Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Bought the HMF exhaust

It's for my 2008 GS. Rumor is that if you don't modify the intake you will minimize the problems associated with needing a juice box or o2 modifier. Seems like a lot of confusion as to some spyders working well and others poorly without much explanation as to how or why. I guess I'm the guinea pig. Any insight?

Spyder Garage

Default hmf

all you can do is bolt it on and see how the bike runs with it. chances are it will do just fine. the only issue with aftermarket pipes seems to be running bad in very hot weather. it is my belief that it can be cured with a little more restriction. good luck with it. keep us posted, with pics.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

And I live in central California. Well an excuse to buy a JB I suppose. I'm going to fight the fight though... To many "worked great" comments to ignore. I'll keep the intake bottled up for starters.

Spyder Garage

I ran my HMF for a while without anything else. It ran fine, no problems. The only reason I got a controller is that you will notice a little sloppier response on 100% throttle take off's, those moments where you want to blast the bike from a dead start and burn rubber. She was a little lazy. So I added a fuel controller and......BAM......my take off's were better than stock.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the PCV with autotune......it will put circles around a "canned" tune from the juicebox. Your bike will be tuned specific to your bike and run at optimal performance. The way it tunes your bike is so easy, a child can do it. Compared to the PCV, the juice box is not in the same league.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

I have to agree for the most part.

We have 2 GS's with hindles since day one. One ran fine and only misbehaves in hot weather (90F+) and the other one backfires and coughs and is a cranky beast if it's over 80F. Both of them have fits over 100F.

Doesn't stop you from riding them, they still go when you give it a twist. They just let you know they don't like the heat either.

I put a power commander on mine and all the problems went away. It runs smoother and is noticeably more powerful at the low and high end. When I ride my wife's without the PCV I notice that feeling of "I don't wanna get outta bed" when you first get going. But in general it runs very well. Mine, on the other hand, is like one of those overenergetic little dogs that just wants to run and run and run...

Once you modify the intake as well you'll likely need some fuel assistance to keep from causing damage from running too lean. Stock, this motor runs overly lean already. Opening up both ends only makes that worse, dangerously so. An o2 mod is simple if you can get one and should help a lot at the low end (under 40% throttle and under 6000 rpms), but you'll need a power commander or juice box to master the high end (over 40% throttle or over 6000 rpms)

One step at a time, throw on the new exhaust and go for a ride. Put some miles on it before you decide what to do next. Let it adjust and learn, and give it some different riding conditions (hot, cold, slow, fast, drag strip, salt flats... oh wait...)

- Sny
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the Two Brothers exhaust on my RT - runs fine as is without any additional boxes. I did not see any remarkable (or any that i noticed for that matter) performance improvement but it is a bit more "throaty" sounding and I get a couple of those nice "pops" when decelerating - which I like. Makes me sound like a performance H-D with aftermarkets
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

You guys are great... Thank you. I'll google that auto tune thing..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I ran my HMF for a while without anything else. It ran fine, no problems. The only reason I got a controller is that you will notice a little sloppier response on 100% throttle take off's, those moments where you want to blast the bike from a dead start and burn rubber. She was a little lazy. So I added a fuel controller and......BAM......my take off's were better than stock.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the PCV with autotune......it will put circles around a "canned" tune from the juicebox. Your bike will be tuned specific to your bike and run at optimal performance. The way it tunes your bike is so easy, a child can do it. Compared to the PCV, the juice box is not in the same league.
    Can you provide the part numbers for this? Thx.

Spyder Garage

the 02 mod and a socket in the end of the pipe made mine run like nascar i put the socket in the end of the pipe to make it not so loud but suprised me ganed a lot of tq,she runs grate in all weather,ive also got other bikes and the spyder will run with any of them ,i know your asking wht i mean socket will take a look ,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Wow... Glad I started this. Helps me Learn what others has done.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    the 02 mod and a socket in the end of the pipe made mine run like nascar i put the socket in the end of the pipe to make it not so loud but suprised me ganed a lot of tq,she runs grate in all weather,ive also got other bikes and the spyder will run with any of them ,i know your asking wht i mean socket will take a look ,
    The O2 Modifier would make her run like a champ with just the pipe. Mess with the airbox and or filter and you'd need a JB,PC or JB Pro. I even run an 02 Mod' on my wifes spyder and it's bone stock. Made a world of difference on a stock machine.

Spyder Garage

Default 02 Mod

Did a search but could not find out about the 02 mod. Any one help with the link or sharing?

Carl

Spyder Garage

They have been getting tougher and tougher to locate. Rumor was the Feds were cracking down on smog defeating measures

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow, We bought the 02 mod a couple of years ago and just did a search just now and couldn't locate one. They must have been "regulated" out of existense!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dliszews View Post
    Can you provide the part numbers for this? Thx.
    I bought mine here. It was the best price I foundand they new what they were talking about.

http://www.indysuperbike.com/
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Hmmm. Couldn't find cam am under fuel. Management Optimizer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    Hmmm. Couldn't find cam am under fuel. Management Optimizer
    I may be confused. I bought my PCV w/Autotune at Indy Bikes, not the O2 modifier. I believe the vendor that sold the O2 modifier is no longer in business.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Hmmm. Couldn't find cam am under fuel. Management Optimizer etc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    Hmmm. Couldn't find cam am under fuel. Management Optimizer etc
    http://www.indysuperbike.com/Fuel_Ma...r-1-52990.html
    Ryde Safe!

Spyder Garage

Ok. This is what competes with juicebox pro.. Thank you

Spyder Garage

It begs the question though... What magic does the hindle possess that others do not? If you have a less restrictive exhaust and everything else is OEM without a programmer, what's the difference between HMF and hindle? Same restrictive intake remember....

Spyder Garage

Could someone recommend if it is a good idea to rejet the carburetor if the exhaust is exchanged for after market? I had a bit of a mishap with the bike and needed a new pipe. Bought the TwoBrothers slip on and installed it. No issues per say, but I do notice when gearing down, it coughs and reves a bit. I also noticed that gas consumption is not as good as it was before. The bike is a month old and I just want to make sure I am not causing any damage without rejeting it. Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by juliantrost View Post
    Could someone recommend if it is a good idea to rejet the carburetor if the exhaust is exchanged for after market? I had a bit of a mishap with the bike and needed a new pipe. Bought the TwoBrothers slip on and installed it. No issues per say, but I do notice when gearing down, it coughs and reves a bit. I also noticed that gas consumption is not as good as it was before. The bike is a month old and I just want to make sure I am not causing any damage without rejeting it. Thanks in advance
    The spyder does not have a carburetor. It is fuel injected. You may need a fuel management system. An O2 modifier, juicebox pro, power commander, etc. Two Brothers sells the JB Pro.
    Ryde Safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    The spyder does not have a carburetor. It is fuel injected. You may need a fuel management system. An O2 modifier, juicebox pro, power commander, etc. Two Brothers sells the JB Pro.
    Thanks very much for the explanation. I will look into it. -JT

Spyder Garage

Good luck finding an o2 modifier lol. Interested in how your Spyder is acting though...