Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frightening

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Frightening

Wife [pillion] & myself went on our first club ride last saturday on our 2017 RT. After some debate the usual leader didn't want to, so I elected to lead. Quite a slow bunch of riders [although heaps of corners ]& we were slowing to snail pace a lot waiting for them to catch up. Most of the time we were on the speed limit. I don't use the brakes until it's really necessary on roads/corners i know well. I just let the tyres wash off speed in a lot of corners, something I've always done since my racing days. I felt the nanny a few times letting me know she was there, but that's nothing unusual. I've always though the seat detection switch was sensitive. We were really enjoying the ride until half way through a sharp blind corner on a road I know very well & braked accordingly before the corner, the rear wheel locks up & sends us sliding sideways for a few metres & stopping just short of a embankment on our side of the road. I headbutted the steering shattering my visor, & my wife was almost thrown off. Two spyders following managed to swerve around us. I quickly reversed & put a little distance between us & the following riders & pulled over to check out ourselves & the bike. All good, especially my wife although somewhat very confused & frightened. I waved the following riders through & continued on to our destination albeit at very reduced speed. We spoke via our intercoms, my wife & myself wondering what the hell that was all about. I really couldn't workout why the nanny locked up the rear wheel.
    I really need an answer as my wife as well as myself are a little hesitant going for another ride on this bike. Does anyone know why the nanny [ If it was the nanny ] locked up the rear wheel. As i have said previously, I did everything correctly leading up to this corner, & should have had no input from the electronics. I have since immobilised the passenger detection switch.
    Appreciate all input... Treva.

Spyder Garage

With ABS there shouldn’t have a lock up, it wasn’t nanny. glad it wasn’t worse.
    Suggest visit a dealer & see what buds has recorded.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Not good. And definitely not a correctly working Nanny (if that is what created the issue). The Nanny, at her most abrupt interaction would never lock up a wheel. She may be a huge annoyance. But never a hazard in this manner. She is much less aggressive on the redesigned 2013+ models than she was on the earlier Spyders.

I agree with Bfromla. Something is definitely wrong if you are sure it wasn't something you did. Even you should not be able to lock up a wheel for more than a split second. Though it is possible to slide a Spyder under the right conditions. It should not be possible to lock up a wheel.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Not the first - see complaint no. 12

http://www.spyderryders.net.au/forum...hp?topic=543.0
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Not the first - see complaint no. 12

http://www.spyderryders.net.au/forum...hp?topic=543.0
    This link references a totally unrelated issue (though brake related). Warped rotors on the F3's are not all that uncommon. I hope that poor guy went with EBC rotors & pads. Much less expensive and bullet proof as far as my experience has been. (Stop better too!).

He'll be right back where he started in a few months if he put OEM parts back on.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This link references a totally unrelated issue (though brake related). Warped rotors on the F3's are not all that uncommon. I hope that poor guy went with EBC rotors & pads. Much less expensive and bullet proof as far as my experience has been. (Stop better too!).

He'll be right back where he started in a few months if he put OEM parts back on.
    I thought he was riding an RT. Do they also have a problem with warped rear rotors Ron?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have deleted my reply as I had forgotten about the Vehicle Stability Control which can apply any of the brakes if it intervenes

Sorry about that
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

All,

Several excerpts from my 2018 RT service manual. Darned .pdf viewer won't allow me to copy and paste, but here goes.

SCS (Stability Control System)- (Big Snip)-" It applies braking power to the appropriate wheel" Direct quote from page 545 or page 1 of the vehicle stability systems section.

Another- "It can, as needed, prevent the front wheel from lifting by applying the brake on the opposite side". Same section.

More- VCM- (Vehicle control module) "heart of the vehicle stability system (VSS) and contains 2 microprocessors, 2 hydraulic pumps, several solenoids, and passageways to the brake calipers".

This bike can indeed apply brake pressure to any brake. You are riding with the algorithm. I'd be mighty interested in what BRP finds on this one.

When I was in industry I used to teach the younger folks about machines, electrics, whatever they were learning. Very common question I asked was "How many types of light bulbs are there?" Answers ranged from CFL, incandescent, LED, etc. Good answers, to be honest. But I always told them there were 2. Those that had already failed, and those that were going to fail in the future. With these bikes being so complex using automation to run everything, it is not unreasonable that something as simple as a switch with a faulty contact or some other such item introduced a large offset to the PID loop controlling the braking/stability system and possibly made an overly large adjustment. In industry, I've never seen an automation startup of great complexity come on-line without unforeseen bugs. Can you say 737 MAX?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hope you get the cause identified and fixed.

Can't help but make one comment though:

The leader of a group ride NEEDS to adjust his speed to accommodate the average skill level of the rest of the group.

IF you find that you are repeatedly getting too far out in front, you NEED to slow down a bit.

(Of course that has nothing to do with the problem that you had.)

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

Glad you are both alright and the group made it around the incedent... Worth having it checked out and registered with BRP as the ABS is designed to keep the wheels from locking up and sending the vehicle into an uncontroled skid. If any of the wheels sensors were off you would get a warning alerting you to the problem. Let us know what you find out..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Hope you get the cause identified and fixed.

Can't help but make one comment though:

The leader of a group ride NEEDS to adjust his speed to accommodate the average skill level of the rest of the group.

IF you find that you are repeatedly getting too far out in front, you NEED to slow down a bit.

(Of course that has nothing to do with the problem that you had.)
    Completely irrelevant response to the OP's concern.And, considerably biased. Not all agree about group riding protocols, which were designed for 2-wheelers, in my not so humble opinion.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Completely irrelevant response to the OP's concern.And, considerably biased. Not all agree about group riding protocols, which were designed for 2-wheelers, in my not so humble opinion.
    Well said UP...Treva

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Just can't pass up an opportunity to throw a rock......can you ??
    It was not ME that introduced group riding into the thread.

