Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why Does My Heart Rate Go So High Riding - UPDATE - solved!

I have a Garmin 235 activity 24/7 monitoring watch. My normal RHR (resting heart rate) is in the 60s. But when I am riding the Ryker, it goes way HIGH!!!

Today I went for a leisurely 1/2 hour ride around the area, but my HR went as high as 156!!!

Anyone else notice this curiosity?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2019 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Merged to include result

Spyder Garage

Not surprised - I am always on "high alert" when riding and I am sure this affects my heart rate.

Spyder Garage

I,m 70 and have a 62 resting pulse and when riding I rarely even breath so its probably lower. Riding relaxes my mind and spirit?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I checked my HR in the middle of having gold markers installed in my prostate (not a bit fun!), and it was steady as a rock low. I was surprised, as it was quite stressful.

Spyder Garage

Thats why you ride. Riding increases heart rate. Unless you are a long time rider. It is called thrill and fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beaudog View Post
    Thats why you ride. Riding increases heart rate. Unless you are a long time rider. It is called thrill and fun.
    I am a long time rider. That's why it makes no sense.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I never thought to check my heart rate, but I am definitely going to check it now. I normally have a resting heart rate of 53-55.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I think the reading is wrong. I have a Garmin Fenix 5 that I wear all the time. If I train, I wear a chest strap. Been wearing those since 1988. I know and understand my HR. I'm 65 and my resting is 48. It usually takes me 10 minutes on a bicycle ride to get it past 110. I find cold and sweat will alter the reading, sometimes dramatically re past 140-150. It could be cool air or tension in your wrist due to the way you hold the handlebar. Maybe you jacket is not windproof or your cuffs are open. I would say assume the reading is wrong and try to find a reason why.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    I think the reading is wrong. I have a Garmin Fenix 5 that I wear all the time. If I train, I wear a chest strap. Been wearing those since 1988. I know and understand my HR. I'm 65 and my resting is 48. It usually takes me 10 minutes on a bicycle ride to get it past 110. I find cold and sweat will alter the reading, sometimes dramatically re past 140-150. It could be cool air or tension in your wrist due to the way you hold the handlebar. Maybe you jacket is not windproof or your cuffs are open. I would say assume the reading is wrong and try to find a reason why.
    It is reading correctly. Even when I simply get up in the morning or go to the mailbox & back it goes quite high. I've had several episodes of A-Fib, have leaky heart valves, and enlarge aorta.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    It is reading correctly. Even when I simply get up in the morning or go to the mailbox & back it goes quite high.
    That makes it sound like an issue that you should discuss with your doctor, as it seem like the Spyder may not be causing a false reading.
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

Must be the vibration of the seat
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Why compare to your (Resting heart rate)...?? you should compare it to your heart rate while on a rollercoaster.....you are not at rest while ryding....I hope....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderChris View Post
    That makes it sound like an issue that you should discuss with your doctor, as it seem like the Spyder may not be causing a false reading.
    Already did (the walking part). She (the PA) didn't believe my watch was reading accurately while even just walking.

Spyder Garage

on that note, how do you guys relax and keep the throttle steady? I find myself cramping up after 10 minutes. I'm probably squeezing too hard.

Spyder Garage

It is reading correctly. Even when I simply get up in the morning or go to the mailbox & back it goes quite high. I've had several episodes of A-Fib, have leaky heart valves, and enlarge aorta.
    + 1 on having some medical issue. I have the opposite issue re too low. Last year I had to increase my electrolyte and salt intake to elevate my HR. Do you have hypertension or white knuckle syndrome?
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

I live with chronic heart issues. My rate is mostly over 100 all the time. I recommend at least seeing a cardiologist for an evaluation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Already did (the walking part). She (the PA) didn't believe my watch was reading accurately while even just walking.
    I see a false reading on my fitness tracker also. It doesn't show up as heart rate but as additional steps. When I have ridden about an hour the tracker thinks I have walked many thousand steps.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
    on that note, how do you guys relax and keep the throttle steady? I find myself cramping up after 10 minutes. I'm probably squeezing too hard.
    I'm still waiting for my yellow Caterpillar o-rings to arrive for cruise control. Will be fine after that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    I see a false reading on my fitness tracker also. It doesn't show up as heart rate but as additional steps. When I have ridden about an hour the tracker thinks I have walked many thousand steps.
    I don't pay attention to steps whasoever. My watch shows a 4 hour history of my HR, and when connected to laptop, shows 24/7.

Spyder Garage

156 is quite high. Since you have afib it may be related to the sensor picking up the extra beats, but I would not be nonchalant about it. It's also possible that something in the bike is causing electrical interference with watch sensor.

If you don't already have one, you can pick up one of the small pulseox monitors for about 25 bucks off amazon or walmart. Besides SPO2, it will also give you your heart rate optically sensed through the blood flow through you finger. Good to have with cardiac issues. You could also try and check your rate yourself if you know how, but the meter is much easier.

An old time rider shouldn't be that nervous when riding.

2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    156 is quite high. Since you have afib

I don't have A-Fib. I HAD A-Fib in the past.

Spyder Garage

I don't have A-Fib. I HAD A-Fib in the past.
    Have/had. Whatever. Someone tries to give you some good advice and that is how you respond.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
    I set the cruise and stretch out on the foot pegs and use my wife as my backrest lol
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I live with chronic heart issues. My rate is mostly over 100 all the time. I recommend at least seeing a cardiologist for an evaluation.
    I regularly see one. What is of concern if you RHR is high. Mine is usually lower than normal. Normal range is 60-80. Mine is often in the 50s, and today it was 47!

Spyder Garage

Default Update! High Heart Rate Whilst Riding Problem SOLVED

I rode w/o my (heart monitor) watch hand on the handlebar for a while, and my HR was perfectly normal. So I can conclude that the vibration of the handlebar is causing a false reading bugaboo.