Spyder Garage

Default Looking at a 2015 RT Limited ... Good deal or not?!?

Hi all! Since Deb had her stroke, it's either give up riding completely or get a Spyder. Soooo, I think we are finally about to pull the trigger. Found a 2015 RT Limited with only 2,515 miles!! It is at a dealer that only deals with used bikes of all kinds, so I know they are in it to make money. He's asking $18k out the door with tax,title,tags. NEAL KETNER MOTORS has been in business for about 18 years and they are adding on to their building. They take all their maintenance to a CanAm dealer 4 miles up the street.

Here's the link:

https://www.nealketnermotors.com/def...=xAllInventory

Dealer says the previous owner MAY have a transferable extended warranty ($50), so I'm waiting on that. Is this a good deal? What should I look or ask for before I close the deal?!? Oil change maybe? Anyone know about RPM One warranty?

Are there any dealer programming updates I should be looking for?
    Last edited by Sarge; 04-29-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: After thoughts
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

With warranty I say good deal.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. Anyone else? ... Bueller ... bueller ....
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Just a couple of things to consider..... Test ride. The bike should track straight and be pretty much vibration free at all speeds. Make sure you take it to 70+ MPH to make sure it is all good. Some dealers are better than others when setting the bike up initially for sale. A lot of new bikes go out the door new with poor alignment, poor belt tension and alignment, and tires that are defective. Some are all good but I think that is the exception. The first dealer service should have been done by now. That could be expensive if not completed. Don't assume that the bike will be correct in all respects just because it has low miles. It could be that the PO didn't ride much because the bike was not commissioned correctly and was scary to ride. let us know how you make out. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The warranty should be BRP's B.E.S.T. warranty. No third party ones.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

That is about what we just paid for an almost identical RTL and we are happy with the deal. Just got it less than a week ago and put 3 or 4 hundred miles on it and it rides great. Ours has 5000 miles on it, came from a private seller, but it came with a couple extras so probably an even deal with the one you are looking at. It did take a few rides to get used to it compared to a 2 wheeler. Ours it a really nice looking red but the yellow looks great too.

All that being said, we did look at a 2016 at a dealer in Northern VA that only had 150 miles on it, and one decent test ride showed why. 1 mile out handling like crap, and 1 mile back in limp mode with a VSS fault. My guess on the 2016 is that the machine was probably a lemon and the dealer could never make it right for the original owner so they took it back or something. I got real bad vibes from that one.

Spyder Garage

So I think that’s a fair deal as well. I paid 1000 more than that a year ago for an RTL with 15k on it not including tax and license etc but the bike had about 1.5k of extras that I would have put on it plus he delivered from Az. which saved another $800 or so. Plus the Ryker hadn’t come out yet so the market hadn’t been depressed on top of BRP lowering the cost of the RTL this year. So not a great deal but a fair one for me. For the miles on the one you are looking at plus the out the door price I think that’s pretty decent.

In addition to what everyone else has suggested call a dealer and have them run the VIN for maintenance records. Also if it’s the BRP BEST warranty there is no transfer cost.

Good luck I hope it works out!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

look critically at the rubber. Price is probably avg.? Y0u certainly can't get a new one for that.
    The low mile spyder is not unique. because of our demographic, many of us "age out" or "health out"
    Take your time getting used to it before you turn up the wick. Good luck.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I'm sure Honda CanAm of Winston Salem did the maintenance for Ketner. They are a good dealership. Bought my used 2015 RTL from them in March 2017 with only 224 miles! They were good to work with, decent priced with there service dept. Will put on car tires on a Spyder. When I was looking, Ketner had a used spyder also, but only looked at there website, found better deal at WS Honda. 18K out the door sounds reasonable. Just do some checking on Kelly Blue Book, and look thru Cycletrader for similar priced RT to get a gage of prices
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Good to see GPS is still there. Don't see any other accessories. Get BEST warranty. There is no dash updates on a 2015, that started in 2018
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    So I think that’s a fair deal as well. I paid 1000 more than that a year ago for an RTL with 15k on it not including tax and license etc but the bike had about 1.5k of extras that I would have put on it plus he delivered from Az. which saved another $800 or so. Plus the Ryker hadn’t come out yet so the market hadn’t been depressed on top of BRP lowering the cost of the RTL this year. So not a great deal but a fair one for me. For the miles on the one you are looking at plus the out the door price I think that’s pretty decent.

In addition to what everyone else has suggested call a dealer and have them run the VIN for maintenance records. Also if it’s the BRP BEST warranty there is no transfer cost.

Good luck I hope it works out!
    X 2 on checking the history through the VIN. Also looks like a good deal to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

RPM One is an aftermarket warranty company that has 2 and 1/4 stars out of 5 on the BBB web page. Not the best rating, so hope you have no need for it, or better results if you do.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Funny, I emailed him about that Spyder two weeks ago. Wasn't sure it was a good deal, but the Yellow is hard for me to pass up. But after seeing the pics, I'm not sure I like the color enough to make the 3-4 hour drive up there.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

The one piece of advise I can offer first time Spyder buyers is

Test ride both an RT and an F3 before you decide. Far too many new buyers assume they want the 'best top of the line model touring bike' only to find out they would have been far more comfortable riding and F3L and end up trading a year or so later.

The RT has a very large proportion of first time Spyder buyers and only a few repeat buyers these days. The F3 line is exactly the opposite, mostly repeat buyers and many of those moving from an RT. The riding positions are VERY different. Neither is wrong or 'better' but everyone is different. Make sure before you plunk down that big chunk of money.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That appears to be a pretty good deal, not great, but good. If you decide to get it, check out triangle spyders on facebook. I live in Apex, but also have a house in Roxboro, which isn't far from you. Good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white