Spyder Garage

Cool JUST PULLED THE TRIGGER ! 2015 RT Limited with 2,550 miles ... Ima newbie

Test rode it and was impressed. Deb, my wife, can't ride as a passenger on our Kawasaki Voyager anymore, due to a major stroke last Feb. Sooo, it's either give up riding all together, or, sell the car and bike to buy a Spyder. She said go for it. For those of you who replied to my previous post, Thank You! The dealer said the previous owner has a warranty that is transferable for $50, but haven't heard from either of them yet. I'm a newbie on all this, so, expect to see a lot of posts and (DUMAS) questions from me!

1. Can I check the firmware version on the bike?
    2. Is there a cable and app that will let me do #1 OR other "stuff" like switch to LED's?
    3. I love the headlight modulator on my Voyager. Is there one that works on the 2015 Spyder RT Ltd? (I know about the shutter)
    4. 3rd brake light with modulator suggestions?
    5. What accessories should I look for first? Skid Plate? Etc ...

Here 'tiz ...

https://www.nealketnermotors.com/def...=xAllInventory

Ummm ... Guess they pulled it when I bought it.
    Last edited by Sarge; 05-01-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: After thoughts
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the purchase you’ll love it. I still don’t understand the warrantee transfer fee unless it’s not a BEST warranty. There was no transfer cost on mine.

Also there’s, to my knowledge anyway, no firmware on the bike to check or upgrade. That only pertained to 2018 and beyond. Yours does come with the Garmin GPS and luggage bags right?

As far as add on’s that’s personal preference but everything on my used purchase was safety related. Rolo bad boy horn, Baja Ron Sway bar, flashing red brake light, turn signal indicators on side mirrors, extended brake pedal and Continental rear tire.. Only 2 non safety items were pigtail attachment for battery tender and Russell Day Long seat. There’s lots of other fun stuff I want to add though.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-01-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

On joining the Spyder Ryding fraternity.

I don't think you need to worry about the firmware version on a 2015 RT - the new digital dash that's having the issues only hit the streets with the up-market 2018 Spyders, so you're pretty safe as far as firmware goes! So, cos you don't have the latest all digital dash, you won't need that cable and app to update the dash, and switching to LED's is just a matter of selecting the globe to suit your particular needs altho I'm not sure my 'best Aussie preference' actually suits or applies over your way, but someone will help. Similarly with headlight & brakelight modulators, neither are legal here in Aus (well, not for 'civilian owned/operated vehicles' anyway!) so I can't help there either.

As for what accessories to look for, the bumpskid or similar is always going to be a good move, but it's probably better to get some miles in the saddle before you start committing to other things. Many have benefitted greatly from BajaRon's swaybar & heim links, but not all feel the need; similarly, many have fitted shock upgrades or the adjustable collars for the OE shocks from BajaRon & all who have swear by them, but not all feel the need! And you won't find me recommending that you stick with the OE Spec Kenda tires, but for some they are adequate - I'd suggest that's only because they don't know how much better their Spyder experience can be with a real tire running at load appropriate pressures, but if they are happy... And then there's horns & extra lights & indicator repeaters & the list of possible accessories goes on like that for a while, even before you really get stuck into the wonderful world of Farkle-itis &/or adding an array of expensive things just cos you can!

Start racking up those miles of smiles and come to your own conclusions about what accessories you might really need or what farkles you just want! And most importantly, ENJOY! And post pics too - lotsa pics! We really do wanna know & see where you go & what you add to your Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yeah. I'm looking for all that safety related stuff and simple add-ons that will help protect the bike like the skid plate.

Thanks for the reply!
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder and to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

916.jpg

I SEE A YELLOW RT, NOT THE RED YOU WERE LOOKING AT??

GO BIG OR GO HOME...…...GET A LIGHTED bumpskid. from T R I C L E D. I ALSO GOT FRONT "A" ARMS LED, AND FRONT FENDER - REAR LIGHTS. THEY ARE ONLY REFLECTORS NOW, BUT LIGHTS ARE BETTER. ALSO HAVE A REAR BRAKE LED ON TRUNK
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

If you are going to work on your Spyder like doing oil changes and etc. I would suggest the first thing to do is get a set of Magic mirrors they are magnetic the stock ones will drive you crazy.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Continued healing for your wife ... I just celebrated 20 years after a brainstem stroke that left me paralyzed totally, only able to blink, for a month and then a slow recovery ... back close to normal after much work. Things kept healing for several years... so riding on the back of your new Spyder will be a great challenge to her brain as it continues healing... and great wind therapy for you both! Prayers for you two.

