Spyder Garage

Default First 800mi with the Spyder RT

After a lot of deliberation, the wife and I decided on changing our scoot to three-wheels from two. We have been many places on our bike, and have racked up over 120,000 miles since we really started riding as a couple back in 2006. Short legs, getting older, bigger rider/passenger combo, and a top-heavy machine with luggage for touring adds up to a bad situation on uneven surfaces. I never dropped the machine, but it was inevitable and probably would have happened this year for sure.

I enjoy research, and decided the Can Am Spyder was the best choice and value on the three-wheel market. Lots of great features, overall reliability, ground-up design and hearing the 100,000 mile stories really sold me.

We took delivery of our 2018 RT Limited on March 12. For those that don't know Indiana, it isn't exactly riding season in early March. That did provide time to start figuring out the electronics.

Fast forward to now, and we have just a little over 800 miles on our Spyder. We have added a few small items, but nothing significant. The Baja Ron anti-sway bar was a must. The wife enjoys the fact that we won't drop the machine in gravel, we can whip around a U-turn in nothing flat.

For those considering moving from two- to three-wheels, there is a definite (and long) learning curve. Steering will feel touchy, and you will wander around in the corners because you are starting the corner way too soon. They are getting smoother, and I am entering/exiting them at ever increasing speeds. Just being on the machine has an odd feeling, and for me, crowned and uneven roads took some getting used to. I am learning to just relax and let the machine do its thing and not worry.

We have a four-day trip planned for May, so I hope I have completely settled in by then. If not, the Devils Triangle is going to have the pulse racing out of control! There are talks of more three- and four-day trips, and maybe even something much longer for just this year alone!

The more I ride this scoot, the more I enjoy it!
    Thanks for the read!

BTW: Two of my fellow club members trusted my research and switched from an HD trike, and two-wheels, over to the Spyder as well. It's great to have others to share stories and what we have learned so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

and on your new

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

and to this crazy world of Spyders. If you haven't done so read the page on do's and Don'ts esp. the later stuff that applies to the 1330. As soon as you can now that you have the swat bar get a laser alignment. You will find that your trike will settle down more after that. RIDE RIDE RIDE and you soon get the hang of things. Enjoy your trips.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Nice ride (I bought the same exact unit 2 days ago).

Where does one go for a "laser alignment"? And, do ALL Spyders benefit from a L.A.?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

As regards the laser alignment, the store where I work laser aligns every new Spyder. They do it as part of the set-up and inspection. Check out this YouTube video. Start at 4:18 https://youtu.be/r08AxT4rbLY

Spyder Garage

I read through the do’s and don’ts a few times before making the purchase. As far as alignment, iMotorsports was my dealer, so I assume they did it. I asked for the alignment and the 20.8 update, and the update was there. It tracks fine at 60mph hands off, so it seems good to me. I will probably get it checked at the first service just in case.
    The wife really likes the suspension. So much smoother than our old Ultra,

Spyder Garage

Welcome form another who, after many, many years of riding two wheels, and growing older all the while, decided to switch to a Spyder RT. As mentioned the learning curve can be longer than expected but it's not insurmountable, and eventually you'll most likely learn that it's hard to beat a Spyder for touring.

Like yours appears, mine is also the triple color threat of black, black and black. I'm not a big fan of stealth motorcycles so I've tried to brighten it up a little. It's still no match for my wife's bright red RT Limited but it does now have a bit of color.

Spyders02.jpg
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)