Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker handlebar handbrake

Has anyone fashioned an auxiliary handbrake for the Ryker?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Has anyone fashioned an auxiliary handbrake for the Ryker?
    Sounds superfluous. Kind of like adding one to a car for no particular reason.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Sounds superfluous.
    You're probably right. Just hard to get used to not having a handbrake to grab.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    You're probably right. Just hard to get used to not having a handbrake to grab.
    I went from a Piaggio MP-3 500, that had ONLY hand brakes (two of them). Took no time at all to get used to foot brake.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Sounds superfluous. Kind of like adding one to a car for no particular reason.
    Paraplegic? Double amputee?

Spyder Garage

Saw one on one of the facebook groups.

Not in production yet from what I seehandbrake ryker.jpghandbrake ryker.jpghandbrake ryker.jpg.

Hopefully this link works.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Spyder Garage

Yes, I am I need of a handbrake as well. Was diagnosed with ALS last year, I've already sold off all my bikes when I began falling over because I was no longer strong enough to hold up the bikes (broke my spirit not to be able to jump on my bike and ride), then my son showed me the Ryker, with assistance I can get from my wheelchair to Ryker seat. I am having issues with my legs so braking is becoming a problem, but a handbrake would fix all as my hands are still able to squeeze the Brake lever. So anyone with any ideas, pics or thoughts, please chime in on this post.

Spyder Garage

There are handbrakes available for the Spyder lineup. Senior moment, and I cannot remember the brand. Help someone.

They have been around for years, were about $2K installed. Not perfect, but they were helpful to those in need of that assistance.

Try.....ISCI brand. Thanks Highwayman
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I really do enjoy hearing all the ups and downs of Ryker and Spyder owners. I know ISCI has a $1250.00 hand brake for Spyders, I just wonder if anyone with a Ryker has spoken to them about a future production of a hand brake for the Ryker line ? I want to purchase a Ryker 900 Rally edition to ride for awhile, before I invest in a more expensive Spyder, if I love it as well as some of the riders here ! I understand some riders think its overkill, but for someone like me that has lost all but his left "shifting leg", it is the difference of being able to get back a part of my life that I truly miss. I wish BRP Can Am would just see it as an added safety feature for riders that want it. After all.......they have hand brake assemblies on their off road 4 wheeler line ups, so it should be extremely easy to incorporate a hand brake for the Ryker or Spyder line up. Anyways , if any of you have any insight on the future of hand brakes, it would be priceless info for me. Thanks

Spyder Garage

As the base increases there will probably be more options. I would very much “prefer” a handbrake to a footbrake but not at $1,000 plus. For those who need the handbrake maybe speak to ISCI to find out if it can bolt on to the Ryker or if installation is more complicated.

Spyder Garage

I'm sure it will have to be model specific, but like you say, as the base increases , if there's money to be made it will probably happen. It is sad BRP Can Am doesn't see this as a safety feature and give it as an option for riders that need it or just prefer it over a foot brake. After all , 4 wheelers , motorcycles , all have the same set up with braking, why not incorporate it into the Spyder and Ryker as a REASONABLY PRICED option !!!

Spyder Garage

I have another question for the masses about Rotax engines in general. How many miles can a owner expect out of a well kept , moderately ridden Rotax engine ? Mainly the 3 cylinder engines. I ask this in case I find a used machine in very good condition to purchase and install the hand brakes on it myself. I have customized all my motorcycles in the past and installed my own parts, I was an Industrial Maintenance man for 26 years before I was kindly ran over on one of my bikes. I long to get back riding on 3 wheels !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronpegleg View Post
    I have another question for the masses about Rotax engines in general. How many miles can a owner expect out of a well kept , moderately ridden Rotax engine ? Mainly the 3 cylinder engines.....

No-one can really answer that definitively, Ron, simply cos no-one's reached that limit yet!! But there are more than 'just a few' Rotax Engined Spyders & other vehicles out there that've done more than 100,000 miles/the equivalent running hours, while a smaller number (so far) have comfortably topped 150,000 miles!!

Looked after and ridden with some mechanical sympathy, a Spyder engine should easily outlast whatever remaining ryding life you've got in you - even if you're still a young'un!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Following this thread, I have a nephew who has challenges with his legs, he likes my Spyder but it is way beyond his budget, a Ryker would make him the coolest disabled dude in town, provided it has a hand operated brake.
    Ideally a frame to carry a light wheelchair for use when he reaches his destination.
    A motorised invalid car is not really an option, positively dangerous when used on the streets of the U.K.
    There is the second problem, parts get very expensive when shipped to the U.K. from the US. By the time customs and import duties are added, it can easily double the price.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

