Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I seriously question this guy’s judgment. Between this throttle hold and the “successful” lanyard, it’s clear he doesn’t err to the side of safety first.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    Have you ever crashed a motorcycle?? Do you think the 1st or last thing you think of is twisting the throttle closed?
    The small amount of instantaneous push of the engine is minuscule compared to the inertia of the the bike in a crash. Don't expect to be just fine vs. seriously injured.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    The small amount of instantaneous push of the engine is minuscule compared to the inertia of the the bike in a crash. Don't expect to be just fine vs. seriously injured.
    Explain???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    Explain???
    The force of weight (bike & rider) times speed (inertial force) is massively higher than the torque of the engine's very small (comparatively) force pushing the bike with a throttle at steady speed. It takes very low HP to move a bike down the road at steady speed, so hence very little engine force.

Like if you crashed into a big snow bank with or w/o throttle on, you will likely come to a top in about the same place either way.

Spyder Garage

To each his own, but I think throttles are made to roll back automatically because of valid safety concerns. Cruise controls release at braking, so people are not trying to have their brains think in two directions at once in emergencies. Back in the day, a cousin had a throttle locked on his snowmobile, fell off, the machine went on without him, circled back and ran him over. If you had a heart attack, as was mentioned, you could be sending a Ryker on down the road and into the oncoming lane and hurt someone else too. A throttle locked like that is just not a good idea in my opinion. There are safer after market ways of dealing with hand fatigue. Still... you pay your money and take your chances... as they say. To each his own.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    To each his own, but I think throttles are made to roll back automatically because of valid safety concerns. Cruise controls release at braking, so people are not trying to have their brains think in two directions at once in emergencies. Back in the day, a cousin had a throttle locked on his snowmobile, fell off, the machine went on without him, circled back and ran him over. If you had a heart attack, as was mentioned, you could be sending a Ryker on down the road and into the oncoming lane and hurt someone else too. A throttle locked like that is just not a good idea in my opinion. There are safer after market ways of dealing with hand fatigue. Still... you pay your money and take your chances... as they say. To each his own.
    Be superfluously cautious if you want, but in the heart attack/passing out situation, your bike STILL has a lot of inertia going into oncoming traffic. Not likely you fall off your bike, and bike somehow keeps going down the road for miles. Almost immediately with or w/o throttle lock, your bike is gonna end up in ditch lying down. whether it is idling or running at high RPM would be irrelevant.

Ummm..... a snowmobile is VERY different than a bike. They most certainly should have a wrist lanyard, that when you fall off, it shuts engine off, just like a jetski!!!

Spyder Garage

I don't want to get into a fight... but if this is such a good and safe idea.. why isn't this a standard feature on motorcycles? The snowmobile accident was before safety lanyards... and hence the throttles roll back and lanyards cut the engines on those machines now. You seem very unconcerned about how your choices might inpact the lives of others. A slowing down bike is better than a full speed bike in my book, if I were to encounter it. You obviously have strong opinions and your german screenname fits you well. Ride safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Be superfluously cautious if you want, but in the heart attack/passing out situation, your bike STILL has a lot of inertia going into oncoming traffic. Not likely you fall off your bike, and bike somehow keeps going down the road for miles. Almost immediately with or w/o throttle lock, your bike is gonna end up in ditch lying down. whether it is idling or running at high RPM would be irrelevant.

Ummm..... a snowmobile is VERY different than a bike. They most certainly should have a wrist lanyard, that when you fall off, it shuts engine off, just like a jetski!!!
    does a can am Ryker or spyders engine shut off with the loss of the rider??

Spyder Garage

No, the thottle snaps back to low ... there is no lanyard to stop the engine. As was stated, that safety feature is on snowmobiles and jetskis.

Spyder Garage

No, the thottle snaps back to low ... there is no lanyard to stop the engine. As was stated, that safety feature is on snowmobiles and jetskis.
    You comment sounds contradictory. Either a snowmobile has a wrist lanyard that shuts off engine when you fall off, or it doesn't. Which is it?

Spyder Garage

IMG_20190506_123832490.jpg Here is what I use. It is easy on and off ... allows an easy rest when hand cramps and space for a full grip on the throttle when that is wanted. It is rubber and stretches to fit without causing the throttle on the RS to bind. I was able to push the foam grip covers over a bit to make a space for this device. It was an EBAY special. I also have a larger crampbuster from a previous bike as a backup should this wear out. Just throwing an idea out there. As for you, Aufgeblasen, if you would have read the prior question, my answer to him would have made sense. I too am tired of you. I will not give you any more attention, which you obviously desire. Ride safe and try a little humility and tact. Drop mic. Now you can get the last word!

Spyder Garage

I don't want to get into a fight... but if this is such a good and safe idea.. why isn't this a standard feature on motorcycles?
    No "technical reason not to. The MAIN reason, is because "that is the way its always been", no other real reason. But another reason would be why it is not on cars, having a cupped throttle instead of spring loaded flat on; the lawyers! Anything remotely likely to result in a single lawsuit won't be found on a vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Mod Stuff:

Any more arguing or disrespect....and the deletes will kick in. We have already received a black triangle complaint on this thread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Mod Stuff:

Any more arguing or disrespect....and the deletes will kick in. We have already received a black triangle complaint on this thread.
    What the heck does that mean?
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-06-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Giphy was unecessary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sledder View Post
    The only safe cruise type item. Go to Google and type in crampbuster. Completely safe and releases automatically when let go. Your hand only has to lay on the bars to cruise.
    Easy to install de install? Seems like a good option.

Spyder Garage

It means people reading the thread have objected to the tone of the responses. The black triangle is how you flag a post for review by the mods.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

9F8B80CE-A491-4D70-8D60-D7A01CEDB7A1.jpg

I Installed the atlas throttle lock on mine today. Works pretty good. I posted a video on the ryker page on FB. The release button is pretty sensitive, it disengages with a light tap or just roll the throttle fwd. Jus my 2¢.

Spyder Garage

Let’s keep this on topic and keep it civil. So play nice.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black