Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What would you choose? Spyder vs Ryker

Hey all i did a quick search but didn't see a thread on this, so here goes.

With the Ryker Rally coming in at around $11k and a new 2018 Spyder f3 (base) being offered for around $14k. Which would you choose and why? or maybe the question should be which DID you chose and why. Or maybe it should be if you were in the market right now which would you choose. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Spyder Garage

They are very different and which is right for you depends on how you will use it. Longer distance road trips, the F3. Local hangouts and back country gravel roads, the Ryker.

You should test ride both and then decide. For me, the F3 makes much more sense but I do long road trips on a regular basis. Seldom take the bike out for less than 200 miles in a day and several week trips are the norm for us. The high speed stability is also much better on the Spyder.

Ryker is a fun runabout.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Spyder because of build quality
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

An apples/oranges call IMO. There both great machines. It just depends on the buyer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Depends on too many different things, but I would choose the Spyder....I like the ability to carry things other than just me. If you're just gonna do short day rides and bomb around, then maybe the Ryker
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would not buy an F3 because I don't like the ergos and can't get comfortable on it. I like the size of the Ryker and through adjustments have found a good seating and bar position. The only reason I know this however is because I have ridden both of them. You really have to ride them both to know for sure which one(s) will work for you.

Spyder Garage

I've got an 2011 RS. I do a lot of dirt/gravel road riding so got very excited about the Ryker Rally 900 as it sounded perfect this.

I'm not a fan of feet forward sitting position, the stock RS position perfect for me. But I was willing to put up with it on the Ryker to get better off-tarmac handling and the shaft drive (I'm on my third belt).

Local dealer finally got one in and I couldn't wait to try it out.

What a disappointment, it was so so small.

Whatever position the bars and foot pegs were put in it was really cramped to the point where I didn't even bother with a test ride. The F3 I'd previously tried wasn't that comfortable for me but this was far worse. Even the sales guy said I looked as if I was sitting on a kids toy. I'm 'only' 6'2" (though long limbed) so tall but not stupidly so.

According to the sales guy my reaction matched the other RS riders they'd had who'd planned to buy one but changed their mind when they sat on it.

Spyder Garage

OP here. I started the thread out of curiosity and to see others reactions. I also started it as a resource for healthy comparison so that others contemplating this same question. I know sitting on them and test riding them is the best way to go about it but I am not in a position to be buying anything right now. We have a baby due in mid May and that has pushed back my spyder/ryker purchase indefinitely.

Spyder Garage

Indefinitely is a long time. With that said, I have been waiting on my Ryker Rally to come in for a few weeks now and it still hasn't even shipped. Dealer has a used 2013 Spyder ST Limited that I may look at because the Ryker Rally waiting is killing me. Yes, I could go to a different dealer possibly but this one has offered me the best trade value so I'm sticking with him. Happy Baby though, wish you and the Mrs the best with the new addition.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As others have said it depends on how and where you ryde. I think the Ryker is a great around town type of vehicle. It would be a great commuter to work. But if you ever think about long distance ryding, the Spyder would be the better choice.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would take any of the spyders over the ryker. The only way to tell is to try them yourself. Once the 600's get cheap enough, I might consider one for short trips around town. But for anything else, any spyder will do.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

jcthorne from Houston said it all..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    They are very different and which is right for you depends on how you will use it. Longer distance road trips, the F3. Local hangouts and back country gravel roads, the Ryker.

You should test ride both and then decide. For me, the F3 makes much more sense but I do long road trips on a regular basis. Seldom take the bike out for less than 200 miles in a day and several week trips are the norm for us. The high speed stability is also much better on the Spyder.

Ryker is a fun runabout.
    I agree with above,picked up a ryker yesterday for the wife.Drove it home 53 miles for her on mostly highways.The ryker didn't ride no where near the same as the spyder rt I had.I sold my rt last year and went back to 2 wheels because I decided I wasn't going to do anymore long distance riding.The wife decided she wanted to ride again and the ryker will work for her.I enjoyed the rt but for local riding it wasn't worth hanging on to.The ryker is capable of long distance but not the comfort of a spyder.So go drive them both and decide,both good machines.

Spyder Garage

I also looked at the Ryker, and while I love the concept, I felt like there should be circus music playing when I sit on them. I'm also 6'2" and couldn't get comfortable in it. The seat would have to go back a minimum of about 3" to work for me. That being said, they're still really cool bikes, and my wife may eventually ditch her vstar 950 for a rally edition. She's 4'10" and it fits her great. She also looks really good on it.