So here we go, I am a 100% Disabled Vet with the loss of use of my legs. My son and I both purchased a 2019 Can Am Ryker Rally as I love to ride, and sense my Diagnosis I have lost the ability to ride my motorcycles and sold them all (being unable to stand, or shift and brake) definitely makes riding a challenge. The Ryker took alot of those issues away (not having to stand to hold the bike up, no shifting), but I still had to address the issue of braking (pretty important). Searched the web over and over and found nothing, so I decided if I wanted to ride I was going to have to figure out how to move the brakes from the right foot peg to the handlebars. NOW I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE TO DO THIS AND AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR RIDE! After several days of research and careful planning I came up with the idea to have dual handlebar brakes, right side front brakes and left side rear brakes. The idea was to mount the brake handles and then connect the new brake lines into the Rykers brake system. This was done by using Double Banjo Bolts (you will have to weld the hole on the bottom of the banjo bolt closed, to prevent brake fluid from entering into the Rykers brake reservoir, rather then going to the brake calipers which is what you want). So here is what we did. We started by removing the hand guards off the handlebars, and installed a set of handlebar brake systems on each side (everything I used I ordered right off Amazon and I will list parts at the end). We then ran two new brake lines (Don't forget the 2 washer on the line) from the new brake handles down through the bike to the bottom near the Rykers original master cylinder. We then removed the 2 stock banjo bolts from the master cylinder and added the 2 new lines using the new double banjo bolts (dont forget each bolt has 3 washers) a washer goes on the end of the bolt, between each lineand between the last line and the Rykers master cylinder. The front hole is front brakes and the rear hole is back brakes. After we installed the new lines we then used a brake bleeding kit that I purchased from Harbor Freight ($35). We started with the front brakes and just like a car we started with the furthest wheel first, left front (sitting on the bike), then moved to the right wheel. Now we had front functional brakes. We then bleed the rear wheel (pretty easy there only one). So now we had front and rear brakes that were fully operational. So my son took it up and down the street, the brakes worked great, but we did get a VSS error (which I will explain why). Anyone with a Ryker know the start sequence (press brake, motor switch to run, turn throttle reverse and press start button). Well we learned after a bit of research that the factory brake switch has 4 wires coming from it (2 black and 2 red, which go to a connector and change to a (1 red wire, 1 white wire, 1 white wire with a purple tracer and 1 black wire with a violet tracer). So after speaking with Can Am Tech we knew what happened, the computer could not understand all the moving (acceleration, braking and turning, lean angles) without any input from the factory brake pedal and it thought something was wrong and threw a VSS code and put the Ryker into Limp mode for safety reasons. So we built a (Y) harness to come from each new handbrake down to the factory brake switch. With the help from the Tech we knew where to cut the wires (we cut the two black wires, which corresponds with the red wire and white wire at the connector). We now had brake lights on both handbrakes and could start the Ryker holding either handbrake in place of the foot brake in the start up process. We lowered the moveable foot break pedal down and out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robval1987; 02-09-2020 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Add photos
    U.S. ARMY (RET), SHERIFF'S DEPUTY, PATROL OFFICER (LEO RET)
    NEVER DRIVE FASTER, THEN YOU GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Absolutely brilliant, a heck of a lot less expensive than the after market.

I salute you sir.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Thanks, well we my son and I have put the Ryker through our own personal tests, from ECO, Sport and Rally Modes with alot of twisted turning and braking and have not had any error codes. I figured that the total project ran me approximately $150 dollars and 2 days (on and off) to complete. I am still going to post a few more pics, as well a list of all the parts, 1 set of brake handles, 2 brake lines, 2 banjo bolts (order washers too). I also bought the brake bleeder kit from Harbor Freight for $35 dollars
    Attached Images Attached Images
    U.S. ARMY (RET), SHERIFF'S DEPUTY, PATROL OFFICER (LEO RET)
    NEVER DRIVE FASTER, THEN YOU GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let me repeat, "Absolutely Brilliant".
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

that is clever thinking right off the bat, I like your solution. Well done, enjoy your freedom and fresh air.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2023 at 01:44 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I tip my hat to you sir! Old Timer is absolutely right, absolutely brilliant!

Thank you for your service (in all areas) - and I'm so pleased to see that with your ingenuity you are able to continue ryding!
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of you enterprising entrepreneurs should gather the parts in kit form with instillation instructions and appropriate liability disclaimers, messing with the brakes after all and provide it in a mail order form.

The design is well thought out, and easy to implement (install).
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    ...and appropriate liability disclaimers, messing with the brakes after all...
    In today's world this right here is what will stop most in their tracks - including me. I thought about getting my own tire machine for as many tires as I go through and the wife said, you could charge a few bucks and change tires on the side - I nope - I don't want the liability.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I recently got the ISCI hand brake for my F3 and was wondering if the way you did it was possible. I would feel better with handbrakes with lines going directly to the bikes master cylinder than the extra moving parts the ISCI kit has. Great job on figuring it out! I may need some tips from you if I decide to take on your method if you don’t mind?