Groups like the AMA and MSF pretty much agree on good group riding practices......and I don't care if your opinion is different.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is scary and I hope you get it fixed. As far as leading a group I never go more than the speed limit and usually a little below. Aggressive cornering (nanny kicking in) when leading a group is NOT the way to go if you want the group to stay together. You need a mindset of not being in a hurry because other people don't ride as fast as others in the corners. If you lead again take it easy.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I am just going to watch and let those who have information concerning the lock up go on.

The term "nanny" kicking in a few times...made me think you may have been going to fast for the circumstances...but I will not change the subject matter of the OP.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I am just going to watch and let those who have information concerning the lock up go on.

The term "nanny" kicking in a few times...made me think you may have been going to fast for the circumstances...but I will not change the subject matter of the OP.
    ....." Too fast for the circumstances " ..... I beg to differ ... I think " Too fast for the NANNY " .... The Spyder holds the road very well ( imho ) .... Too well for the VSS settings ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....." Too fast for the circumstances " ..... I beg to differ ... I think " Too fast for the NANNY " .... The Spyder holds the road very well ( imho ) .... Too well for the VSS settings ..... Mike
    He was not in his comfort zone. Leading some slow ryders and ryding double with some hairpin curves. I hate leading slow ryders. You spend more time looking back than just ryding.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    He was not in his comfort zone. Leading some slow ryders and ryding double with some hairpin curves. I hate leading slow ryders. You spend more time looking back than just ryding.
    I elected to lead knowing full well there will be slow riders. Every one has their pace. That situation does not bother me one iota. Riding 2up with ''hairpin curves'' when you know what you are doing, is something that puts me in my comfort zone....Treva.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by treva View Post
    I elected to lead knowing full well there will be slow riders. Every one has their pace. That situation does not bother me one iota.

Well it SHOULD.
    And with that attitude, you should NOT be leading any group rides with "slower" or unknown riders in it.
    Seriously.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Couldn't agree more Mike. Like I said before, I know the road very well & with my wife on board I would never put her/us in a dangerous situation. Yes, I ride faster than the average person, time & place permitting, but one can do that when you know how. If the dealer doesn't find the cause of the lockup, the bike will be sold, as we will have no trust in it....Treva

Spyder Garage

Scary..... Faulty parking brake.....? I know they are not supposed to activate above just a few MPHs. But, if it is faulty.....? Can't think of anything else that would lock-up the rear wheel independently of the front brakes. I hope a resolution is quickly found and shared with us..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the replies. I've been mulling it over for a couple of days & one thing i do know the passenger detection switch is very sensitive. I'm pretty sure it initiated the lock up. I'm ringing the dealer today. I'll let you know what/if they find. Thanks again...Treva

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by treva View Post
    Wife [pillion] & myself went on our first club ride last saturday on our 2017 RT. After some debate the usual leader didn't want to, so I elected to lead. Quite a slow bunch of riders [although heaps of corners ]& we were slowing to snail pace a lot waiting for them to catch up. Most of the time we were on the speed limit. I don't use the brakes until it's really necessary on roads/corners i know well. I just let the tyres wash off speed in a lot of corners, something I've always done since my racing days. I felt the nanny a few times letting me know she was there, but that's nothing unusual. I've always though the seat detection switch was sensitive. We were really enjoying the ride until half way through a sharp blind corner on a road I know very well & braked accordingly before the corner, the rear wheel locks up & sends us sliding sideways for a few metres & stopping just short of a embankment on our side of the road. I headbutted the steering shattering my visor, & my wife was almost thrown off. Two spyders following managed to swerve around us. I quickly reversed & put a little distance between us & the following riders & pulled over to check out ourselves & the bike. All good, especially my wife although somewhat very confused & frightened. I waved the following riders through & continued on to our destination albeit at very reduced speed. We spoke via our intercoms, my wife & myself wondering what the hell that was all about. I really couldn't workout why the nanny locked up the rear wheel.
    I really need an answer as my wife as well as myself are a little hesitant going for another ride on this bike. Does anyone know why the nanny [ If it was the nanny ] locked up the rear wheel. As i have said previously, I did everything correctly leading up to this corner, & should have had no input from the electronics. I have since immobilised the passenger detection switch.
    Appreciate all input... Treva.

Hey Treva,

Thanks for reaching out.

We are very sorry to hear that this has happened to your wife and words cannot express just how happy we are that nobody was hurt.

At this time, we urge you to reach out to your local BRP Certified dealership to have them take a look at your unit to diagnose any technical related concerns that may be underlying. We want to ensure your safety and this certainly doesn't sound right to us.

If you require any further assistance, or have any other comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via email at brp.care@brp.com.

Kindest Regards,

David-BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hey Treva,

Thanks for reaching out.

We are very sorry to hear that this has happened to your wife and words cannot express just how happy we are that nobody was hurt.

At this time, we urge you to reach out to your local BRP Certified dealership to have them take a look at your unit to diagnose any technical related concerns that may be underlying. We want to ensure your safety and this certainly doesn't sound right to us.

If you require any further assistance, or have any other comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via email at brp.care@brp.com.

Kindest Regards,

David-BRPcare
    Hello David, Thanks for your feedback & concern. I do hope the dealer can find & rectify the problem....Treva.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Treva, even though your Spyder is fairly new, did you by chance flush the braking system, or get air into it, and not have the dealer reset the ABS using BUSs?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)