Spyder Garage

Question Crazy Fault Codes!

I haven't been able to take my 2012 Spyder RT SE5 to the dealer yet, so I figured I'd check out the list of faults the bike was registering. Aside from the "idiot lights", the actual fault codes were:

P0500 Invalid of missing speed on CAN (whatever the hell that means!)
    0003B YAW rate sensor value
    P2159 Vehicle speed not plausible (say what?)
    C0063 YAW rate sensor failure

Plus I have the "check engine", "ABS" and "limp home" messages flashing in turn. This is the oddest combination of things I can imagine since on one day, the bike starts and rides perfectly. The next day its the fault codes and idiot lights from hell. Tomorrow the lights and codes could be gone, and the bike will run perfectly. Does anyone have a clue about what's going on???

Spyder Garage

Maybe a 7year old battery

FIRST thing I'd check are the battery connections and battery condition.

Good luck,
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

You may also want to check the wiring going to the speed sensors on each wheel. The missing or invalid speed on the CAN BUS usually is caused by a misaligned sensor, a bad sensor or frayed wiring.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes Spyders throw codes because the battery is bad but sometimes they throw codes because there is a real problem like a bad yaw rate sensor.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Has any work been done lately...? laser alignment, wheel changes, brake work, fender lights etc. Any of these could knock a sensor out of place and throw codes. Battery is the other. Usually once you turn things off and let the computers re-set with the key out things clear up...some don't come back others do. They are all stored and will be seen when hooked up to BUDS. Those that come back need further looking into. Battery is a good starting point....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Good luck,
    Lew L
    The battery was replaced a year ago by the Can-Am dealer. I checked the connections...good and tight. If the battery has gone bad, I'll jump on the Can-Am dealer!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    You may also want to check the wiring going to the speed sensors on each wheel. The missing or invalid speed on the CAN BUS usually is caused by a misaligned sensor, a bad sensor or frayed wiring.
    I'll take a look, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for, other than a disconnected or loose wire. Its odd that there were NO problems at all, then this bunch just showed up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Has any work been done lately...? laser alignment, wheel changes, brake work, fender lights etc. Any of these could knock a sensor out of place and throw codes. Battery is the other. Usually once you turn things off and let the computers re-set with the key out things clear up...some don't come back others do. They are all stored and will be seen when hooked up to BUDS. Those that come back need further looking into. Battery is a good starting point....
    Nope, no work done on the bike...I've been planning on taking it up to the dealer for an oil change, annual check up, etc. But I can't do that if "limp home" continues. The dealer is 35 miles away through horrendous traffic. The battery was replaced last year by the dealer, so unless it has gone bad, it shouldn't be the problem. I'm thinking its a loose or disconnected wire some place, but I have to idea how to find it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Good luck,
    Lew L
    Battery replaced by Can Am dealer a year ago...I checked connections (under seat)...all are snug, no loose wires or ground.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I haven't been able to take my 2012 Spyder RT SE5 to the dealer yet, so I figured I'd check out the list of faults the bike was registering. Aside from the "idiot lights", the actual fault codes were:

P0500 Invalid of missing speed on CAN (whatever the hell that means!)
    0003B YAW rate sensor value
    P2159 Vehicle speed not plausible (say what?)
    C0063 YAW rate sensor failure

Plus I have the "check engine", "ABS" and "limp home" messages flashing in turn. This is the oddest combination of things I can imagine since on one day, the bike starts and rides perfectly. The next day its the fault codes and idiot lights from hell. Tomorrow the lights and codes could be gone, and the bike will run perfectly. Does anyone have a clue about what's going on???
    Insanity! I started the Spyder this morning...NO faults, NO codes! I did the 3 button check...blank screen. I took it for a 20 mile ride and everything was as fine as could be...no issues at all. Today's temp is in the low 60's so I'm wondering if the temperature could have effected the "nanny brain"? Also I changed out my wireless router (for the computer and all), and it broadcasts on a different frequency than my old one. I wonder if the signals from my old router were confusing the ECM??? Its all a mystery to me...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    Insanity! I started the Spyder this morning...NO faults, NO codes! I did the 3 button check...blank screen. I took it for a 20 mile ride and everything was as fine as could be...no issues at all......
    The Codes will only display on the 3 button check while they're active, which is why you need to grab them pretty much immediately when they appear & not turn the Spyder off until you have!! They'll all still be recorded on the system & waiting for BUDS to retrieve them tho.

Like most others, because of all the flashing idiot lights, I would've guessed at your problem being loose battery leads somewhere &/or a 'not so great' battery, but then like SpyderAnn says, those Bad Yaw Rate Sensor & assoc codes is a bit worrying, and IIRC that's not one often triggered by poor power delivery?! Maybe you should get it checked by your dealer anyway
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!