Spyder Garage

Default 2018 tech question

I have a 2018 RT Ltd. and have a techy question that I can't quite figure out if there is a answer or not... to start with I have a sena 10S unit on the helmet, a Samsung S10.. with both the genius maps and sygic for navigation on the BRP connect. When I connect and the sena unit tells me I am connected to the phone and BRP connect, I suddenly lose my audio from the phone (podcasts, pandora, even music from the brp connect choice).. BUT if the BRP connect looses it's connection because I made a call and the phone locks up (I do have smartlock set up for the BRP connect, but it still sits and spins on the screen...I have tried to have the podcast or whatever up when connecting to the brp connect, but it is just nothing... so is the Bluetooth connection with the phone, helmet and spyder just a confusion for everything? I do have all audio running thru the Bluetooth speakers helmet, per the settings choice on the screen for the spyder. Hope I didn't make this too complicated .. and Thanks for any help.

Rick.
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Spyder Garage

Go to the settings menu and look up the software version of the dash. Anything less than 20.8. Having it updated fixes a lot of problems.

Make sure the phone is not paired to both the dash and headset.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I do have the phone paired to both... which would I unpair... I suppose the helmet since the bike would need it for BRP connect?
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Spyder Garage

Most phones can only connect in A2DP mode (Stereo Audio) to one device at a time. Most phones can only connect in HFP (Hands Free Profile) to one device at a time. Not sure of your Samsung specs. The Spyder dash needs your phone to be connected in both these modes.

Your Sena headset can only be connected In A2DP mode to one device at a time. It can connect to 2 HFP devices. But one has priority over the other for connecting to a GPS.

So if your phone is paired to both the dash and the headset. How it will work will depend on which devices gets to connect first and beat out the other device.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

ok.. thanks.. it always says connected to phone first...then connected to "device" I am assuming the can am as it shows a picture of the helmet..so will check the software version of the dash..although they did have to replace the dash last fall because of the screen going into a mashed state.. thanks for your help.. sounds like I may have to either use the fm in the helmet or not connect to the brp connect via the cord, which then lets me listen to the phone (podcasts and such).
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Spyder Garage

I have the Sena SNH10 helmet headsets. Your 10S is suppose to be an updated version of mine. So it should function very similar. When my my headset says phone connected. It is connected to the dash in phone mode. When it says phone it does not mean the actual phone. When your headset says device connected. That means a second device has connected in HFP mode. It will treat it like a GPS. When audio comes from it. It will mute the other audio source.

The latest dash software level is 20.8. If your dash was updated last fall it will likely be at 13.2. Current update 20.8 will allow FM and AUX from your radio to be sent to headset. The way it should have been from the beginning. Also has some bug fixes and adds a new feature of mileage to empty in the left screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Ok..sounds like a trip to get the update..wI'll make the call and do the ride..anything to get in a ride!!!

Thanks!!!
    Rick.
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Spyder Garage

Thanks to billybovine on the heads up to the BRP software update... I contacted my dealer.. they stated since it wasn't a warranty activity, I would be charged about $120. for the download IF there is one... when I explained a couple of issues like if I try to make a phone call while riding, it wipes out BRP connect.. he then agreed that isn't right.. so I will get my upgrade (hopefully). it is frustrating on how getting a software upgrade is all over the board, from free to a charge.. guess the dealers got to make money, but ...
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhallanger View Post
    Thanks to billybovine on the heads up to the BRP software update... I contacted my dealer.. they stated since it wasn't a warranty activity, I would be charged about $120. for the download IF there is one... when I explained a couple of issues like if I try to make a phone call while riding, it wipes out BRP connect.. he then agreed that isn't right.. so I will get my upgrade (hopefully). it is frustrating on how getting a software upgrade is all over the board, from free to a charge.. guess the dealers got to make money, but ...
    My dealer originally was going to charge me for an update, but the technician said it was (should be) warranty since it fixed things that did not work from the start. You are on the right track with the issue discussion. This said, $120 is ridiculous. My dealer was going to charge me $40 plus tax, it took less than 15 minutes once the tech started work on it. Sounds like they are charging $360 to $480 per hour in real terms...…..no way does it take an hour.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhallanger View Post
    Wow $120 for a job that should take less than 15 minutes. That from the time the tech drives it into the shop and drives it out again.

You still have not confirmed the software level on your display. If it is less then 13.2. BRP may pay for it.

Have you cleared all your pairings and started over? Not pairing the phone to the helmet?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

no I haven't cleared out the pairings.. I did mention about when I make a call on connect while riding, brp connect stops and says it is loading but never comes back, until I physically shut the engine off and pull the phone cord out and restart.. so they felt that was a warranty situation.. when they replaced the dash last fall they had it setup for 13.2.
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Spyder Garage

Connect your phone to BRP Connect only (not to your Sena). Now connect your Sena headset to BRP Connect as bluetooth output instead of speakers.
    Phone <> Bike
    Headset <> Bike
    disconnect (un-pair) your headset from your phone.