Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crotch numbness

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    https://youtu.be/1zdDfQrPi5Q
    Not trying to imply anything!
    How do I clean out the coffee I spit on my computer watching that? There should have been a warning it was so funny.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    ...AND it is only $79.95 NOT several hundred dollars
    you would pay for a new seat that most likely will not be much if any better than the one you have.
    I'm sorry to have to say this, but I just can't ignore it. So if anybody wants to ban me from the forum for it, so be it.

The above is simply NOT an accurate statement and should NOT be allowed in any forum reply to someone asking for FACTUAL information to their question.

We have a saying in the Teaching/Education community..."You are entitled to your own OPINIONS, but you are NOT entitled to your own FACTS".

To say something like a new seat "most likely will not be much if any better than the one you have" is not applicable to EVERY RIDER. In some (many) cases, it may be the ONLY solution to their problem. There are NO MAGIC BULLETS for EVERYONE'S ergonomic solutions to riding a motorcycle.

And if recommending a gel implant that the rider has to cut the original seat apart to insert, then put the seat back together again doesn't result in having a "new seat" vs "the (old) one you have", I don't know what would. I would be forced logically to conclude that the "new gel implanted" seat would ALSO be "no better than the one the rider had" to begin with either. You can't have it both ways. Regardless of how you tear the seat apart to "fix it", you logically will end up with a "new seat" when you are done.

I understand and can sympathize and empathize with marketing methods, but please don't imply that ANY product is the "better than" or "magic bullet" solution to someone's ergonomic problem. It just isn't factual information if you do that. And that is a disservice to the entire riding community when it happens.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Seat issues and numbness

I have tried several seats and pads to solve my issues of hip and male hardware discomfort with the stock saddle on my Spyder ST.
    I understand numbness and seated pain when long distance touring.
    My first was a Sheep Skin seat cover - OK but not much better than the stock seat.
    Second a BRP Comfort Seat - NO improvement over stock.
    Third a waffle pad like the purple pad - BETTER but I lost all feeling of stability when cornering.
    Fourth, I talked to Dave and installed a Motorcycle Dave Gel seat pad - IT WORKS and is my choice for comfort.
    I rode from Pittsburgh, PA to Reno, NV with no numbness or major pain.
    IN MY OPINION the MC Dave seat pad is worth every penny and delivers comfort.
    BTW, I've used Russell and Laam on my previous Honda ST1300 and Terry Adcox on my previous VStrom 650. All custom and rather expensive in comparison.
    On my Spyder I've found a solution that works well without breaking the bank. Again just my opinion from my experience.
    David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I may be visiting Dave's solution if the airhawk is uncomfortable or slips around on this journey. I have had good luck with it in previous applications and have appreciated the airflow through it. Gels are good, but get hot in sunlight. Have had a Saddleman gel seat on a prior ride too. Like one post said though, everyone has different needs and what works for one may not work for someone else. Thanks for the humorous post earlier... made my day. Old guys rule!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One thing that no one has addressed as a possible cause for the numbness is the position of the handlebars. If you are leaning forward to reach them you may be putting pressure on your jiggly bits. TriAxis handlebars could help with that but they are nearly as pricey as a custom seat.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler I am also an AirHawk fan. Switching on and off works but also changing air pressure. If i’ll Really getting fatigued slightly over inflating works well. I’ve found most people running more air in the Hawks than necessary. It’s best with butt lightly touching seat in couple places.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

Jiggly bits? Getting out my dictionaries and encyclopedias... time for research!

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much.

Spyder Garage

One other thing I forgot to mention. For those rides that span 18 hours a day, bicycle compression shorts and powder. Those really helped keeping the old bits from clanking around and getting chaffed.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey4201 View Post
    any advice for long trips that result in numbness in the lower extremities? thanks!!
    It's probably your age causing that pesky "Crotch Numbness"!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention. For those rides that span 18 hours a day, bicycle compression shorts and powder. Those really helped keeping the old bits from clanking around and getting chaffed.
    +1 But if you don't want to have to mess with the powder on long rides, get a pair of quality wicking material undershorts ("base layer") like the LD's. Not cheap at $50/pair, but they have no seams, absorb moisture to prevent the dreaded "Monkey Butt" without having to use powders, and you can hand wash them in a sink (like in a hotel room), ring them out then roll them up once in a towel (to remove most of the remaining water in them), then hang them up on a door or towel rack or whatever and they will be clean and totally dry the next morning. They last forever. I used the same pair for my entire 85K riding miles over 5 years before my accident 3 years ago (just hand wash/rinse them at the end of the day's ride). They provide the same "support for the family jewels" and no messing with powders, etc.

https://ldcomfort.com/Mens-Riding-Shorts.html
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    ....... over 5 years before my accident 3 years ago (just hand wash/rinse them at the end of the day's ride).....
    I'd suggest that the 'hand wash/rinse at the end of the day' would be pretty much essential after any 'real' near misses you might have as well as after any actual accidents!

Regardless, good call Falcon, those 'wicking' riding shorts are pretty good gear, well worth the initial expense when you consider how comfortable you can remain!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

we like our Bead Riders but after 3 years, bought a Mustang Seat with the driver and passenger backrests. A world of difference.
    still use the bead riders on hot days or after a while on the road if needed.

Spyder Garage

Well since this thread got bumped I’m gonna say SpyderAnn still wins with “jiggly bits”.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White