About a year ago Bfromla and I were discussing aux gas tanks and rear racks on the RS and I was moaning about the problems of sorting one out over here in New Zealand

Firstly the local dealers wanted about US$900 for the rear rack on the RS and didn't have any in stock anyway. Secondly the aux gas tanks for motorbikes just about impossible to get here. In both cases all the people who sold them in the US, Canada etc wouldn't ship them to New Zealand.

In the end I managed to find an eBay seller who had a rack for sale for US$90 who was willing to ship to NZ. Still cost me $550 once shipping and duty was added but at least I had one.

That still left the aux gas tank and I was planning to modify a gas can if I could find one suitable until...

DSC03725.jpg

While doing an endurance rally I was first on the scene of another rider who'd just fallen off his bike badly breaking his arm and wrist. His bike was the one with the aux tank on it in the photo above. A few weeks later he happened to mention he wanted to sell it as he'd got a new bike with a lot bigger main tank and I jumped at the chance.

So here's the result (and apologies for the state of Spyder in the photos but I've just finished another rally):
DSC_3450.jpg
DSC_3452.jpg
The tank is mounted to the rack lid with the fuel line fitting running through it as well. There is quick release on the fuel line in the hollow below, so the rack lid and tank can be removed easily. I've put Sugru (rubber compound) around anywhere the pipe goes through holes etc to stop any chance of it rubbing/freying.
DSC_3462a.jpg
I routed the fuel line along the right hand side of the Spyder making sure there was nowhere it would be crushed by the seat etc. Most of its hidden behind the plastic so I've drawn a red line below to show the route it takes. I've also made sure the pipe flows downwards with no kinks etc.
DSC_3478a.jpg
The pipe is connected to the vent outlet on the tank which would normally go to the canister (I've already removed that). This means that the main tank now vents through the aux tank. It also means that its just gravity fed with the main tank sucking through fuel from the aux tank as needed.

On the main tank I have a Stant gas cap that's not vented and so there's no problem with fuel escaping there, even though the aux tank is higher - I don't think I'd trust the standard can-am gas cap:-)

if I do remove the aux tank I have one end of a quick release to attach to the end so the pipe can still act as a vent.

When both tanks are empty I fill the main tank first, put the cap in place, and then fill the aux tank.

Made a huge difference when doing long distance rides, particularly when gas stations are far apart.