Spyder Garage

Default Knock when start out from full stop

Is it normal to have a knock in the drive train when starting out from a full stop. I read somewhere that there is "lash" associated with driveshaft bikes. Is this what I'm experiencing.

Spyder Garage

Yes! That is just how the CVT works with centrifugal clutch. My Piaggio MP-3 500 was the same way.

It is kind of disheartening, wondering if something is not quite right, and kind of embarrassing when taking off next to other vehicles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Totally normal with a belt drive CVT drive train as the centrifugal clutch engages when the motor RPM comes off of idle RPM as you increase throttle.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

It's just polite to knock before entering
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Is it normal to have a knock in the drive train when starting out from a full stop. I read somewhere that there is "lash" associated with driveshaft bikes. Is this what I'm experiencing.
    It is "normal" for the Ryker but not "normal" for every other CVT cycle. From personal experience, bikes like Silverwings and Burgmans are smooth as glass. The difference gets down to having to accommodate a reversing gear and a shaft delivering torque to the final drive (which is yet another gear set). I would guess BRP will reduce the overall lash in future models but do not worry yours is abnormal. If helps if you hold the brake on while rolling the throttle slowly. That seems to dampen the shock to acceptable (non-embarrassing) levels. Going from reverse to forward in a quick manner usually results in a huge bang if you don't do the technique mentioned above. Good luck!
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    It is "normal" for the Ryker but not "normal" for every other CVT cycle. From personal experience, bikes like Silverwings and Burgmans are smooth as glass. The difference gets down to having to accommodate a reversing gear and a shaft delivering torque to the final drive (which is yet another gear set). I would guess BRP will reduce the overall lash in future models but do not worry yours is abnormal. If helps if you hold the brake on while rolling the throttle slowly. That seems to dampen the shock to acceptable (non-embarrassing) levels. Going from reverse to forward in a quick manner usually results in a huge bang if you don't do the technique mentioned above. Good luck!
    The CVT trannies are different than normal ATV and The Ryker trannies. The pully ratio setting in the scooters you mentioned are computer controlled (the bikes ECU) the normal belt drive tranny as in the Ryker and most ATV's and Side by Sides are controlled by the RPM of the motor shaft with the centrifugal clutch suddenly slamming the drive pulley tightly against the drive belt. The Burgman utilizes a specially designed chain rather than a belt. Very much like CVT tranny used in cars.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

If you immediately give good amount of throttle twist when starting out rather than gradually, it will skip the knock.

Spyder Garage

The transmission engages at 1800 RPM on my Ryker Rally. It is possible to smooth and sometimes avoid the knock if you ease through 1700-2000 rpm with a slower twist.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You got it! Ease it on then get to it. Pretty soon it will be second nature. cueman