Spyder Garage

Default Long Story of trouble with Sena SM10

Hello again Spyder Lovers. We have had a problem with the SM10 for almost a year....I won't relate all of the issues but I think I have narrowed the problem down to the location of the SM10. When it is mounted in the center of the rear trunk, it works perfectly for my wife. My signal seems to come and go and sometimes drops off completely. For a test, I set our helmets on our table, turned on the SM10 and headsets, used a Iphone for music. The SM10 was about 2 feet away form the helmets. It worked great. No interuptions with the signal for either headset....tried on the Spyder and it failed again.....I put the SM10 and Iphone in my pocket....my headset was great and my wife's failed. When the SM10 and Iphone was in my wife's pocket, it was perfect for her but not great for me. Question is, should there be so much difference with the location of the SM10? I will try under the seat, but I am doubtful. Sena have been patient with me but I am getting pretty frustrated. Motorcycle Dave thought I would maybe need to go to Sena 20sEvo. Any thoughts??? Sorry for being long winded.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting dilemma. I'll be following along but don't have any input yet.

My issue with the SM10 is inconsistent connection with my headset.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I mounted my SM10 under the seat in the trough on the gas cap side and it works perfectly. I posted some photos when I did this years ago.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I mounted my SM10 under the seat in the trough on the gas cap side and it works perfectly. I posted some photos when I did this years ago.
    Rob
    Rob, do you and your wife both listen to media fed through the same SM10?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had problems with my SENAs for a 'long time', I just suffer with it until I can get something better, that time is near. Needless to say, I would not buy another SENA product. Many have had good luck, I'm just not one of them.

Spyder Garage

I've got a pair of standalone SMH10 devices (no communication system for spyder) and never had a single issue I'm wondering if there is some sort of interference if you are saying works great at home.

Spyder Garage

Are you affected with AM/FM radio only ? If so and you have replaced your lights with LED that could be your problem.

Spyder Garage

I've had an S10 (I believe that is it that has no FM and attaches to my helmet) for a year now and have never had problems. Connected to my riding buddy and even talked to his wife while they were on the phone. That was at least 1/4 mile or further apart. I connect to the 2018 RT no problem especially now that BRP got the fixes in the latest update (20.8). Seems there is a hardware issue there someplace.
    John

2018 Spyder RT
    Custom Pinstriping by Fastripe.com see video @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/5icsez0g0w...iping.mp4?dl=0
    18" floor boards
    Ram mount phone X holder
    Ram mount cup holder

Spyder Garage

We only use our SM10's for communication (bike to bike). We do not try to play music or do other functions through them. For us, no problem, acceptable transmission range (about a quarter mile--direct sighrt), and noiseless operation.

Of three other brands I have used, (cardo, chatterbox, and nolan n-com), we prefer the Sena units. I currently own nolan and sena.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have had issues and will never buy another sena product, their support is as spotty as their equipment.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Just out of curiosity, try this. Your phone might be trying to Bluetooth in and messing things up. Ford and Chevy last year both had a problem and partial recall on their radio system for when it tried to link the phone and lets say ipod and communicator system all at once it produced some interference on all the devices. The ipod would skip, the phone would scratch and roam and the radio would not even turn on. I would try separate each device and literally turn your bike on first and let the sena pair and connect. Then turn on your phone and see if it happens and let it pair. If it does reverse pair your phone first then turn on bike and see if it pairs. One might be interfering with the other, especially with the iPhone. That was what was creating all the problems with Chevy and Ford. Finally see if your dash is completely updated. Both makes made us take it into the service center and they reflashed the system. Apparently it tried to update by satellite and the update didn’t fully complete and the phone messed it up.

I have had sena for a bit now and have the 20 evos’s Now. I have the direct pod connected to the helmet and never had a problem with either.