Thread: 2 up shock?

Spyder Garage

Default 2 up shock?

Hello all, just a simple question here.
    I have a 2017 F3S and my wife is starting to ryde with me more often.
    I am about 160 lbs and she is around 140 lbs.

What is the difference between the stock rear shock and the 2-up shock and what benefits do I get for the upgrade?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Big improvement over the standard one with about twice the amount of coils on the spring. Gives a lot less bottoming out one or two up.

Your combined weights is less than we have for comparison purposes so I would think you would be fine with it. Good value upgrade.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

I am around 310lbs by myself, Sasr. I bought the F3-L that comes stock with the 2-up shock, and found that it bottomed out too frequently for me. I replaced it with a Wilbers. If you are looking to buy a new rear shock anyway, I would seriously look at whether you should buy a heavier duty Elka or Wilbers rear, just to be sure.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I had the "occasional two-up rear shock" installed at my dealer. Has a beefier spring than the stock shock. It has been fine for us. I'm 205 lbs.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    I had the "occasional two-up rear shock" installed at my dealer. Has a beefier spring than the stock shock. It has been fine for us. I'm 205 lbs.
    Do you also ryde with a passenger? What is your combined weight? Does it feel more rigid and does not bounce as much? Is that really the benefit?

Spyder Garage

I bought one against my better judgement. My wife talked me into it rather than spending the money for a Elka. I was very surprised that it stopped the bottoming out and increased ride quality. I thought I would be wasting money by buying a new shock twice, but my wife was right.