Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

For me no question, Spyder F3. Long distance, power,etc. But if money was an issue and wanted to go from two to three wheels, then the Ryker.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    I just chose the 2019 Ryker Rally over the 2019 base F3. I test rode the F3 base and the Ryker 900 several times, my dealer said feel free to ride either of his demo’s until my Rally is ready (s/b Sat).

The F3 felt a bit more plush than the Ryker, it also felt larger but didn’t bring anything to the table worth $5,000 more to my needs. I don’t really need the larger engine or additional cargo options and the ground clearance/gvwr capacity are basically the same. The Ryker also felt a bit more stable in turns, maybe just perception coming from 2 wheels.

I bought The Rally, not the standard Ryker, the $1,000 delta between those models was worth it to me for the included upgrades to the suspension, seat pan, bump skid, etc. If the F3 base was $1,500 over the Rally I might have considered it more seriously but I mostly ride 2 lane country roads and rarely go over 65-70 mph unless on the interstate. I also like that the Rykers have shaft drive vs a belt, given the road conditions where I ride.

In the end I could have rationalized either the F3 or the Ryker but I found the Ryker more fun to ride.
    Thanks for the insight. I have not rode the F3 but I did ride they Ryker Rally, and that's what I ordered. Seems production is lacking. Dealers cant keep them.

Spyder Garage

I have Both-I Just hope they don't come up with anything New next year?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have Both-I Just hope they don't come up with anything New next year?
    I know you were super excited about the ryker when it was announced. Your plan was to sell/trade in your F3 and just have the Ryker as it met your needs and weren't driving long distances etc. Why did you end up keeping both and if you HAD to keep only one which would you keep and why.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    Can you share while you bought a ryker if you already had the spyder (assuming that was the order of purchase). Can you share some of the differences, including what the ryker does better than the spyder you already have.

For me, I have virtually no experience with either the ryker or spyder but I just don't see what advantage the ryker has other than price and the driveshaft/dirt road ability. Other than that the ryker is smaller, has far less storage and storage options, isn't as good for two-up, and isn't better on fuel. I am not being critical of the ryker and I will probably end up getting a 600cc ryker mostly due to affordability but I am just trying to understand why someone would choose the higher end rykers over the F3 given the relative similar price points.
    My wife liked my Spyder and found it easy for her to ride. She had been considering getting a 300cc+ scooter but the stability of the Ryker made more sense. My wife is in love with her Ryker. She rides without timidity on the Ryker which is something she lacked on 2 wheels. I have found ite Ryker to be a Hoot. It is lighter, simpler and generally a bit sportier than the F3L.

I really like the F3L which I will use for touring and towing my Time Out camper. It is just different tools for different jobs.

JPEG image.jpg
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

I just saw a craigslist ad from the DC area... according to the ad the have some healthy discounts on 2018 spyder models, including this:

"2018 Can-am Spyder:
    F3 Spyder, all colors- $12,777"

They also have some decent discounts on other spyder models. I didn't want to post the link as I cannot vouch for the prices or dealer and posting links is probably not allowed anyway.

Too bad DC is 6-7 hours away and that I can't afford it right now. But if they are indeed selling them for that price it's really close the the ryker rally price.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I've called on similar ads they have the listed price but then is $900 shipping fee and $300 prep and , etc. I'm not saying you can't buy the bike for the listed price I'm just saying in my experience they start adding BS fees when you show interest in buying.

Spyder Garage

Completely different trikes, one is good for touring other is great for urban driving.

Beside that, the relevant numbers (Spyder 1330 vs Ryker 900):
    0-60mph: ~4.8s vs ~6s
    MPG: ~30-40mpg vs ~25-35mpg
    Coverage: ~249mi vs ~158mi
    Service: 9300mi vs 6000mi

but then a base Spyder with a minimum set of farkles will cost you almost twice a Ryker.

So I guess the choice will depend on type of usage and budget.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having owned 3 RTs: it simply comes down to picking the one that best suits your needs...
    Having said that...
    If I was buying another bike: it'd be the Ryker 600 twin.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Having owned 3 RTs: it simply comes down to picking the one that best suits your needs...
    Having said that...
    If I was buying another bike: it'd be the Ryker 600 twin.
    Interesting you say that as a previous RT owner... The 900 versions seem to be far more popular.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Needs can change...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm a fan of the F3. The Ryker is too petite for me, I am 1,90m (6 feet 3 inches) tall. The F3 has enough power, is sporty and I like the design. I also prefer the semi-automatic transmission, I don't want a CVT.
    But I understand anyone who prefers a Ryker. It's a nice trike, ideal for gravel and curvy roads. So test both and decide then.
    Both are excellent reverse trikes and make a lot of fun - enjoy your ride.

