Thread: Normal for CVT?

Spyder Garage

Default Normal for CVT?

Hi Guys, just received mine and its a blast. Just wondering, when you let go of the throttle is it supposed to slow down by itself without pressing on the brake? Hard to explain, maybe i just need to get used to it.

Thank you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, normal. cueman

Spyder Garage

(first time riding) I thought the same thing, my foot is on the brake, look down, it's not on the brake, give it gas, let go, seems like brake is on, look again, foot is not on the brake!

To circumvent this, I now adjust my brake angle below the peg, then I can have my foot anywhere on the peg and not hit the brake pedal until I intentionally move my foot forward and down to hit the brake. It works good for me as a solution with zero feeling in my feet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its normal for a BRP CVT product. Other manufactures (Polaris for example) that use a CVT of this type do not have the auto brake "feature" when you let off the gas. I find the feature to be both good and bad. Sometimes I find it helpful and other times I wish it didn't work this way. There is no "free wheel" feature with this setup. If you want to increase or maintain a certain speed you always have to be on the throttle, otherwise the bike is slowing down at a more rapid rate than it normally would.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys! perfect explanation. I'm going to adjust the brake a bit lower so I don't get a cramped ankle.

edit: anyone have the foam throttle grips? do they help with the throttle?

Spyder Garage

Not the transmission. It is the engine compression effectively causing braking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
    Thanks guys! perfect explanation. I'm going to adjust the brake a bit lower so I don't get a cramped ankle.

edit: anyone have the foam throttle grips? do they help with the throttle?
    I just put on grip puppies foam grips and they are a Big help- Just use Dish soap and water or alcohol- No compressor needed!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Typical scooter effect. First time riders maybe or just not up to speed on how things work!