making more than most earn while working.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on winning the rat race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's easy! If you think the College it expensive; just give ignorance a try, and see how that one works for you!
    Got the best of both worlds. Graduated college with no bebt( worked my a$$ off) with a BS in Industrial Studies. Ya--- shop teacher training +. Welding, machine tool, materials science, ect. And a teaching cert. 37 years later, we are comfortable in retirement with a lot more than $ 500 in the bank.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's easy! If you think the College it exensive; just give ignorance a try, and see how that one works for you!
    Yea Bob, ignorance prevails in all situations even College.

Spyder Garage

After running out of money going to college, then a tour in the Navy, I did the self employed thing doing what I do best, spinning wrenches and having rubber tires turning under me. For over 40 years, I had a mobile machine repair biz where I fixed just one type of machine and became better at it than the others - even the factories acknowledged that. I traveled Oregon, Washington, Idaho and California and had no one over me telling me I had to do this or that. I did it as a regular route, calling on customers once or twice a year. In 2000, my wife retired and traveled with me and got grease under her fingernails too. Those were great years. I enjoyed immensely what I did - so much that I didn't sell off the biz until I was 77. Many customers are now friends. One of my earliest customers, Lee, is now the owner of my Victory Cross Roads.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yea Bob, ignorance prevails in all situations even College.
    There's an old saying: "Nobody ever went broke by overestimating how ignorant folks can be."

Spyder Garage

Here is where a lot of that tuition dept goes. Lukey me I had the Illinois GI bill and New GI Bill. My Maser degree cost almost 40K. I had to pay 10K, not so bad. I could pay out of pocket.

https://www.chronicle.com/interactiv...e_private_2016
    2019 Rally , Black