Spyder Garage

Question New (2013) Solace Camper owner, any advice?

Since 2014 we've been traveling with our trusty modded Tag-Along trailer, but there have been limitations because we didn't have the complete freedom we wanted and relied a lot on hotels, cabins, and cottages for overnight stays.
    This changes today with the purchase of a 2013 Solace camping trailer. This camper comes with upgraded stainless screws, LED lighting, window AC and all brackets, Cooler, Weatherproof Luggage Bag, Table, Air Mattress, and L-shaped Awning.
    Dry weight without the AC is around 330 lbs and reported 16-20 cubic feet of usable storage plus roof rack.

I searched the forums and found a few people that may still have one and wanted your advice and opinions for this trailer and our future travels?
    Thanks in advance.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Has everything but a bathroom.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Sorry Mark but not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. I have pulled trailers with 2 and 3 wheels both cargo and camping. May be a specific question or 2 would help get the ball rolling.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Sure pegasus.
    Since you have experience with both, any difficulties or differences towing between the camping and cargo trailers? My cargo experience has been with the tag-along and estimated max 250-300 lbs.
    Kinda curious at what point weight becomes an issue? Even close to 300 lbs we had no issues.
    Any recommendations for permanent or helpful items to store in such a small camper?
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would say just be aware of the extra weight when braking. At about 300 - 350 lbs, IMO, you can begin feeling the push of the trailer when you're braking. Brake easy and give yourself plenty of distance. Be ready to make gas stops more often. Heavy, large, non-aerodynamic trailers can really do a number on MPG. I think my trailer has been up to about 450 lbs and pulled quite nicely. BRP spec is 400 lbs max.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Always remember the weight. The power of the bike may handle it just fine but your brakes need more time to stop you and they will wear faster. If you are going to cook, look for backpack equipment to keep the weight down. I used a Svea123 from Sweden. Ran off gasoline so I would just take a little out of the tank, that way I didn't have to carry fuel. Every oz. you can save helps. I don't like aluminum cookware but I use it, because it is so light. I kept all the moto camping equipment on the trailer all the time. the only difference I noticed is that the camper was harder on mpg because it was boxier then the cargo trailer. Go out camping close by a few times, you'll see what fits your needs best. Also join the Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers. Lots of information and good people.

http://ibmc.org/

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have pulled an Aspen Sentry trailer all over the country. I have never had a problem and I am sure it is overweight with gear. I do know enough to always stay alert for issues that would cause me to brake suddenly. On one trip we were traveling one way and an approaching truck dropped its wheels off onto a new soft shoulder. The truth swerved and slid on its side right up to us but the trusty spyder Brembo brats saved us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

We have a Aspen Sentry and with all our gear it weighs in at 430 lbs. As always you need to stay alert and be prepared to react according to the situation. We both pull trailers as my wife will pull the dog trailer or the cargo trailer and that can lighten the load for the Aspen. In three weeks we start on a 2 1/2 month Coast to Coast to Coast ride that should cover nearly 10,000 miles.Take your camper out on some weekend trips and that can help you dial in your gear.
    campsite.jpgJackson Hole.jpgIMG_2038.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant