Thread: programming key

Spyder Garage

Question programming key

Does anyone know how to program a new key for a 2016 Spyder RT. Thanks

Spyder Garage

You need someone with BUDS loaded on their laptop, current licence and a MPI cable to plug into your Spyder. In most cases that will be the dealer. But some folks other then the dealer in your area may have that. But not likely.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You have to take it to the dealer with the original Key and it needs to be hooked up to buds to program it

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

I might be wrong because of my limited experience with Spyders, but the Owners Manual says you need to take the SECOND ("spare") key that came with the Spyder to a dealer for them to do it. And if you don't have the "spare key" (lost them both?) you are out of luck and have to replace the entire key barrel, etc, for them to make new keys for the bike ($$$).

EDIT: I cross posted with the above 2 posts. They got there first.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Good point. If he does not have any keys to copy. Then a new ignition switch time.

PS New ignition switch comes with 2 new keys. But you still have to plug it in to make the keys work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

As others have said, BUDS is required to program a new key to the bike. The old keys are not all required unless all 8 positions have been used up on the DESS module. Also while an ignition key is needed to turn the DESS module on, it does not have to be a chipped key. BUDS works no matter if DESS is cleared or not. That is the root of the security flaw in the system and what makes DESS useless as a protection device. It can simply be turned off even without the keys present. It only serves as an annoyance to keep the owner from riding when it fails.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Good point. If he does not have any keys to copy. Then a new ignition switch time.

PS New ignition switch comes with 2 new keys. But you still have to plug it in to make the keys work.
    I think any really competent locksmith should be able to figure out the key cutting profile, right? Once the key is cut and turns then it can be added to the DESS. Does need to be a Can-Am chipped key.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have heard on another site that a man on E-bay will make you a key for about $50. Maybe worth a try.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderherb View Post
    I have heard on another site that a man on E-bay will make you a key for about $50. Maybe worth a try.
    That's about what the dealer will charge for a Can Am chip key. Cutting maybe free to ~$10 depending on who does it. But it still has to be programmed into the DESS by the dealer using BUDS.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I think any really competent locksmith should be able to figure out the key cutting profile, right? Once the key is cut and turns then it can be added to the DESS. Does need to be a Can-Am chipped key.
    You understand correctly. We handled a lost keys situation for a customer in exactly this manner. The locksmith charges (about $150) were far cheaper than replacing the ignition.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Just another comment. There should be no reason that clone key cannot be made by a locksmith with the correct blank and chip. For a 2014 and later model. Just because no one on this board has done one. Does not mean it can't be done. Until I posted in 2013 that I had a cloned key made. Everyone said it could not be done. In fact, several months ago, a person on facebook stated that he wanted another key made for his late model Spyder. His dealer recommended a local locksmith. The locksmith had the correct blank, chip and cloning machine to do it. In 10 minutes he had another working key.

2018 F3 LIMITED