Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2019 RT-L with Garmin 590 Nav. No nav audio through speakers.

First post. Just purchased 2019 RT Limited with dealer installed Zumo 590 Navigation. The GPS powers up when I turn the key and it shows maps etc as expected. However, there is no integration with the spyder's speakers. No audio prompts for navigation. If I tap "Volume" on the Zumo screen it says “Audio requires a headset or a powered mount with a speaker”. It's on a powered mount with speakers in the spyder. This should work.

Does the 2019 spyder not support nav audio integration? Hard to believe considering what I paid for this nav unit and ... it's 2019. This is not rocket science. I have looked through the spyder menus and don't see anything about navigation volume. Nothing in the owner's manual either. If this SHOULD work would someone please let me know and I will contact the dealer to fix it.

If this is not supported on the new spyders then that should be made known to potential buyers so that they don't spend a bunch of money on a lame GPS system. I could have just mounted my phone and used Google maps.
    2022 RT-L , Carbon Black - Chrome Trim

Spyder Garage

I think I read a previous post that stated the GPS has its “own” separate volume slider within the settings. See if you can dig a little deeper into the menu tree and see if this works. I think the post said by default the slider in question is set pretty low. Also I’d also verify your spyder has the new firmware. Also saw a few posts that states there’s some changes.

Hope that helps

Spyder Garage

SpyderFlyer76 is correct. Call Garmin OEM Product Support, 855-607-2536, and a technician should be able to walk you through the process. I do recall seeing in my 590 instructions that it could not be used in an automobile without a separate audio receiver system, like headphones, but don't know if that applies to a 2019 Spyder. FWIW there are a lot of things you can do with the 590 that do not appear in the user manual.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I bought a Garmin 595 for my F3-S several years ago. I had instructions from the Garmin manual on how to hear audio thru my Sena headset. Those instructions didn’t work so I went to the Sena manual to look up how to get audio. By following the Sena manual I was able to get audio. The point is that you have instructions for the Spyder and instructions for the Garmin. You will have to fiddle with both to see what works.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. I can't get into the volume menu on the Zumo because of the “Audio requires a headset or a powered mount with a speaker” screen. There is no where to go from there. The unit doesn't think it is connected to anything so no audio control at all.

I don't have bluetooth helmet headphones so I can't try that method for audio. I just want to hear prompts through the spyder speakers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need to be putting pressure on your DEALER and/or BRP because I think it is highly likely that you paid them to install something that will be NON-FUNCTIONAL.

Now....it might work, sort of, if they had put it on a car mount instead of the Spyder mount because the car mount has it's own little speaker.
    But you might not be able to hear that either if you wear a helmet.......or go faster than 30 MPH or so.

If I were you, I would demand a refund and insist that they remove it if they can't get it to work.
    Did they give you the "car mount" with the suction cup ?
    They should have. That comes with the 590.

Spyder Garage

The 590 did come with a car mount that has a little speaker in it. I plugged it into my car and the audio worked perfectly through the little speaker. So, the problem is the Spyder. I will contact the dealer.

Spyder Garage

The 2018 and 19 models do not allow for separate GPS audio integration into the onboard audio. Just dedicated power. It was designed with the idea that gps was going to be from your phone and that can be integrated.

The dealer should have explained that to you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The dealer is now telling me that they will need to run a new wire to the GPS harness and connect to the Aux input on the spyder. So I would not get FM or any other audio if I want to hear the navigation prompts. This is not good.

Spyder Garage

I believe what the dealer is telling you is correct, and agree completely that would be "not good". You would have Aux only, but could load MPs or maybe SIRIUS Radio (not sure if that Garmin supports SIRIUS), but nothing else when getting voice prompts. It would not have been hard for Can Am to include GPS interrupts as on 2017s and earlier, but they wanted to push towards the dash approach.

The best options might be to 1) Return the GPS and go with either Sygic or Genuis through BRP Connect or 2) use a headset, which allows a primary audio stream to be "interrupted" by GPS Nav instructions. I've grown to love headsets, as they provide flexibility and are easier for my old ears to hear.

I would share your frustrations, the only good news is that 20.8 does appear to finally work, so using Sygic or Genuis is a real option.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The dealer is correct and that is one option. You can still have tunes that too by having the gps act as a mp3 player. As McClendons said you can pair the gps with a wireless headset if you have one. If you have a smart phone and pay for the compatible gps app. Then you can use the dash as it was intended and the gps will appear on your Spyders screen and the audio out the Spyder speakers.