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with the thought that if you want to go long distance on paved roads, pick the F3. If dirt roads and local rides are your thing, pick the Ryker. I picked the F3 because my wife and I like touring, I can't sit on an RT without severe pain and I have a Jeep for dirt roads; but if I could, I'd have a Ryker too just to bomb around in the dirt.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

I have some hands on knowledge since we have both a F3 Limited and a Ryker. This is not a choice between similar products. It's like choosing between a H-D Road Glide and a Sportster. All good at what they do but they serve different functions and markets.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post
    I have some hands on knowledge since we have both a F3 Limited and a Ryker. This is not a choice between similar products. It's like choosing between a H-D Road Glide and a Sportster. All good at what they do but they serve different functions and markets.
    Agree completely, you cant really compare the 2 in any way. If I was going to tour then definitely a Ryker wouldn't be on my radar. But since I ride at the most 200 miles at a time and more so than not under 100 miles, a Ryker is a good affordable option.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post
    Can you share while you bought a ryker if you already had the spyder (assuming that was the order of purchase). Can you share some of the differences, including what the ryker does better than the spyder you already have.

For me, I have virtually no experience with either the ryker or spyder but I just don't see what advantage the ryker has other than price and the driveshaft/dirt road ability. Other than that the ryker is smaller, has far less storage and storage options, isn't as good for two-up, and isn't better on fuel. I am not being critical of the ryker and I will probably end up getting a 600cc ryker mostly due to affordability but I am just trying to understand why someone would choose the higher end rykers over the F3 given the relative similar price points.

Spyder Garage

Well, an F3 starts at $16k and you can get a Ryker for $8,500. And the 900 Rally is only $11k. Not really similar price points unless my math is way off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Well, an F3 starts at $16k and you can get a Ryker for $8,500. And the 900 Rally is only $11k. Not really similar price points unless my math is way off.
    The ryker rally is 11k and I have seen some new '17 or '18 f3 for ~$14k on cycle trader. So thats only a difference of $3k. The Ryker Rally isn't likely to be discounted but with the new old stock f3 they might move on the price some. I am just saying that price isn't too far apart on those two models specifically. Clearly the 600 is vastly cheaper.

Spyder Garage

I just searched Nationwide new 2017 to 2018 F3 on Cycle Trader and see nothing out there other than MSRP. If I could buy a 2018 F3 for $14k and not have to travel across the country I would certainly entertain that.

Spyder Garage

I just searched Nationwide new 2017 to 2018 F3 on Cycle Trader and see nothing out there other than MSRP. If I could buy a 2018 F3 for $14k and not have to travel across the country I would certainly entertain that.
    https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...%29-5003149400

It is a bit far... There are a couple F3's in ohio (close to me) for $14.4

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...%29-5003149400

It is a bit far... There are a couple F3's in ohio (close to me) for $14.4
    That's a great deal, too bad it's in NC.

Spyder Garage

That's a great deal, too bad it's in NC.
    yeah its about a 5-6 hour drive. the ones in ohio (close to me) for $14.4 are probably a better option. With the ryker Rally, I would need to add a passenger seat and or a saddle bag or case so I would have room to carry a few things (like rain gear) The Spyder in the link already has a rear seat and a usuable frunk. I guess I just wanted to know for only $2-2500 extra is their any reason someone shouldn't just pick the f3 over the ryker other than price.

Again it is all moot for me as I am not in a position to buy anything right now, just wanted to hear others thoughts.

Spyder Garage

I just chose the 2019 Ryker Rally over the 2019 base F3. I test rode the F3 base and the Ryker 900 several times, my dealer said feel free to ride either of his demo’s until my Rally is ready (s/b Sat).

The F3 felt a bit more plush than the Ryker, it also felt larger but didn’t bring anything to the table worth $5,000 more to my needs. I don’t really need the larger engine or additional cargo options and the ground clearance/gvwr capacity are basically the same. The Ryker also felt a bit more stable in turns, maybe just perception coming from 2 wheels.

I bought The Rally, not the standard Ryker, the $1,000 delta between those models was worth it to me for the included upgrades to the suspension, seat pan, bump skid, etc. If the F3 base was $1,500 over the Rally I might have considered it more seriously but I mostly ride 2 lane country roads and rarely go over 65-70 mph unless on the interstate. I also like that the Rykers have shaft drive vs a belt, given the road conditions where I ride.

In the end I could have rationalized either the F3 or the Ryker but I found the Ryker more fun to ride.