Spyder Garage

Default How to wire a Show Chrome Trailer Harness on a 2017 RT?

Purchased Show Chrome Wiring Harness (part # 41-162) to wire my Bushtec Trailer to my 2017 RT. Any good ideas on how to run the leads to the battery since the battery is located in the front of my Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Default At your own risk

I don’t know if this is a great idea but it has worked for me. When the Spyder was new to me (2015 RTS), I didn’t really want to remove a ton of Tupperware so, with the rear valance off, which is needed to plug in the show chrome connectors, I also removed the forward, easy to remove cover with the grate vents. I used a 4 foot cable tie which I frequently use to fish wires through things. From the rear, up high, is a pathway that goes all the way to the front with access at the open front panel. I used split loom to protect the wire and used automotive wire instead of the extensions provided with the kit. With the frunk open and the black cover by the diagnostic port removed, you can fish the wire from the forward panel with the mesh to the area to the top of the frunk. From there you can fish the wire behind the frunk to the battery area. I used an inline fuse at the battery so if my method was flawed, it wouldn’t fry anything. Cable tie to anything stationary everyplace you can along the path.

As an aside, since you will be routing the trailer leads and adding the plug, I chose to put some connectors up in the harness under the rear valance. I run all my additional LED lighting off the trailer leads rather than the native Spyder wiring. This way all my add ons are isolated.

Hope this isnt isn’t too confusing and helps.
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    I don’t know if this is a great idea but it has worked for me. When the Spyder was new to me (2015 RTS), I didn’t really want to remove a ton of Tupperware so, with the rear valance off, which is needed to plug in the show chrome connectors, I also removed the forward, easy to remove cover with the grate vents. I used a 4 foot cable tie which I frequently use to fish wires through things. From the rear, up high, is a pathway that goes all the way to the front with access at the open front panel. I used split loom to protect the wire and used automotive wire instead of the extensions provided with the kit. With the frunk open and the black cover by the diagnostic port removed, you can fish the wire from the forward panel with the mesh to the area to the top of the frunk. From there you can fish the wire behind the frunk to the battery area. I used an inline fuse at the battery so if my method was flawed, it wouldn’t fry anything. Cable tie to anything stationary everyplace you can along the path.

As an aside, since you will be routing the trailer leads and adding the plug, I chose to put some connectors up in the harness under the rear valance. I run all my additional LED lighting off the trailer leads rather than the native Spyder wiring. This way all my add ons are isolated.

Hope this isnt isn’t too confusing and helps.
    Lucky .... yes it does! Thanks for the tip! At least I have a good idea of how to tackle this installation. HerbU

Spyder Garage

Any tips on how to actually route the wires from the top of the frunk to the battery?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can also pick up a direct battery + on the back of the alternator...This is located under the left side center panel close to where your knee would be setting on the bike...