Ontario is a big place. Which dealer did you buy from?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The Garmin 590 has an 3.5mm audio plug on the wiring harness, which you could interface in the frunk (not sure how your dealer routed the cabling and wired it up for power). However, you can also interface the Garmin 590 via Bluetooth to the bike. My phone interfaces to our 2018 via bluetooth. Granted, I have to plug it in via USB in the frunk to get BRP connect and get maps via the dashboard. Your 2019 has the same capability. We use Bluetooth headsets that connect intercom, phones, and bike. Great option if you want to go that route. Otherwise, you will want to play with the bluetooth settings to connect Garmin to the Bike. I have a 590 on my other bike and will play around with the connection to see if I can provide any additional insight on the connection process and what features are available via this route.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post

The best options might be to 1) Return the GPS and go with either Sygic or Genuis through BRP Connect or 2) use a headset, which allows a primary audio stream to be "interrupted" by GPS Nav instructions. I've grown to love headsets, as they provide flexibility and are easier for my old ears to hear.
    If I keep the GPS (I don't even know if it is returnable) and get a helmet headset how would option 2 work? If I'm connected via bluetooth to the spyder how would the GPS interrupt?

Spyder Garage

The bluetooth uses priority system. On my Cardo Packtalk headsets it prioritizes phones, GPS, intercom, music and it will interrupt in this order as signals come through. if you are playing the radio from the Spyder through your headset, then when the GPS speaks directions, it will play the GPS directions through the headset and then return to the music.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy1 View Post
    However, you can also interface the Garmin 590 via Bluetooth to the bike. You will want to play with the bluetooth settings to connect Garmin to the Bike. I have a 590 on my other bike and will play around with the connection to see if I can provide any additional insight on the connection process and what features are available via this route.
    I will try that. I didn't know I could bluetooth the Garmin to the bike.

Spyder Garage

The bike has 2 bluetooth connections, a phone and a headset (actually 2 headsets...). Most headset have 2 "phone" connections. For a Sena, you use "Phone 1" to connect to the bike, then "phone 2" to the GPS. Anything that comes across phone 2 when set as GPS will interupt the headset (mute or lower music), then give voice prompts. As soon as prompts are done, the music comes back. Works very well with most headsets. Senas are very popular, I jut switch from Sena to a Cardo Pactalk Bold. If you just want basic sound with voice prompts, the Sena 10 Series is reliable. As you go up in price, more features and better sound quality.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy1 View Post
    The bluetooth uses priority system. On my Cardo Packtalk headsets it prioritizes phones, GPS, intercom, music and it will interrupt in this order as signals come through. if you are playing the radio from the Spyder through your headset, then when the GPS speaks directions, it will play the GPS directions through the headset and then return to the music.
    But the GPS audio is not connected to the Spyder at this point.

Spyder Garage

The 590 and 595 IMO are the best GPS for the motorcycle. They serve as a media hub as well and you can connect your phone directly to the unit so you can dial (when stopped of course) and have GPS directions when out of cell or intermittent cell range. Though I did find that 95% of the time I am in cell coverage and used Wayze to route through traffic so the 590 has gotten less and less use. It is very glove and user friendly though so it still has a place on my dashboard.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

Ontario is a big place. Which dealer did you buy from?
    Lockhart's Odyssey. They have been great but they didn't know about this issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingManDan View Post
    I will try that. I didn't know I could bluetooth the Garmin to the bike.
    I believe the challenge will be that the bike will stream Bluetooth, but you will have the same challenges as aux ---you would have to have the bluettoth selected for audio output, so only would work if playing mp3s from the Garmin. Also, not positive the Garmin will pair, there are multiple pairing profiles and think the bike will look for a phone (headsets use phone mode) --- worth try though
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

When using "Genius" are you using cell data after the maps are loaded (purchased)?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    When using "Genius" are you using cell data after the maps are loaded (purchased)?
    No data used. Maps are preloaded onto your phone.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingManDan View Post
    Lockhart's Odyssey. They have been great but they didn't know about this issue.
    I bought my 18 from them. They will treat you alright.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    No data used. Maps are preloaded onto your phone.
    So I can put genius on a non cell iPad and connect via the drink?
    Also can on purchase and load genius on multiple devices?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    So I can put genius on a non cell iPad and connect via the drink?
    Also can on purchase and load genius on multiple devices?
    Yes you can put Genius Maps on a non cell ipad and it will function as gps just fine. As long as that tablet has a gps chip. Won't work with BRP Connect because that app cannot be loaded on a tablet.
    Yes Genius maps can be put on multiple devices as long as they are on the same user account.

Google Maps can also be run from a non cell tablet and as long as you download a big enough map while still connected to wifi. That can take a few minutes and the map is good for 1 month. It's free.

PS I am assuming that istuff works like android stuff in my answers above.

2018 F3 LIMITED