Spyder Garage

Default Sport handlebar install on the Ryker

Installed the sport handlebars today on my Ryker. They have about an inch less reach/pullback. The problem is they are a gloss black (shows scuffs) and about 1.5 inches longer. Being longer isn't a bad thing, but they located the keyed holes for the hand controls the same distance from center as the stock handlebars. As you can see in the picture that leaves a .75 inch space between the grips and the bar end mirrors.

IMG_0238.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the look of the sport bars and the wider length but, I think I would drill the control pin holes to make the mirror mounts fit like the stock mounts. That way you get the full advantage of the wider bars. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I like the look of the sport bars and the wider length but, I think I would drill the control pin holes to make the mirror mounts fit like the stock mounts. That way you get the full advantage of the wider bars. cueman
    That's the plan. Tomorrow may be a rainy day so time to drill. I like the looks of the sport bar better than stock too. Also, more space for accessories without having to deal with bends in the bar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please post an updated pic. Also, knowing what you found out, a person could buy a regular bar they like and drill their own holes and probably save a few dollars. cueman

Spyder Garage

Default Let us see....

Looks like you found the solution... make sure you update the picture so we can see your handy work...Only other solution would be to cut the ends off and have the mirrors flush again...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

For which sport?

They look like regular ones. What's the difference?

Spyder Garage

Please post an updated pic. Also, knowing what you found out, a person could buy a regular bar they like and drill their own holes and probably save a few dollars. cueman
    After drilling new index holes and moving controls. Picked up a 7/8 inch handlebar from Iron Pony to try your suggestion.

IMG_0239.jpg

Spyder Garage

Sweeet!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Beautiful job, nice customizing. How do they feel? cueman

Spyder Garage

Beautiful job, nice customizing. How do they feel? cueman
    They feel good. May be my imagination, but feels like I have more control and less jerking. The reduced reach feels a lot better too.

Spyder Garage

I've never changed handlebars so I have no idea what I'm talking about... how is it to remove/replace the throttle side?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kmonroe99 View Post
    I've never changed handlebars so I have no idea what I'm talking about... how is it to remove/replace the throttle side?
    I can only speak to issues I had with the install of the Sports handlebar, which I explained in this thread. Removing the controls aren't difficult, but as I explained you will need to drill new index holes for the controls, as explained above. Removing the left grip was the most difficult, but wasn't that difficult. Use air compressor to force air under the grip while pulling it off.

Approach the project methodically and use common since. What I mean is walk through each step that you are going to take and consider what that step will do or affect the next step. For example: you don't unbolt the handlebars before your remove the grips and controls. It doesn't make any since to do it that way.

If wrenching on your bike is beyond your comfort level then pay to have it done. When wrenching on your bike, you are going to make mistakes and you learn from them.

Spyder Garage

Hi bcraig it's a gap probably for hand guards? Regards Nico 75