Spyder Garage

Suggestions:
    #3 Kisantech is about to release one. I've used their products before.
    #4 Tric-Led has a modulator that goes inline your rear light wiring that gives you several brake light options. Easy DIY. I have it and like it on my 2015 RT.
    #5 That's up to you, I've done a bunch to mine. My best decisions ended up being Elka shocks on the front, Triaxis bars, and a custom seat and backrest.

Enjoy!
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I had a stroke 6 months ago , could not walk for 2 of those months, got 3 nice bikes in the garage as everyone should and still cannot ride them, I am close still working on it, so I bought a new spyder rtin the mean time. G
    et the wife on the back and let her hair fly great therapy, I agree with all above.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the web. I bought mine after turning 75. Love the stability and the quieter engine. 19,000 miles in my initial 16 months. Ride and enjoy

Spyder Garage

Arrow Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for the words of encouragement and suggestions. The dealer was going to trailer the bike 65 miles to the house for free, but, has to go through Winston Salem and Greensboro on 40 East and then 29 North. Means lotsa traffic and paving construction on 29N. I suggested that since he was willing to send a man towing a trailer through all that, that he simply have his man pick me up and take me back to the dealer where we can conduct a proper transaction. He agreed! Soooo, I'm expecting the driver to pick me up at the house between 11 and noon. Back to the dealer, transact, quick lesson session, then 30 miles off to work (second shift). Hopefully I can give you a first ride report when I get time at work. Yeah, I did test drive it , but... not the same. Then 50 miles to home at 1:00 AM! In good weather its just over 100 miles round trip home-work-home.

Um ... Quick question ... what's the best way to deal with a dead critter in the road at night? Besides ...DON'T HIT IT!
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired

Spyder Garage

Welcome. Enjoy the rydes and the thumbs up from all over the place.

Spyder Garage

Would be great to get an update on this.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Update ...

OK, as promised. Installed the Spyderpops bumpskid plate and the Stibel air horn. When mounting the bumpskid plate, you are cautioned not to drill holes #5 & 6 too deep as there are radiator hoses above the drill site. I used a deep-well socket over my drill bit to limit the penetration. Worked great! I had to make a bracket out of some steel bar stock about 8" long and bolted it in place of the original beep-beep horn. Positioned it so that it faces out of the left side vent grill. 132db it's quite LOUD. Didn't use a relay so I'll wait and see if that's gonna be okay. As I understand it, as long as I don't lay on the horn for more than a few seconds, it'll be okay.

https://www.hondaws.com/

TIRES! Mega kudos to Honda, Sea Do and Can-Am of Winston Salem, NC! A Platinum dealer and the largest in the tri-state area. Their top Spyder Technician, Steve, has been working on Spyders since they first came out in 2008. He's a great guy and will take the time to talk to the customer and show them what he's doing. Although they are 1.25 hours and about 65 miles from the house, I rode there and had them install a pair of Hankook Ventus V4 ES - 175/55R15 77T Tires I had purchased from Discount Tire. They also performed a belt alignment and 3-wheel laser alignment. WOW! What a difference! It's like a completely different machine now. No more shake or wobble in the handlebars or mirrors. Although the stock Kendas only had 3k on them, I told them to trash 'em.

AND ... they offer Military/Veteran discounts.

Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you're comfortable doing your own work. With the right tools, you can do anything on this bike yourself. To answer your original question, you can buy the Can Am BUDS system. This is the diagnostic software dealers use. There are some limits, however, such as not being able to get online updates. I have the same bike. With my copy of BUDS, I've been able to do all the maintenance, and diagnostics. Don't be intimidated, it's just another machine, and there's a huge group of folks here that will help you through anything, and some of us aren't that far away! I agree about Honda of WS. We bought a lot of our options there.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red