Spyder Garage

Default Is this handling/Road performance normal?

I just purchased a used 2014 RT Limited with 21000 miles on it. The spider is in very good shape and was well kept. I have changed the oil and filter and a new air filter also to become familiar with that process. As a new Spyder rider and have nothing to compare to I have the following question.
    It feels as though the bike wants to dive with very little steering inputs.
    Is this the norm or do you thing something is worn to the point it needs replacing?

Thanks Bill

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

To both the spyder world and this sometimes odd site... Seriously doubt anything is worn out but a few things to consider...
    The death grip that is oh so common for new commers....relax your grip and steer with ease as there is the Dynamic Power Steering...DPS that can counter act jerky moves.
    check your tire pressure and make sure the fronts are equally filled to your choosen pressure.
    check the shock settings if you have any or add them if you don't
    get a laser alignment if you haven't already .... most are out of alignment even from the dealer
    give yourself 300 to 500 miles to get used to the machine and it will be better with every ryde....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The 'Dive' is normal for a stock Spyder. Especially an RT. You'll have to change suspension components to make any significant difference in this respect.

The Twitchy, Darting effect that you may be experiencing is more operator error than a mechanical deficiency (assuming that the alignment is good). The Spyder, unlike a 2 wheeled motorcycle, responds instantly to any input to the handlebars. The same input on a motorcycle that will result in little or no reaction at all, can be very noticeable, and even disturbing on the Spyder. Because your brain is telling you, you didn't do anything. But in reality, you did. Relax your fingers, then your wrist, then your forearm, then your shoulders. You will greatly reduce fatigue and the twitchyness will go away as well.

3 wheels will tend to exaggerate any anomalies in the road surface, whereas you would never notice them on 2 wheels.

Relax and give it time. As you gain experience with the Spyder you'll discover what is mechanical deficiencies and what is operator error. The deficiencies can be addressed if you feel the need.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-25-2019 at 07:30 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    To both the spyder world and this sometimes odd site... Seriously doubt anything is worn out but a few things to consider...
    The death grip that is oh so common for new commers....relax your grip and steer with ease as there is the Dynamic Power Steering...DPS that can counter act jerky moves.
    check your tire pressure and make sure the fronts are equally filled to your choosen pressure.
    check the shock settings if you have any or add them if you don't
    get a laser alignment if you haven't already .... most are out of alignment even from the dealer
    give yourself 300 to 500 miles to get used to the machine and it will be better with every ryde....
    +1
    AND.....at that mileage, new (non-Kenda) tires might help too.

Most riders adjust to it fairly quickly.
    I think it might be more difficult the longer that you had been on 2 wheels.
    After a year and 7K miles, I'm still fighting with mine......and am almost down to where the remaining instability probably is bad roads and my sensitivity.

Spyder Garage

Give it 1000 miles or so before you get too antsy, and do all of the relaxation tips given. After learning to "go with the flow" of the Spyder, you'll likely feel better on it. It simply cannot be compared to a two wheeler. There are many things that you can start throwing money at, but give it a while first.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After owning 2 wheelers for longer than dirt has been around, I bought a spyder and at about 400 miles I started to get the hang of it. What helped me most to acclimate were my years of herding cows on a quad. Chasing a crazed heifer without a nanny being in control is to say the least, thrilling! Another excellent and very useful source of helpful information here on this site is the "Do's and Don'ts" section. Check it out, you'll be glad you did.

Spyder Garage

and on your RT purchase. All above have given some good advice about the handling issues. Give it 500 miles or so before making any changes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

&

If you haven't already this is a good read for all newcomers to the club!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another thing to keep in mind is on a two wheeler you have the gyroscopic effect of the rotating front tire that wants to keep the front tire in a set direction. The gyroscopic effect resists minute inputs into the handlebar. There is no noticeable gyroscopic effect with the spyder because the front tires are not free to lean in response to turning inputs, hence no resistance to handlebar movements. That's one reason why the Spyder can feel twitchy!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That's one reason why the Spyder can feel twitchy!
    One of many reasons, it seems.

I realized yesterday that I had lapsed back into an old bad habit and when I consciously stopped doing it, some of the twitchiness went away.
    Well, most of it actually....what is left after alignment.

HEAD UP AND LOOK DOWN THE ROAD. Look through the turns.
    Do NOT look at the road immediately in front of you.
    You will unconsciously see the road close to you even if you aren't looking right at it.
    Along with "loosen your grip on the bars" you might be amazed at how much better it is.

This kind of goes along with the "target fixation" problem.
    That is, you will GO where you are LOOKING.
    If you are looking at the edge of the pavement or at the other lane........that is where you will GO unless you constantly fight it.

Allowing your "wide view" and sub-conscious brain to do most of the routine tracking really does work better.........on 2 wheels or 3.

Spyder Garage

Ride man ride - AT least 1000 miles, before making adjustments.