Spyder Garage

Default temp fix for air bag failure on a trip

Looking ahead ...……………..2014 RTL (in this case), anyone know of a temporary fix to keep the frame parts from bottoming out if the air bag has failed while on a trip? "Somehow" placing "something" in "someplace" to hold the frame components up (?).

Not sure you can ride at all, if the bag completely fails. Any experience with this

Thanks for input.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

If the air bag fails due to a leak in the bag, some folks have put Slime in the bag. If the pump system fails, there's always the Schrader valve.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Looking ahead ...……………..2014 RTL (in this case), anyone know of a temporary fix to keep the frame parts from bottoming out if the air bag has failed while on a trip? "Somehow" placing "something" in "someplace" to hold the frame components up (?).

Not sure you can ride at all, if the bag completely fails. Any experience with this

Thanks for input.
    If the air bag has a leak, it's probably going to be small, at least when it starts. It's pretty much protected from getting a large severe leak ( like a tire can )….. so imho, although it may be annoying, adding Air from a personal compressor is at best an in-convenience. … I honestly can't think of anything that can be used to temporarily re-place what the Air Bag provides ……. I would also love to know what a fix might be …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the compressor fails you can manually air up the bag if you unplug the the dump valve...Or you can run the schrader valve line from under the seat directly to the air bag and manually air it up...Both the above tasks require require removing the right side panels...Roadster Renovation has coil spring spacers (2) that can be installed in the rear shock coil spring that in most cases will you allow the bike to be ridden with a passenger (depending on their weight)...If you install these spacers before any air ride problems you can usually ride with your air ride setting one bar lower than your normal setting...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    If the compressor fails you can manually air up the bag if you unplug the the dump valve...Or you can run the schrader valve line from under the seat directly to the air bag and manually air it up...Both the above tasks require require removing the right side panels...Roadster Renovation has coil spring spacers (2) that can be installed in the rear shock coil spring that in most cases will you allow the bike to be ridden with a passenger (depending on their weight)...If you install these spacers before any air ride problems you can usually ride with your air ride setting one bar lower than your normal setting...larryd

Thanks for the reply Larryd. Just to be clear, my concern is if the air bag fails for some reason severely, and air in from the shrader valve just leaks out again...i.e., a BIG air bag leak, whatcan you do to ride it home say 200 miles? Like everyone else I am not expecting this soon or ever. However...……………………. just me overthinking an issue "again"
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Ray. A few years ago, we had to ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, and back to OH, with no air in the bag. Two up. There's nothing unsafe about it. But, you will feel the rear suspension bottom out over the big bumps. There's a big rubber bumper on the shock shaft, so it’s not as if there’s metal to metal contact. So, you won't destroy anything as long as you take it easy over bumps. If you're flying straight and level, the frame is still suspended by the coil spring. Worse thing is that the rough ride is kind of uncomfortable to your passenger.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

We also experienced a leak (one of the fittings) that dumped all the air and would not allow air to be pumped in as it would leak as quickly. Rode it for several 100's of miles until we could get it fixed. Rough ride, but no damage. We just took bumps slower.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe Doc Humpreys (Roadster Renovations) put slime in his air bag and worked until he made permanent repairs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post

Thanks for input.
    A more permanent fix for 2014 RT rear bladder failure, would be to install a new M2 rear shock; or new/used Fox, Wilbur, or Elka rear RT shock with a Single 700# 2 1/4" I.D. 8 inch long Eibach spring. Your 2014 RT rear shock with many miles on it probably needs replacing by now. The 700# single spring on new rear shock will hold both driver & passenger without air in bladder. Jim

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The base RT has never had an onboard compressor and I know of several people who took delivery of theirs with no air in the bag, for some of them it was thousands of miles later befire they found out they had no air. It will be a rough ride and you would have a hard time getting a jack under the rear of the bike but that’s it.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hey Ray. A few years ago, we had to ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, and back to OH, with no air in the bag. Two up. There's nothing unsafe about it. But, you will feel the rear suspension bottom out over the big bumps. There's a big rubber bumper on the shock shaft, so it’s not as if there’s metal to metal contact. So, you won't destroy anything as long as you take it easy over bumps. If you're flying straight and level, the frame is still suspended by the coil spring. Worse thing is that the rough ride is kind of uncomfortable to your passenger.
    Thanks Snowbelt Spyder That's the input I was looking for. We've experienced that exact thing when our compressor system failed - TWICE At those times I never asked anyone if the bottoming out was a serious ride problem or not, and we did feel the spyder was bottoming out at multiple times. and.....in each case we did make it home Thanks for refreshing me on my own experience.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Ray, Yep my compressor failed on a long ride. It would deflate in about an hour. We just stopped every hour and kept filling it up with our battery powered air supply or at gas stops.
    Since I'm a heavy dude myself (275 - 290 lbs) I think I'm gonna follow spyderyderjim's suggestion for my 2013. Even with a working airbag system, I'd rather have the full support.
    I wonder how the M2.Shocks ( a new SL Sponsor) compare to the Elka's etc?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Like DGoebel, I'm a hefty guy myself. I'm also getting a bit on the old side, and suffering from air bag compressor failure. My question is "can anyone share any insights on the Baker Built air compressor system?" I have viewed both Dr J's and Doc Humphreys youtube videos on compressor replacement. They both seem a bit more than I am up to at this stage of my life but the Baker Built system appears to be something I can handle. Any help? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Though I did disconnect the compressor, by pass the pressure valve, and run airline straight from the airbag top fitting direct to the schrader valve and now, the bag holds air.
    I think the compressor / adjustment fail more than the actual bag itself and simple is working better., Though I'm going to try some custom M2 shocks to see if the airbag is just a memory.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I just did the same thing. Wife I left Maine this morning for Nova Scotia. I checked the air pressure tonight and it was at 81.5 lbs. Good to go. If you loose the compressor and you're on a trip, and your air bag is ok, you can remove the RELAY that controls the ACS system. On my 2011 it is R1. This will keep your system from bleeding off air. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I have thought of a single spring eliminating the airbag but wonder how a 700# spring would act with a solo rider. The combined wt. on my machine . 2014 RT . is 300# . I have no compressor. So I wonder how I would calculate a spring rate that would work with solo and two up. Thank you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

motopilgrim, you have a PM...