Spyder Garage

Default Inspection vs service

In hitting 3,000 miles today I re-read the manual for 1st oil change, It says at 3,000 the Ryker should be inspected. This is not the same as a service to me. To me it mean check all fluid levels, filters, tire wear etc to check for problems. I don't believe it is necessary for warranty. It also says the first oil change is at 6,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

They do hook up to the BUDS system and check for any codes that might have occured as many do not show up to the driver but are stored by the computers. There are other things they check as well as and any softwear updates or bulletins that need adressing. I have always taken my vehicles in for the first service/inspection and then done my own work check the scheduled tasks in the owners manual. Having worked for several brands have seen things happen that could have been avoided had the bike been brought in for the first inspection. Still your choice ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My RT went in for the first inspection and then again for the first oil change just for the reasons that Chupaca stated. I do my own work now.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm currently at 1300 miles. When I get the 3000 miles I will change the oil myself and then take it in for the inspection. I can change the oil for half the price they charge. It's easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I'm currently at 1300 miles. When I get the 3000 miles I will change the oil myself and then take it in for the inspection. I can change the oil for half the price they charge. It's easy.
    I'm almost identical to your miles and will change at 2,500-3,000 with BajaRons HiFlo filters and Valvoline 5w40 MST Synthetic.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Please understand I am not trying to tell anyone how to service there machine, my feelings are updates, error codes if any (they should show up on the little dash) are the responsibility of Can Am warranty. Why pay out of pocket when there is a warranty. They do not say to change the oil at 3,000 but at 6,000. They also recommenced using XPS oil. I have always done my own maintenance on my own cars and kept records and receipts. They hint at at getting service from the dealer, when maybe it is not necessary. I have the oil and filter to change oil and I am over 3,000. I will wait until 6,000 or if I plan on a long trip change it before. At my first oil change I will rotate the front tires, replace both air filters, they are getting dirty.
    Some years ago when I was getting warranty work on my mustang, I saw the service department change over $400.00 for a new car inspection. No oil change or any maintenance. It was not necessary and really made me think. So what is suggested is not necessarily what is required in my opinion. I While I love my Ryker, I wish there manual was more like my Kawasaki manual. Just facts and not suggestions. Easy to understand and straight forward.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    Please understand I am not trying to tell anyone how to service there machine, my feelings are updates, error codes if any (they should show up on the little dash) are the responsibility of Can Am warranty. Why pay out of pocket when there is a warranty. They do not say to change the oil at 3,000 but at 6,000. They also recommenced using XPS oil. I have always done my own maintenance on my own cars and kept records and receipts. They hint at at getting service from the dealer, when maybe it is not necessary. I have the oil and filter to change oil and I am over 3,000. I will wait until 6,000 or if I plan on a long trip change it before. At my first oil change I will rotate the front tires, replace both air filters, they are getting dirty.
    Some years ago when I was getting warranty work on my mustang, I saw the service department change over $400.00 for a new car inspection. No oil change or any maintenance. It was not necessary and really made me think. So what is suggested is not necessarily what is required in my opinion. I While I love my Ryker, I wish there manual was more like my Kawasaki manual. Just facts and not suggestions. Easy to understand and straight forward.
    One thing that I would hope to get with an inspection is ensuring the torque is correct on the bolts. As I recall, a few of those bolts require a higher level than most civilian-level tools can handle.

Spyder Garage

WTF is a Civilian Level Tool? All you need is a 1/2" torque wrench that goes to 250 ft. lbs and some muscle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    WTF is a Civilian Level Tool? All you need is a 1/2" torque wrench that goes to 250 ft. lbs and some muscle.
    Compared to a professional level.
    I recall reading on these forums that some shops didn't have torque wrenches that went high enough to handle 250 ft lbs. I know that I don't have anything like that, but I've never needed one before.

Spyder Garage

I have enough tools to so most jobs, but there seem to always be something you don't have. I have 2 torque wrenched, neither will work .I still think buying the right tool is still less expensive than paying someone $100 an hour or more. Plus I like working on my own cars and stuff. I have seen some mechanics install plugs without setting the correct gap fist. Not good.