Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ecarrion View Post
    Triker...do you have a p/n for the hub cone?
    Let me check. believe I got off ebay with a 40mm hole and outside was small like 2 to 3 inches??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Am View Post
    I made them track down the "tech" who mounted them, and he told me they never balance Spyder wheels...."they are so small, they don't need it"!!!
    I hope that "tech" is out of your life forever. I balance scooter tires down to 12" diameter, because they go up to 90 MPH.
    MV^2/R is the relevant equation; the small R is about proportional to the small M, it's the V-squared that gets you.
    Point: It's not the size of the rubber, it's the speed of the deed. (I just made that up.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-11-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

My son use to have a shop ,he kept the snap on tire machine and balancer .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    My son use to have a shop ,he kept the snap on tire machine and balancer .
    Not sure which model Snap On balancer he has. My Snap On balancer has three modes. Static, Dynamic, and Fine.

Static places weight along the rims centerline. Yes static can provide rotational balance but fails to provide side to side balance to eliminate precession.

If carefully done, you can dynamic balance Spyder front tires. For this I purchased weights pre-painted to match the rims color, black on our Spyder. The weights are then placed at the rims edge, just inside of the flange. On the outside you place them between the spokes.

I have dynamic balanced a bunch of Spyder front wheels, even the RT622 trailer wheels. The method works very well if done correctly AND the tire is not defective.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ecarrion View Post
    Triker...do you have a p/n for the hub cone?

You may need to know the tire balancer make and model in order to purchase the adapter cone. A good shop should have no issues having the proper adapter. In the past folks here inquired if the shop had the ability to balance Smart Car wheels, seems that adapter works on the Spyder also.

Spyder Garage

The Centramatic wheel balancers from Lamonster work great on my 2015 RT-S. Just don't forget to remove all the old weights.

Spyder Garage

I had pulled the tire/wheels off my Spyder and took them to Discount Tire in Burlington, NC where I was having my truck tires balanced and rotated. I bought the two Hankook tires there and they could not mount or balance them because they said they didn't have the small cone needed for the Spyder wheels. I then went to two more tire shops in Burlington and got the same story.

Honda, Sea-Doo and Can-Am of Winston Salem, NC
    https://www.hondaws.com/

TIRES! Mega kudos to Honda, Sea Do and Can-Am of Winston Salem, NC! A Platinum dealer and the largest in the tri-state area. Their top Spyder Technician, Steve, has been working on Spyders since they first came out in 2008. He's a great guy and will take the time to talk to the customer and show them what he's doing. Although they are 1.25 hours and about 65 miles from the house, I rode there and had them install a pair of Hankook Ventus V4 ES - 175/55R15 77T Tires I had purchased from Discount Tire. They also performed a belt alignment and 3-wheel laser alignment. WOW! What a difference! It's like a completely different machine now. No more shake or wobble in the handlebars or mirrors. Although the stock Kendas only had 3k on them, I told them to trash 'em.

AND ... they offer Military/Veteran discounts.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpopdan View Post
    The Centramatic wheel balancers from Lamonster work great on my 2015 RT-S. Just don't forget to remove all the old weights.
    We do not run the Centramatics on our machine, but a while back the discussions leaned towards using quality tires that were well balanced, and let the Centramatics fine balance them. Apparently, there is a limit to how much imbalance a Centramatic will correct.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpopdan View Post
    NO. Do not remove old weights. The tire/wheel assembly needs to be balanced first, then apply the Centramatics. The small centramatics used for Spyders can only handle about 2 oz of imbalance.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame