Spyder Garage

Default Garmin/Zumo GPS Caution

I have a 2015 RTL with the BRP supplied Garmin GPS. The other day I noticed that I was not getting turn by turn instructions through my Spyder's speakers. I checked the volume control on the GPS and got an error of something like I either needed to be connected to a headset or speakers. I messed around with various settings on the GPS and bike and nothing changed. I took the GPS in and out of its cradle and nothing changed. I decided to look at the pins very carefully. In the attached photo you see the back of my GPS. The arrows are pointing to what I'm guessing is a water proof sealer around the pin pads. When I looked closely I saw that some of the sealer had flowed out onto the pads. Using my fingernail I pushed the rubbery sealer back towards the seal and away from the pad. TaDa: All works fine! My guess is a combination of age and perhaps So AZ heat had allowed the sealer to flow a bit.

Zumo GPS Sealant.jpg

I share this in case anyone else is wondering why they can't hear their GPS over their speakers anymore.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Give GARMIN a call about this. They're pretty good about backing the zumo GPS's. I have 590LM, which I purchased for my 2-wheeler, and one of the gold pins on the mount came loose and flopped around. It didn't cause any GPS issues, but I called Garmin anyway. They asked me to take some pictures and email them to them. After they looked at the pictures they sent me a brand new cradle, for free.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW. Good catch.

And a good suggestion about calling Garmin support.

At the very least, I think you should trim off that excess glue or sealant.....because it will cause you more trouble down the line.