Spyder Garage

If I rode alone, Ryker. The gas mileage is reportedly terrible but I found the Ryker to be comfortable and extremely fun. The lack of power steering also made it feel like I had more control than the spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cr8n View Post
    If I rode alone, Ryker. The gas mileage is reportedly terrible but I found the Ryker to be comfortable and extremely fun. The lack of power steering also made it feel like I had more control than the spyder.
    Gas mileage is not much different than the 1330. Maybe not quite as good but you only have to use regular gas which will give you a significant savings.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

My best advice is go with your heart and brain, if they are both singing from the same hymn sheet go with that for either Spyder or Ryker
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

I want to revive this thread a bit.... If you chose the ryker over a spyder or a spyder over a ryker please share. I would love to hear what went into your decision.

Spyder Garage

Hey all i did a quick search but didn't see a thread on this, so here goes.

With the Ryker Rally coming in at around $11k and a new 2018 Spyder f3 (base) being offered for around $14k. Which would you choose and why? or maybe the question should be which DID you chose and why. Or maybe it should be if you were in the market right now which would you choose. I would love to hear your thoughts.
    One is a brand-new model built to the lowest price possible with no track record of reliability and no experienced mechanics because it's new. The other has been manufactured for years and there is a world of information available, quite a few mechanics, and a whole web site full of experienced Spyder ryders who can help you. The Spyder is also more powerful (1330 vs 900 cc), has either a manual or semi-automatic transmission, and more storage. In a few years the Ryker may prove to be absolutely fantastic but IMO right now the Spyder has the advantage. Obviously you may feel completely different and that's perfectly okay. Ride them both and decide.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I want to revive this thread a bit.... If you chose the ryker over a spyder or a spyder over a ryker please share. I would love to hear what went into your decision.
    Originally planned on getting the Ryker because on paper it seemed simpler and more sport orientated than the Spyder.While waiting for them to arrive sourced a new discounted F3S for for not a lot more $ than the Ryker.In the end this proved to be better handling more comfortable more power better load carrying (with a few tweaks) more refined option than the Ryker.Bang for buck won out for me but both are super cool with no big downside to not buy either.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    I just chose the 2019 Ryker Rally over the 2019 base F3. I test rode the F3 base and the Ryker 900 several times, my dealer said feel free to ride either of his demo’s until my Rally is ready (s/b Sat).

The F3 felt a bit more plush than the Ryker, it also felt larger but didn’t bring anything to the table worth $5,000 more to my needs. I don’t really need the larger engine or additional cargo options and the ground clearance/gvwr capacity are basically the same. The Ryker also felt a bit more stable in turns, maybe just perception coming from 2 wheels.

I bought The Rally, not the standard Ryker, the $1,000 delta between those models was worth it to me for the included upgrades to the suspension, seat pan, bump skid, etc. If the F3 base was $1,500 over the Rally I might have considered it more seriously but I mostly ride 2 lane country roads and rarely go over 65-70 mph unless on the interstate. I also like that the Rykers have shaft drive vs a belt, given the road conditions where I ride.

In the end I could have rationalized either the F3 or the Ryker but I found the Ryker more fun to ride.
    Thanks! This is all very helpful. I'm trying to decide between the 2. Unfortunately there are no baseline f3's to be found in my area to test drive. The dealers say they are all being used for the rider education program till December. Not sure if I should wait or go with the Ryker now. I like the Ryker a lot so it would need to really be a game changer to spend the $$ for the f3. At least thats my initial thought.

Spyder Garage

Alot of Spyders of all variety’s on the used market with folks buying the 20/21s...the most value/capability/performance for the least amount of $$

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

When I was researching both machines, the ryker rally was my first choice. Then I sat on one, and thought " I will be invisible to traffic ". Wound up with a 2020 spyder f3s special series and ride it every chance I get. Go test ride both and choose after you have tried both!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wasn’t looking for a new ryde, still have my ‘14 RT-S and love it. Initially, my Dealer wanted people to test ryde the rykers for feedback. I took out just the base model 600 for most of one day, and had a blast on it. A real nice, peppy machine, although my impression on it after owning and ryding my RT was that if I was in the market, I would be looking at the 900 Rally. Whichever one you decide on, ryde it and ENJOY!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I am on the fence now. Have not seen on Ryker on the road and just a handful of Spyders. You would think living close to Malibu I would see alot of them but nope. I keep seeing issues with the Rykers on FB forums which makes me a bit nervous in addition to possibly not being seen on the road in LA traffic. Reliability of the Spyders does seem a bit better. Just wish there were more competent dealers that carried/serviced them. I have taken the Can Am class on the Ryker and plan on test driving a base F3 soon.

Spyder Garage

after around 40.000 miles on GS/ RT Spyders we changed to a Ryker 900 and invested around 2.500,- on extras for our use - we ride here in the Mountains or on longer tours to the Italian coast - 16.000 miles now without any real problem - its built for roads like this, better handling / faster / easier to service - brilliant full automatic and shaftdrive .. handles the same max-load like the F3 and weigh 300 lbs less ..
    if BRP offers nothing new .. we would not change back !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgibE5Pc4JU
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Which would I choose? Yes! My old knees didn’t want to hold up the 850# 2 wheeler any more, so I went 3 wheeler. My RTL for comfort on a long run, cargo capacity, trailering. My wife liked the stability, so she has a Ryker Because she wants the twist-and-go CVT.

Either is a great choice. What matters is what fits the Ryder’s needs.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray