Spyder Garage

Default report from the front

How the Spyder world has changed.

A few short years ago Spyderfest was a national celebration of all things Spyder.
    There were leaders, of course.
    And we followed.
    Gladly.
    We were one group defined by our love of an idiosyncratic vehicle based on a snowmobile with wheels.
    Armand Bombardier would have loved the Spyder, I think.
    Bombardier wanted a vehicle to travel the snowfields of Quebec and Ontario in an economical and fun way.
    The Ski Doo was born.
    A 7 horsepower machine that did something that nothing else had ever done.
    It traveled the snowfields in a reliable and entertaining way.
    Any old film of Bombardier riding his invention will show a man having a very good time indeed.
    This guy launched a company that changed the world.
    The spirit of innovation is alive and well at BRP today.
    Think ryker, a Spyder version of elan. Elan saved ski doo from bankruptcy during the years of no snow and high gas prices in North America.
    These guys innovated themselves out of trouble.
    As an engineer myself, I find that inspiring.
    So I know that Spyderfest isn't what it used to be.
    But damn, what a lost opportunity.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

I remember just a few yrs ago there would be dozens of threads about Spyderfest beginning in the winter....now......1 thread now and then. My personal experience and thought was that a ton of people went once and decided it was too big and decided not to return. I'm sure it'll be a good time had by hundreds of new comers and veterans alike. We have everything we want to add to our Spyder, so we likely won't go back next year either...We've made some great friends from the Spyder family and that's what matters
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I remember just a few yrs ago there would be dozens of threads about Spyderfest beginning in the winter....now......1 thread now and then. My personal experience and thought was that a ton of people went once and decided it was too big and decided not to return. I'm sure it'll be a good time had by hundreds of new comers and veterans alike. We have everything we want to add to our Spyder, so we likely won't go back next year either...We've made some great friends from the Spyder family and that's what matters
    It is a transition, I think, from cult to mainstream.
    Back when we truly did know each other, if not by name, at least by ryde it seemed a much friendlier place.
    I would like to see that spirit return, but as an aging hippie who has lived and seen too many dreams fall apart this may be impractical too.All I ask is that we treat each other with respect and show a degree of kinship based on a vehicle that most of us find an absolute blast to drive.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

I think you hit the nail on the head.....just a few years ago the "Spyder community" was more of a "Cult" to many. Now that the Spyder is more commonly known, it's like the newness has worn off. Spyderfest I think will still be a big event for new owners to attend though. Admittedly, To be a part of it is pretty cool....on one hand. On the other, it seems to have gotten so big that it kind of consumes itself. It is something that I think all new owners should experience once anyway. What's not to like when you're on an acre of accessories for our Spyders?
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

maybe I'm sorry to have missed out on it? Not sure. I lived in Daytona during much of the 70s-early 80s, and usually enjoyed Bike Week. But my bother used to go every year till the last few, and it's gotten so big that I have no desire to go. Sometimes these events get to the point where it's more aggravating then interesting. I don't do well in big crowds or with lost of traffic so maybe it's better for me that things are smaller?
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I was kind of more under the impression politics between promoters had an effect on the event.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I was kind of more under the impression politics between promoters had an effect on the event.
    You hit the nail on the head!!! That and friends changing to newer friends. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

You are right on with the comment about things are better when smaller! watch for Spyderfever next year in Council Bluffs, IA brought to you by NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders). The event sells out quickly because "SMALLER IS BETTER" and the NISR group gives you a lot more of bang for your buck. the attendees love it for many reasons: organized, all in one area, well mapped out rides, entertainment, 130 limitation where everybody knows everyone, and did I mention food? like breakfast, lunch and dinner each day!! It's the premier Spyder event in the Midwest. Catch the Spyderfever web site and/or Facebook for info.
    BIG F

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    How the Spyder world has changed.

A few short years ago Spyderfest was a national celebration of all things Spyder.
    There were leaders, of course.
    And we followed.
    Gladly.
    We were one group defined by our love of an idiosyncratic vehicle based on a snowmobile with wheels.
    Armand Bombardier would have loved the Spyder, I think.
    Bombardier wanted a vehicle to travel the snowfields of Quebec and Ontario in an economical and fun way.
    The Ski Doo was born.
    A 7 horsepower machine that did something that nothing else had ever done.
    It traveled the snowfields in a reliable and entertaining way.
    Any old film of Bombardier riding his invention will show a man having a very good time indeed.
    This guy launched a company that changed the world.
    The spirit of innovation is alive and well at BRP today.
    Think ryker, a Spyder version of elan. Elan saved ski doo from bankruptcy during the years of no snow and high gas prices in North America.
    These guys innovated themselves out of trouble.
    As an engineer myself, I find that inspiring.
    So I know that Spyderfest isn't what it used to be.
    But damn, what a lost opportunity.
    Good to hear from you occasionally Roger. I agree things sure have changed.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

You have always had your finger on the pulse and helped so many here. So glad you did not disappear completedly as some of the others have. Your spydercodes app has helped so many over the years and we all thank you for that... best tool in my tool kit You are right, though I never made it to one I have no interest anymore and stick to the smaller ones till they get out of hand. Hope all is well with you and yours and the VW is running great...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Of course you are right.
    However, the fact remains that the group is a couple of thousand and the fact that two guys can't seem to get along should not impact the ties and bonds between the rest of us.
    But I concede it does.
    And I find that disturbing.
    I haven't and won't voice an opinion on the subject, but it should not affect the rest of us.
    That was the point of my post but I guess it got lost in my admiration for Mssr. Bombardier.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Okay, it's Tuesday.
    I know because my elder watch tells me it is.
    Old guys need all the help we can get.

I went to watch the vendors set up at The Rock.
    I saw and sat on a Ryker for the first time.
    I like it.
    I think the off road ability, while severely limited by the clearance height, is interesting.
    It's a 3/4 scale model of a Spyder.
    75% of let's say 24K is 18K.
    A fully decked out Ryker is around 11K.
    It's a bargain if you can give up storage.
    I can't.
    But, it sure is easier for a fat, arthritic old guy to get on and off of.
    Not that I know this from personal experience.
    I just happen to be acquainted with a fat, arthritic old guy who told me this.
    The CVT transmission scares me, but the solid shaft drive could push me over the edge.
    Anyway, today the vendors are setting up and from what I could see there are a few innovative vendors
    that may have some interesting products.
    I'll let you know.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Bit bucket?
    It seems my last couple of posts landed elsewhere.
    I guess toes must be hurting.
    Okay I don't own this space. Fair Enough.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.