Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Codes C0040 & C006C with Limp Home Mode - fixed!

A few weeks ago the wife and I were on our annual spring trip to warmer weather, we have a 2015 Spyder RT Limited, we trailer it from South of Indy to Brunswick GA, we spend two weeks riding and enjoying the sights and weather. It was Thursday of the lass week of our trip, we headed down to Saint Augustine had lunch and enjoyed the sights, we headed back to Brunswick, about 40 miles from Brunswick we were getting low on fuel, stopped and filled up, got back on the interstate, set the cruise and headed to our B & B, was riding along and the bike jumped out of cruise and started to slow down, also the check engine light came on, I grabbed the throttle and got the bike back up to speed, check engine light went out and everything seemed normal, set speed control again and cruised in to Brunswick. We stopped at a sub place to get a bit, came out stuck the key in the ignition, turn the key and noticed that I had no light or movement from the dashboard, nothing, like the battery was dead, I pull the tools from under the seat, removed the battery cables, didn’t notice anything unusual, put the battery cables back on tightly, turned the key and everything look like it was supposed to, got on the bike and headed to our B&B, about 2 miles from our destination the check engine light and limp mode came on, we pulled up to my bike trailer wife got off and I put it up for the night. The next day I pulled the battery cables off again cleaned up cables and post, they weren’t really dirty, put the cables back on the battery, tightened the cables, road down the road for a few miles no faults, everything looked good, turned around when back to the trailer, just as I was pulling it back on check engine light and limp mode came back on. I told the wife I didn’t trust riding it anywhere so I tied it down and got it ready for the trip home.

After being home for a few days I decided to figure out what was going on with the RT, I got the error codes, it had two of them, C0040 and C006C:
    C0040 module:VCM
    Brake pedal switch failure (BLS).
    Mechanical defect or wrong mounting of BLS.
    Brake Light circuit open or defective brake light bulbs.
    Check BLS (brake light switch) fault on ECM .
    Check brake light bulbs.
    Check BLS.

C006C module:ECM
    VSS CAN (control area network) rate message error.
    Communication on CAN BUS not reliable.
    No external troubleshooting possible.

Well I went back to the bike and check the bake lights, had none, no tail lights, no emergency lights, so I thought it’s time to take it to a shop, I have 5 year warranty, one more thing, I pulled the fuse cover off and checked the fuses for brake and tail lights, one was a 10 amp fuse the other was 15 amp fuse, both were blown, got two more fuses and installed, turned key on, no lights, checked fuses and both again were blown, I got to thinking what would make the fuses blow, I was at a loss, the only thing that come to mind was a modification I had done years earlier when I first got the bike, I installed a smart break light module from gear break, it installed under the seat and connects to the break light wiring harness, I decided that I would remove it because I didn’t want to take it in for warranty repair and it be the problem and I would have to pay, so I removed the module, put a new 10 & 15 amp fuse in and the bike was fine, took it for a test ride no problems.

I got to reading about the Smart break light module and noticed that it had a lifetime warranty, so I sent a email to GearBrake.com and they are replacing the unit, no charged.

Hope this will help someone in the future if they have similar issues
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2021 at 05:55 AM. Reason: 2015 RT
    2015 RT L , Red