Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Door revisted

Hi all,
    I've been reading old threads about adding a fuel door to the seat so its simpler to fuel up when your loaded on the back seat. I found Blueknight911 helpful instructions and tips to install a fuel door as well as the idea from garb55/Motorcycle Dave to modify the seat itself so the front piece becomes the flap. My question is this, for those of you who have done either of these approaches, and lived with them awhile, I'm curious about:

1) how useful you found the door to be? (thinking I'm not loaded down most the time so questioning if its worth the effort to put in a door)
    2) for those who used garb55/motorcycle Dave's approach to use the seat itself as a hinge, how has the seat cover held up? I would love to see pictures of a seat after a year or two of use.

I will likely break down and add a fuel access method soon, but curious about other's experience after they put one on the seat.

Thanks!
    Last edited by whereiscarrie; 05-01-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

my Corbin seat came with a fuel door, standard apparently, while unsure at first
    I am now thoroughly spoiled and use it all the time, loaded seat or not.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whereiscarrie View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been reading old threads about adding a fuel door to the seat so its simpler to fuel up when your loaded on the back seat. I found Blueknight911 helpful instructions and tips to install a fuel door as well as the idea from garb55/Motorcycle Dave to modify the seat itself so the front piece becomes the flap. My question is this, for those of you who have done either of these approaches, and lived with them awhile, I'm curious about:

1) how useful you found the door to be? (thinking I'm not loaded down most the time so questioning if its worth the effort to put in a door)
    2) for those who used garb55/motorcycle Dave's approach to use the seat itself as a hinge, how has the seat cover held up? I would love to see pictures of a seat after a year or two of use.

I will likely break down and add a fuel access method soon, but curious about other's experience after they put one on the seat.

Thanks!
    Hi , I'm Mike aka BLUEKNIGHT911 ... garb55 and Dave had workable entries to the cap .....And I agree with you that the possibility for failure do to use IMHO is high .... the seat material was not designed for that type of stress .... I prefer the method that I devised to accomplish the task ..... I did installs as a vendor ( many dozens ) and learned a lot along the way .... did you get my info from a Thread started by " ggivens " , because that was my most recent instructions ...... PS don't try to use one for the JEEP it won't work .... also if you buy a Billet Aluminum door make sure it isn't just a COVER for the door on that vehicle ...... you can PM me with any questions .......................Mike

Spyder Garage

My Russell Day Long also has a fuel door. Very very convenient.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike! My first inclination is to go the route of installing the door. It just feels like a more "solid" way to go. I just don't know if I have the right tools. No dremmel, mainly. Pretty sure I can scrounge the rest of the things from my nephew. I'll look for the instructions on the ggivens thread. Pretty sure the ones I found were from your early days of doing it. At least I have two seats so if I screw it to bad I can try again...
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike! My first inclination is to go the route of installing the door. It just feels like a more "solid" way to go. I just don't know if I have the right tools. No dremmel, mainly. Pretty sure I can scrounge the rest of the things from my nephew. I'll look for the instructions on the ggivens thread. Pretty sure the ones I found were from your early days of doing it. At least I have two seats so if I screw it to bad I can try again...
    I never missed NOT owning a Dremel ....until I bought one .... now I don't think I could live without it .... Dremel sells a 1/8 dia. " Carbide cutting / shaping tool " , I have actually worn out Three of them ..... If you follow how I did the doors ( ggivens thread ) it's hard to screw it up ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Here is the thread Mike was referring to. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l-Gas-Door-DYI

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Here is the thread Mike was referring to. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l-Gas-Door-DYI
    Thank You! I think I will jump in and give this a go one evening next week. (got weekend rides planned the next two weekends, so now is the time to do it and get some benefit!)
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thank You! I think I will jump in and give this a go one evening next week. (got weekend rides planned the next two weekends, so now is the time to do it and get some benefit!)
    The Dremel tool works best using the most Course stone you can get ...............Mike

Spyder Garage

And if you have an adjustable speed one use a slower speed so as not to melt the plastic.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You can pick up a pretty cheap "dremel-like" tool at Harbor Freight. They are $10 without a coupon. Not made for the long-haul, but should work easily for this job. Well worth the investment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike installed a fuel door in my 2014's OEM seat... It worked fantastic!

… in the parking lot of his motel; during SpyderFest 2016...

I liked it so much, that I was sorely tempted to add one to my 2018...

But I couldn't bring myself to cut into that seat!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My only complaint about the fuel door is that the rubber boot on the nozzle blocks your vision, and ability to put the nozzle down into the tank. Ya better hope that the auto stop works on the pump!!!!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    You can pick up a pretty cheap "dremel-like" tool at Harbor Freight. They are $10 without a coupon. Not made for the long-haul, but should work easily for this job. Well worth the investment.
    Good idea! When we lived in NM we shopped Harbor Freight all the time, but since moving to WA I forget about them. Thanks!
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

can you pm me for info to get a flap via Ali Express and info on installation plse? or e/mail to me if possible gibbon@slingshot.co.nz lol looking at putting one on my spyder st ltd thankyou in advance
    blueknight911
    Last edited by happygrin; 04-08-2021 at 04:02 AM. Reason: error

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happygrin View Post
    can you pm me for info to get a flap via Ali Express and info on installation plse? or e/mail to me if possible gibbon@slingshot.co.nz lol looking at putting one on my spyder st ltd thankyou in advance
    blueknight911
    Since you mentioned Me in your post .... let me clarify .... I Installed Gas Doors on many Spyders ( including GS-RS- and ST model seats ) .... I have stated the " FLAP " imho is difficult to do because the plastic is thick and tuff to cut it's also very easy to accidentally cut thru the vinyl seat material and will likely Fail over time ..... good luck .... Mike