Spyder Garage

Default Oh, come on! My Brakes Are Locked Up!

I went the very short distance (about 2 blocks) from our community pool to our house, and I noticed when releasing the throttle it slowed down extremely quickly!

At idle speed & stopped, I tried to rock back or forth when & it didn't budge. Pulled in our nearby inclined driveway & it stopped and didn't roll back w/o even putting on parking brake! :shock: I touched all three rotors after a mere 2 block trek, and they were all burning HOT!!! - WTF???

Spyder Garage

You did release the parking brake I hope. It may sound like a foolish question but such things do happen. No intent to insult you by the way.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

If all three are hot, it might not be the park brake... on cars it doesn't engage all wheels, just one axle.

If all three are hot, it's probably not a wheel cylinder problem. Master cylinder not retracting, main brake line with some dirt in it acting as a check valve, or possibly something to do with the ABS unit? (Haven't had much experience working on the ABS.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    You did release the parking brake I hope. It may sound like a foolish question but such things do happen. No intent to insult you by the way.
    Yup! It immediately beeps if you try to take off with parking brake on (and it doesn't go anywhere until you release). It moved, but with resistance.

Spyder Garage

Update: That's weird! I checked it again after it sat for about an hour, and everything back to normal! Went for an even longer spin, and rotors were ice cold after.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    If all three are hot, it might not be the park brake... on cars it doesn't engage all wheels, just one axle.
    Yeah, I think the parking brake engages only the front wheels. All three rotors were burning hot.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post

If all three are hot, it's probably not a wheel cylinder problem. Master cylinder not retracting, main brake line with some dirt in it acting as a check valve, or possibly something to do with the ABS unit? (Haven't had much experience working on the ABS.)
    This is the way I'd lean too. Don't think there is any other way for all 3 systems to get this hot unless you're laying your foot on the brake peddle, something stuck in the brake peddle arm or jammed/stuck linkage applying the brakes by itself.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-27-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Did you adjust your foot pegs and brake pedal? Is it possible you were riding the brake pedal and wasn't aware of it?
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember at a Ryker showing in Pitts. Somebody adj. the pegs and the brakes got bound up and the tail lights were stuck on. May or not be your problem. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer View Post
    Did you adjust your foot pegs and brake pedal? Is it possible you were riding the brake pedal and wasn't aware of it?
    Nope. Set the same it was from dealership 400 miles ago.

I think the only time I had my foot on brake in the short trip was when I started engine.

Spyder Garage

The "parking brake" locks the transmission and not any brakes.

Spyder Garage

First time I adjusted my brake lever the brake light stayed on. Found a screw underneath in the end of the brake assembly, facing the rear. Can adjust it to where the lights are off.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

For all three rotors to get hot it would have to be the foot brake pedal or the brake control module (abs). Would be worth checking with the BUDS system.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    First time I adjusted my brake lever the brake light stayed on. Found a screw underneath in the end of the brake assembly, facing the rear. Can adjust it to where the lights are off.
    If it happens again, I'll check to see if brake light is on too. That would help to indicate where the problem is.

Spyder Garage

I got an 2008 spyder and I have the same problem. But only my front wheels lock up. after sit about 10 minutes back to normal . My hand brake cable goes only to my rear wheel . This weekend I`am gonna rebuild my brake system and see if it cure the problem. Will let you know

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Juny357 View Post
    I got an 2008 spyder and I have the same problem. But only my front wheels lock up. after sit about 10 minutes back to normal . My hand brake cable goes only to my rear wheel . This weekend I`am gonna rebuild my brake system and see if it cure the problem. Will let you know
    Possibly failing because they heat up too much and bind?

Mine has not done it again since quite a while ago.

Spyder Garage

This is the Ryker forum is it not? Why are there so many Spyder topics here? They are VERY different machines and advice for one is irrelevant to the other.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

The original post & the discussion in this thread for the first 14 posts is all about a Ryker with this problem Smokes, and the 15th post highlights one of the stand-out similarities between Rykers & Spyders. So yes, they may be very different machines, but there are still a LOT of common design, features, & systems, & certainly in this case, the initial cause of the problem & maybe even the fix for a Spyder just might be the same for a Ryker due to the shared components..... so as far as moderation is concerned, I don't see any problem with that post being here.

However, concerning the wider & more general application of your concern, you really should be aware that the site is now called SpyderLovers.com - Can Am Spyder and Ryker Three Wheel Motorcycles (now that BRP is making/selling both Spyders & Rykers ) & we know & can see that there's a lot of commonality between the platforms (as evidenced in this thread) so there undoubtably is going to be a lot of 'cross-pollination' on the boards, even if we will & do try to keep the specific &/or unique discussion, especially tech discussion, under the right headings... but we'll probably only move or moderate the specific &/or unique stuff.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!