Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frightening

Spyder Garage

Yes, that's what Jim P in NSW did too - be rid of it. Dealer & BRP will say 'never heard of that before' which is a different take on 'they all do that.' Ride safe.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Yes, that's what Jim P in NSW did too - be rid of it. Dealer & BRP will say 'never heard of that before' which is a different take on 'they all do that.' Ride safe.
    I'm hoping for a positive outcome. BUDS surely will define what caused the lockup. If not......Treva.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    He was not in his comfort zone. Leading some slow ryders and ryding double with some hairpin curves. I hate leading slow ryders. You spend more time looking back than just ryding.
    I elected to lead knowing full well there will be slow riders. Every one has their pace. That situation does not bother me one iota. Riding 2up with ''hairpin curves'' when you know what you are doing, is something that puts me in my comfort zone....Treva.

Spyder Garage

Buds will show something only if it displayed a fault on the dash I believe. It did not, did it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by treva View Post
    I elected to lead knowing full well there will be slow riders. Every one has their pace. That situation does not bother me one iota.

Well it SHOULD.
    And with that attitude, you should NOT be leading any group rides with "slower" or unknown riders in it.
    Seriously.

Spyder Garage

Is disconnecting the PB mechanically a solution albeit a band aid? This whole scenario makes e nervous being a new Spyder owner. Are there other reports of occurrence?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quite a few failures of the PB.....but scant few of them locking up while moving.....thankfully.

Spyder Garage

Which brake is activated with the PB switch...I was assuming the rear only?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Buds will show something only if it displayed a fault on the dash I believe. It did not, did it?

With what happened at the time, I honestly didn't look to see if there was a code. A bit further on from the l/up, I did look, & no code. .Treva

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    Yes Thopper that's correct...Treva

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Well it SHOULD.
    And with that attitude, you should NOT be leading any group rides with "slower" or unknown riders in it.
    Seriously.
    What I meant was if the gap is widening I'm only too happy to wait for them. That's all part of leading....Treva.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hope you get the cause identified and fixed.

Can't help but make one comment though:

The leader of a group ride NEEDS to adjust his speed to accommodate the average skill level of the rest of the group.

IF you find that you are repeatedly getting too far out in front, you NEED to slow down a bit.

(Of course that has nothing to do with the problem that you had.)
    Completely irrelevant response to the OP's concern.And, considerably biased. Not all agree about group riding protocols, which were designed for 2-wheelers, in my not so humble opinion.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

With what happened at the time, I honestly didn't look to see if there was a code. A bit further on from the l/up, I did look, & no code. .Treva

Can't blame you for that!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Completely irrelevant response to the OP's concern.And, considerably biased. Not all agree about group riding protocols, which were designed for 2-wheelers, in my not so humble opinion.
    Well said UP...Treva

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    It is the rear only......but not with the actual brake hardware.
    LOOK at the rear disc and see the notches where the parking pawl engages.

Once you see that.......the whole thing becomes a bit MORE worrysome; at least it did for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Just can't pass up an opportunity to throw a rock......can you ??
    It was not ME that introduced group riding into the thread.

Groups like the AMA and MSF pretty much agree on good group riding practices......and I don't care if your opinion is different.

Spyder Garage

C'mon you two, & by that 'you two' I mean UtahPete & Easy Rider - If you aren't going to contribute anything beneficial to the topic or you just can't post politely, then it's a whole lot better for either/both of you not to post at all!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I don't give **** about rider protocol ....I care about my safety...is thing safe????

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is the rear only......but not with the actual brake hardware.
    LOOK at the rear disc and see the notches where the parking pawl engages.

Once you see that.......the whole thing becomes a bit MORE worrysome; at least it did for me.
    Which year and model are you referring to? On my 2014 RTS the parking brake is part of the brake components inside the brake cylinder. The PB motor pulls on the cable that turns the PB lever a few degrees. The lever is connected to a screw inside the cylinder and pushes the piston against the brake rotor. If the cable is loose, or the PB motor is weak or doesn't turn as far as it should the pressure against the rotor won't be enough to keep the wheel from turning.

You sure the notches you're looking aren't the ones for the wheel sensor?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Took bike to dealer today & witnessed with the tech via BUDS the fault codes. There are quite a few ranging from VCM voltage failure/voltage spike, DPS invalid or missing vehicle speed, ECM gear position sensor angle, & more. I asked if all these faults occurred all at once & caused the lock up, or if some of the codes happened some time ago. His BUDS will only register time & date if it's looked at within approx 1 day of a code initiation so he didn't know. The dealer will send the info to BRP for them to access. I rode the bike to & from the dealer & it performed flawlessly. On saying that, leading up to & riding through every corner, I never felt at ease. I'm confident the problem will be found & sorted. I hope I don't end up eating those words. I'll post when I know more...Treva.

Spyder Garage

Wow! That's surprising. It'll be even more surprising if you can get an answer you can believe.

Spyder Garage

Ahh, got to stay positive....Treva

Spyder Garage

What are you talking about? The parking brake squeezes the same pads as the service brakes. There is no pawl that engages notches in the brake disk.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Took bike to dealer today & witnessed with the tech via BUDS the fault codes. There are quite a few ranging from VCM voltage failure/voltage spike, DPS invalid or missing vehicle speed, ECM gear position sensor angle, & more. I asked if all these faults occurred all at once & caused the lock up, or if some of the codes happened some time ago. His BUDS will only register time & date if it's looked at within approx 1 day of a code initiation so he didn't know. The dealer will send the info to BRP for them to access. I rode the bike to & from the dealer & it performed flawlessly. On saying that, leading up to & riding through every corner, I never felt at ease. I'm confident the problem will be found & sorted. I hope I don't end up eating those words. I'll post when I know more...Treva.
    Two minor points that might help. First is the faults page in BUDS does indeed store the time each event occurs and it can be displayed until they are removed. Except they are expressed in engine hours, not date and time.

Second if that group of faults has all happened in a few hours run time, I would highly suspect a voltage issue. Start with carefully checking the battery connections, the ground cable both ends and then the fuse box. Have seen many fuse boxes get corrosion in the fuse holders. Pull each fuse and clean them, reinsert. If there is visible rust on the terminals in the box, it got water in there and is too far gone. Replacement time. All those sensors and especially the DPS do not all go bad at the same time. DPS is heavy power user, especially when you were turning and could easily be the trigger point for a low voltage event. Check the battery condition as well.

Good luck in finding the issue.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    What are you talking about? The parking brake squeezes the same pads as the service brakes. There is no pawl that engages notches in the brake disk.

Agreed. The best substitute for brains is....................Silence!