Thread: What to buy

Spyder Garage

Default What to buy

Hello everyone. Great site as I have been lurking since the beginning. I have a motorcycle background. I have test driven the 600 and Rally. I will definately be purchasing either the 900 base or Rally. I have read every post a 100 times and know there are lots of variables and personal preferences. First off, I always analyze things to death and research lots (just.the way I am). Looking for some insight on the following:
    1. Like many, I like the base wheels over the Rally.
    2. Price point with the options I would want on the base put both models in the same range.
    3. I will not ride offroad....have fourwheelers for that.
    Questions:
    1. For purely onroad riding somewhat aggressive, will the base model tires grip better then the Rally dual purpose tires?
    2. For onroad, willI notice that much of a difference between the base shocks and the upgraded rally shocks?
    3. Is rally mode faster than the base model sport mode or does it just affect traction control kick in timing?
    4. Anyone with the base model wish they had a little more ground clearance with their feet?
    5. Do you think someone will come out with a better on road tire for the Rally?

I know there can be lots of different opinions and nobody is right or wrong. I am just looking for a little more guidance to put my OCD reviewing at ease before I go pick one up. Those of you that comment on how fun Rykers are are so right. Thank you, Steve

Spyder Garage

The base model real wheel will grip better than "deluxe" model, as it is skinnier, especially preventing hydroplaning on wet roads.

Spyder Garage

You have asked some very good questions as well as done some good digging on your own.

I know a lot about Spyders...but my current Ryker experience is just from reading. I will leave the questions to the "experts."

Keep us posted and post some pictures when you buy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

if you do ANY two track, like cemetary roads etc. you will be glad any extra ground clearance you can get.
    I'd be surprised if the dealer wouldn't give you the base wheels in exchange for the rally's
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

You might want to test drive an F3 as there are Many low mileage ones out there for almost the same as a Rally? I was selling mine for 10,500 before I test drove the Ryker and then decided to keep both because the Ryker will never replace my F3.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smeyer View Post
    Hello everyone. Great site as I have been lurking since the beginning. I have a motorcycle background. I have test driven the 600 and Rally. I will definately be purchasing either the 900 base or Rally. I have read every post a 100 times and know there are lots of variables and personal preferences. First off, I always analyze things to death and research lots (just.the way I am). Looking for some insight on the following:
    1. Like many, I like the base wheels over the Rally.
    2. Price point with the options I would want on the base put both models in the same range.
    3. I will not ride offroad....have fourwheelers for that.
    Questions:
    1. For purely onroad riding somewhat aggressive, will the base model tires grip better then the Rally dual purpose tires?
    2. For onroad, willI notice that much of a difference between the base shocks and the upgraded rally shocks?
    3. Is rally mode faster than the base model sport mode or does it just affect traction control kick in timing?
    4. Anyone with the base model wish they had a little more ground clearance with their feet?

I know there can be lots of different opinions and nobody is right or wrong. I am just looking for a little more guidance to put my OCD reviewing at ease before I go pick one up. Those of you that comment on how fun Rykers are are so right. Thank you, Steve
    I own a Rally. I'm reading feedback that 600/900 ACE rear tire seems easy to spin vs Rally. I would assume Rally will hold better due to the more aggressive tread. My Rally came with a sway bar. I'm not sure if sway bar stock on Rally or not?
    Yes.
    Yes and Yes
    Own Rally can't answer, I wished it had more clearance yes.
    Yes.

There is plethora of discussion on aftermarket Spyder tires on this site.

Spyder Garage

As you I have researched to death and test rode. The Base 900 doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't like things on the Base that other's do. Like the wheels. Purely preference. But when you compare the 900 and the Rally hands down the Rally is the better deal so that's what I ordered. The shocks alone are worth the extra $1k

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate the Rally wheels but I bought one anyway.......why......because its a better value than the base 900. You can't put the same options the Rally comes with on the base model for the same price. Adding the Fox shocks alone to the base model (which would be a must) would cost $1700 alone.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone. The Rally does seem like the best deal overall. I just need to go buy it now. I will add the swaybar or wait for baja's aftermarket one. When I was test driving one I felt like a little kid driving something illegal on the road......it felt AWESOME!

Spyder Garage

as a (EX)"biker". I would add following

1., the Sway-bar
    2.; stronger shock on the back (I have the FOX but you could also order the stronger spring)
    3., my dealer changed the rear tire to a Toyo T1R - much better grip & better in the rain
    4., no idea how to get more ground clearance - but if the shock is "stronger" you should not have a real problem
    more than 2.000 miles on my 900 Std now & very happy with it !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone. The Rally does seem like the best deal overall. I just need to go buy it now. I will add the swaybar or wait for baja's aftermarket one. When I was test driving one I felt like a little kid driving something illegal on the road......it felt AWESOME!
    I was in the same boat as you and ended up opting for the Rally because everything I was going to have to add to the base 900 was already on the Rally. I'm also waiting for Baja rons sway bar to come out as well as many other aftermarket parts.

I would like to see more windshield options, driver backrest, and saddlebags (not the one sided style like BRPs).

Spyder Garage

Thanks Chris56 and Markubis. Good information. I will be stopping by the dealer again tonight. I might as well work there. I bet they cringe when I walk in and kick tires. O'well, like many of you, I work hard for my money and never splurge. However, life is too short and the Ryker is just too cool. I must get one. Have a great Monday everyone.

Spyder Garage

I feel the 900 STD has very soft stock suspension for a big guy, I'm 6' 240 and the suspension just seems to collapse when I get on one. The Rally I test rode had the rear shock on position 2 and it seemed perfect for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    as a (EX)"biker". I would add following

1., the Sway-bar
    2.; stronger shock on the back (I have the FOX but you could also order the stronger spring)
    3., my dealer changed the rear tire to a Toyo T1R - much better grip & better in the rain
    4., no idea how to get more ground clearance - but if the shock is "stronger" you should not have a real problem
    more than 2.000 miles on my 900 Std now & very happy with it !!
    Can't the rear FOX spring be adjusted?

Spyder Garage

I will point out that the Rally has KYB shocks, not the same as the accessory Fox shocks.
    May be similar quality, I can't say.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    I will point out that the Rally has KYB shocks, not the same as the accessory Fox shocks.
    May be similar quality, I can't say.
    Yes, you are correct. I'm not sure how the KYB's compare to the Fox but based on my spyder experience the stock sachs shocks are garbage. For me that means if you buy the the base 900 The Fox upgrade is a must from day one. The KYB's on the rally seem fine. Better than the sachs.

Spyder Garage

I talked with a dealer tonight that is good. He was at a show with other dealers and he said they all said if they were to do one upgrade it would be to update the swaybar. I drove a Rally and pushed it pretty hard. Dealer said the upgraded swaybar changes really helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I talked with a dealer tonight that is good. He was at a show with other dealers and he said they all said if they were to do one upgrade it would be to update the swaybar. I drove a Rally and pushed it pretty hard. Dealer said the upgraded swaybar changes really helps.
    I would agree with them. I ordered the upgraded swaybar for my Rally. The stock one wasn't bad but the front did seem a bit mushy and dive a little. My RS was really bad with front end dive. Swaybar upgrade made all the difference in the world. So, thought I'd just upgrade the Rally from day 1