Thread: Park brake

Spyder Garage

Default Park brake

I have a 17,RT SE6, about 3 months ago, park brake wouldn’t release, unhooked rear linkage, got it home, and it started working. Hooked it back up, all was well. Until yesterday, wouldn’t unlock, unhooked linkage, got it home, still wouldn’t work. Took switch cluster out, unplugged park brake switch, cleaned it, put electric grease back on it, worked great, put it back together, still worked great, went inside, had a sandwich, went to put in garage, wouldn’t unlock again. It’s still under warranty, too it to fixit shop, they said warranty probably wouldn’t cover it cause it was a brake problem. I explained that it was a park brake problem, not brake problem. He said they’d check it out and see. I’m thinking switch or motor, any other thoughts ? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same thing on my 2018 and got it home then to a dealer where they replaced the PB motor under warranty. Took a few days to get the part.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with Flamewinger. There are only two things that affect the workings of the parking brake, the switch and motor, both warranty items. This assumes nothing went wrong with the cable which would be extreeemely unlikely because of its routing. Take it to the dealer and if they give you any about it tell them to open a case with BRP about it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Parking brake failed on my 2017 RTS after only 4500 miles. Would not set so it was ridable (is that spelled right?) so I took to dealer. Fixed under warranty

Spyder Garage

I have had the parking brake motor and parking brake switch both replaced under warranty, separate events. The parking brake lock up is a common problem that plagues the RT's.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. Haven’t heard anything back from them yet. Called and they said it’d next week sometime. I’ll let you know what they say. I put a trailer hitch and wiring harness on it about 2 months ago, they’ll probably say it’s my fault.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What does a hitch and wiring have to do it’s the parking brake? If they give you any excuses tell them the have to prove what you did caused the problem. As I mentioned it’s most likely the PB motor and no hitch or extra wiring would affect it. My dealer figured it out in a day and 3 days later it was fixed.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    What does a hitch and wiring have to do it’s the parking brake? If they give you any excuses tell them the have to prove what you did caused the problem. As I mentioned it’s most likely the PB motor and no hitch or extra wiring would affect it. My dealer figured it out in a day and 3 days later it was fixed.
    Last year, I put a wiring harness on mine and when I started it there was problems with the parking break. It would not release, but I turned the key off and on a couple times and it corrected itself. Then this past weekend, I replaced the headlights and fog lights with LEDS, same issue and same solution.
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest